House Frey: the Great Equalizer

Jon of the Dead

Does anyone else think the RW was a stroke of genius by GRRM in order to make the fandom agree on one thing for once?

It doesn't matter if you are a Stan stan or a Dany stan, if you like the Lannisters or the Starks, if you think Dorne is boring or the Ironborn suck, the entire fandom comes together on one thing: everyone hates the Freys.

And it's interesting how everyone hates them in-universe too, even their allies consider them the worst of the worst.

Do you think this is true, or are there any Frey fans out there?

Well i kinda get walder frey, the man didnt like getting played on, if i was him, i would still murder robb and his mother, like srsly i think robb was the dick in that situation and led himself to his own death, and as for catelyn , i hate her the most out of the all series.

Basically catelyn is the reason for :

Eddard's broken Leg

The war which just destroyed almost everything

Removing the most valuable captive from her son's hands.

bitching about everyone except herself.

Well, I don't like them, but I don't think I outright hate them. I don't find the RW particularly repulsive (I mean I don't think it's worse than any other political assassination plot), and there are many Freys I like (the obvious Rosby Freys, "Gatehouse" Ami, Fat Walda, Big Walder, Stevron, Elmar, I even kinda like old lord Walder).

Gregor Clegane is the true great equalizer, more than Ramsay or the Freys.

I love Freys. Political masterminds, defeated their enemies and with class. The whole thing about 'guest right' is superstitious bs. Robb Stark won all his battles with cunning and deceiving and nobody cares. This is war.

Long live House Frey.

Suddenly I don't feel so amoral for liking the Greyjoys and Tyrells :P

The whole thing about 'guest right' is superstitious bs.

This is something that doesn`t get mentioned often enough. I guess people hold onto it because they want the entire Frey house to kick the bucket and if there`s a supernatural bulleye over their forehead it`s easier to believe they will.

Nonsense.

As for the Freys. I don`t care about them either way. Initially I was pissed at them and loved the idea of Lady Stoneheart going cold vengeance but after subsequent rereads I`m almost on their side. No quite there but as a poster said above, Robb was a dick.

This is something that doesn`t get mentioned often enough. I guess people hold onto it because they want the entire Frey house to kick the bucket and if there`s a supernatural bulleye over their forehead it`s easier to believe they will.

Nonsense.

I'd argue that there's very much a "supernatural bullseye" hanging over them: UnCat. And I say that as someone who generally thinks "curses" like this are self-fulfilling.

As for the Freys: Joining the Lannisters publicly? Fine. Turning down Robb's offer of Edmure? Cool. Sitting the whole thing out and not aiding Robb at all? Sure. Going into a good-faith agreement only to murder hundreds of people who were protected by a social custom that has ensured stability for thousands of years? Fuck 'em. They deserve everything they're getting, from the hangings to the contempt they face from everyone else, even their Lannister masters. The decent ones like the Rosby Freys not withstanding.

Most of them are comedic deformed villians (the guy who gets Riverrun? Forgot his name), but I do like some of them; Black Walder for example.

Oh, and pretty much every character in the books hates the Freys too. I guess that is the reason why they are all so grumpy and mean squealers all the time.

People hate Frey because we don't have a Frey PoV. People hate who the characters hate because they're unable to think for themselves.

The barbarian thing about the Frey pie is an example. It's way worse than anything any Frey has ever done but people still love it just because...

It makes me sad. Freys are misunderstood and they're great.

I'd argue that there's very much a "supernatural bullseye" hanging over them: UnCat. And I say that as someone who generally thinks "curses" like this are self-fulfilling.

As for the Freys: Joining the Lannisters publicly? Fine. Turning down Robb's offer of Edmure? Cool. Sitting the whole thing out and not aiding Robb at all? Sure. Going into a good-faith agreement only to murder hundreds of people who were protected by a social custom that has ensured stability for thousands of years? Fuck 'em. They deserve everything they're getting, from the hangings to the contempt they face from everyone else, even their Lannister masters. The decent ones like the Rosby Freys not withstanding.

:agree: Guest right has its superstituous roots, but it also works as an accepted social custom that guarantees the guest's safety. The Freys broke this, so they rightfully are considered to be treacherous bastards

People hate Frey because we don't have a Frey PoV. People hate who the characters hate because they're unable to think for themselves.

The barbarian thing about the Frey pie is an example. It's way worse than anything any Frey has ever done but people still love it just because...

It makes me sad. Freys are misunderstood and they're great.

We get the epilogue of ASOS with this guy who has this constant headache and is a latent alcoholic. That WAS sad, I understood him :(

UnCat might be around due to supernatural forces but, as far as we know, she`s not driven by them. It`s extremely easy to understand her goals and motivations and they`re clearly rooted in a human and emotional desire. Not because the gods are pissed at them.

Although you could argue that Thoros was gifted his abilities for the sole reason of destroying the Freys.

Edit: Spelling.

Archived