I doubt i'd do any differently than Randyll Tarly regarding Sam

The Frosted King

Yea, not letting him go to the Citadel didn't make any sense to me, unless he was afraid Sam wouldn't make the grade.

Maybe he was afraid that Sam would be assigned somewhere close by, with his acquaintances, etc. If Sam's with the NW then he's no longer an embarrassment to the Tarly name. That's the only rational explanation that I could ever think of.

I think Randyll actually knows a heck of a lot more about the game than most people. He probably knows a lot about the citadel, given its proximity to Horn Hill, and he may have a lot of reason to distrust the maesters.

Also, my opinion on Randylls treatment of Sam is that it was horrible morally, but absolutely necessary politically.

Yea, not letting him go to the Citadel didn't make any sense to me, unless he was afraid Sam wouldn't make the grade.

One can later leave the maesters if they decided to as seen with Oberyn and Whoresbane.

Additionally, Randall seems more martially minded and the Night Watch's more martial then the Maesters.

I like Sam, genuine bloke. Would be a good guy to go out for a pint with.

"I'm so hungry *whimpers* "

"These chairs are uncomfortable"

"I don't like the taste of beer"

"the glass is too cold, it's hurting my fingers"

"Those men looking at me are scaring me"

"It's too dark in here"

Stimulating conversationalist I'm sure. The man does nothing but complain

As a lord with people looking to me for security and peace, a son like Sam is an anomaly and dangerous, at that.

I wouldn't enjoy it, but I'd do everything in my power to get him to be the man Horn Hill needs him to be.

I don't think that guy has grown fat and weak on his own.. just look at how he is getting thinner now that he joined the NW and stronger in his spirit.

Samwell Tarly chose food as a refuge and compensation, one can not even fully blame his mother for rising him with high sensitivity and understanding.. which is what any mother should have done. It is my opinion that Samwell did lack a proper paternal figure right from his childhood, his father scared him or used only force and fear to keep him behaving well, without establishing a proper relationship. This had been at the basis of a growing insecurity and incapability to face difficulties and finally made of him "a coward". His mother compensated such a harsh father by being overly protective and caring, and that is why Samwell instinctively complains a lot about almost everything. That was the only thing that he could do in his childhood to externalize his discomfort within his own family..

I believe it is 100% his father responsibility the child he has raised. So if I was Samwell Tarly father, he would have probably been a better man, maybe have conserved his inclination toward books and rocket science and magic, but he would have not feared me, fighting or my Valyrian steel.

Eh probably going against the grain but I kinda agree with the OP, I mean imagine if you're the people of horn hill going from Randyll Tarly to fuggin Sam. How would he inspire any loyalty in some of the best soldiers in the realm, quivering and blubbering at the sight of blood or an over aggressive goat? Lord Sam would have been a disaster.

Archived