Why do people think Arya will die? (Just curious, not defensive).

Cloud

I've been reading the books pretty closely, and Arya is actually one of the characters who I think has a solid chance of surviving the series.

I'm surprised that a lot of this forum seems to expect her to die. So I'm just curious and I think I probably missed a lot of hints in the books.

Care to share your reasons why you think GRRM will kill her off? Personally I don't see the point - she's become an assassin, by the end of the series I always got the impression that she'd live the rest of her life as a hermit in braavos.

Was there any prophecy/foreshadowing that I missed?

"The lone wolf dies" and "When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers.” seems to be the main quotes people cite as foreshadowing for her death. Personally I think she will be fine, she is the ultimate survivor in the series.

"The lone wolf dies" and "When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers.” seems to be the main quotes people cite as foreshadowing for her death. Personally I think she will be fine, she is the ultimate survivor in the series.

Wow that second quote says a bunch of things! Do you remember where it was mentioned though?

Arya is also a character who would definitely survive and get a happy end in a classic fantasy story. Little girl gets wronged when she is young, trains to become an expert at murdering people, and gets her revenge on those who wronged her.

GRRM loves to take those kind of story cliches, and slaps us in the face with a whiff of reality. And Arya is still a little girl, a loner, she overestimates herself and often acts from the gut. It's really a miracle that she hasn't gotten herself killed already.

That being said, I have no idea what GRRM has in mind for Arya. I don't believe she'll finish her training with the Faceless Men though. It's said to take years, and I don't think we have "years" left.

There is also that "I hope your princess dies" she says to Elmar Frey when she is in fact that said princess.

I don't feel like her fate depends on those though. In my opinion there are two important things which will decide that:

1) She either remains Arya Stark or she fully becomes No One

2) She either finds her pack or remains a lone wolf

Combinations of those 4 options will decide her fate.

Arya Stark with a pack will survive. Arya Stark without a pack will die.

No One with a pack might find her former self and survive. No One without a pack si pretty much dead Arya Stark regardless of her body dying.

And she will find her pack! Her story is the story of a survivor and survivors survive.

This bit of foreshadowing.

"You’ll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers."

and because I think her entire story is leading up to her and many others death,It's the only logical end for her.

She will survive. GRRM doesn't have the guts to kill her off.

No, he didn't even dare to do in her father. And pfft, he was too weak to even attempt a Stark double murder, right?

Aside from that, I think that if he thinks the story would improve with her death, he will kill her.

She will survive. GRRM doesn't have the guts to kill her off.

I personally hope his wife is making his life a living hell if he decides to have the balls^^ To me killing Arya would be a mile away from the killing he's already done. It really needs another level of having guts than he's shown so far. Not saying that he hasn't it in him when he REALLY thinks it's what the story needs but I'm pretty sure it would be worse even for him than anything he has done to his characters before so he may consider it twice...

Or maybe that's just me trying to have hope :D

Whenever GRRM kills a main character it serves a purpose. At the moment her death would be pointless and so would her whole story so until she becomes involved in one of the other main storylines I don't see her dying.

I think that the "Lone Wolf Dies" means that the Starks aren't really "Starks" without a pack or their dire wolves. Arya calls herself a mouse when she isn't taking charge of a pack-human- and she is separated from Nymeria. Sansa lost her wolf and is armored only in courtesies-like a Tully. It's been good armor, but I'm not sure she'll find her inner wolf. I would love to see Sansa's inner wolf begin hunting Petyr- not unleashed in a fury- although that may happen. Arya seems to have a bit more control over her moves and continues to have wolf dreams, to remind her she is a Stark/wolf. I thought that last statement about dying with a needle in her hands was meant to be funny and to irritate Arya and to symbolize that for Arya to be a true Lady who sews would be the death of Arya's spirit. So I don't see that as a strong hint. When Jon said to Arya, "Two roads that lead to the same castle," I thought that is a foreshadowing. Castle Black? There's a loaded name.

The fact that Tyrion is still alive and kicking is enough to convince me there are people he just won't kill off no matter what.

Tyrion will die. Not yet though because he's one of the most interesting and important characters in the series but I'd be willing to bet that he'll be dead before the end of ADoS. Same applies for Arya. She'll die, but not in TWoW.

I would loathe to see Arya die, but she does not exactly fit in any of the future storylines, other than marrying Gendry, which is very less probable. There was a little romantic inkling there but before she knew she got m'ladyzoned.

I believe she does not have to die. She may ultimately kill Arya Stark and become "No one". That is to say, severe all ties to her old self and just remain as a FM at the temple of Many Faced God.

Archived