Eggon or Ay-gon?

The Dornish Direwolf

It has to be AY-gon, eggon sounds stupid.

I pronounce certain Targaryen names differently

Aerys= AIR-is

Jaehaerys= jay-HAIR-is

Daemon= DAY-mawn

Rhaenys= RAY-nis

Viserys= vi-SAIR-is

ETA: The 'ae' in Aegon can still be pronounced as 'ay', even though his nickname is Egg, because there are different pronuciations of the word, egg.

Also I'm sure most people pronounce it this way so you are not different.

Everyone saying "Ay-gon" has obviously never read Dunk & Egg. It's very clear from those novels that it's pronounced "Egg-on." It's not how I pronounced it in my head before either, but once it was stated as such, I changed it.

The boy looked miserable. “I never meant to lie.”

“But you did. About everything. Starting with your name. I never heard of a Prince Egg.”

“It’s short for Aegon. My brother Aemon named me Egg. He’s off at the Citadel now, learning to be a maester. And Daeron sometimes calls me Egg as well, and so do my sisters.”

It'd make no sense for his nickname to be "Egg" if it were pronounced "Ay-gon" imho. Continuing to call him "Ay-gon" would be like continuing to call Hermione whatever most people thought it was pronounced in our heads before JKR clarified. :lol:

Everyone saying "Ay-gon" has obviously never read Dunk & Egg. It's very clear from those novels that it's pronounced "Egg-on." It's not how I pronounced it in my head before either, but once it was stated as such, I changed it.

The boy looked miserable. “I never meant to lie.”

“But you did. About everything. Starting with your name. I never heard of a Prince Egg.”

“It’s short for Aegon. My brother Aemon named me Egg. He’s off at the Citadel now, learning to be a maester. And Daeron sometimes calls me Egg as well, and so do my sisters.”

It'd make no sense for his nickname to be "Egg" if it were pronounced "Ay-gon" imho. Continuing to call him "Ay-gon" would be like continuing to call Hermione whatever most people thought it was pronounced in our heads before JKR clarified. :lol:

I wouldn't put that much emphasis on it. Eggon still sounds close enough to Aygon to make the joke work, remember that's it supposed to be a stupid nickname.

If it's Eggon it would also be Rheggar and Mekkar, do you seriously want that to be the case?

Archived