Dany/Jon ship? Is this on theory based on real facts or made by delusional fangirls?

Maud

Not really with Daenerys though. To her arc, sweetness represents trouble/danger. And even if you look broadly, there are plenty of examples of sweetness being dangerous generally. Tyrion calls Cersei his "sweet sister". There's a rather nasty fellow called "Raff the Sweetling". etc.

mmhmm. Varys is already described as sweet smelling when he's not in disguise.

I think it's funny when people use, "they're wrong for each other personality wise" against the idea that they'll end up together. If they need to marry for political reasons, to unite the North/South again, or just feel they need to continue the Targ line (this would be Dany, Jon would still view himself as a Stark), then it'll happen. GRRM will be able to do it in a way that is not cheesy or cliche. I could see this happening, for many reasons, but I don't know that it will. I'll save my end of story predictions for after WoW on this one because both of their arcs are main stories and will need to merge together at some point, if only for a while. Also, using personality factors, whether you think they are going to love each other, to say they won't get married is erroneous IMO only because they are/will be nobility, and nobility doesn't get to marry for love when the country's future is at stake. They will end up married to whomever can help them achieve their goals. Dany had no love for Drogo when she married him and can barely stand Hildzar (how ever you spell that) but that didn't stop her from marrying them. She did it to secure her future and further her goals, so I could see the relationship happening if it is what is necessary.

Most likely it won't be a love match if it happens, and they'll both keep paramours. DarkStar for Dany, Satin for Jon (these are my ships).

On the subject of strictly Dany and Jon, the time element has occurred to me.

Not ruling this theory out (although I am not personally convinced of D+J tbh) but realistically, is there time for Dany to meet with Jon, have a relationship with him, conceive, give birth and die before the end of the final book?

After all, there are supposedly two books left - WoW and ADoS. At the end of the last book, Jon was stabbed by Bowen Marsh and co. and may have been left for dead. If he is technically "dead" at the Wall, how long is it going to take to resurrect him? Mel instructed him to stay close to Ghost, so it is possible that even after the resurrection, he will spend time inside Ghost and go off and do whatever needs to be done such as possibly going beyond the Wall to try to discover more about the Others for instance - but all this could happen half way through the next book or even at the end of the next installment, leaving possibly little time for a relationship.

It has been said that so long as the men of the NW are true, the Others cannot pass - however given what has come to pass, as well as other ominous signs, it seems to me that they will soon be at the Wall, hence once Jon is resurrected (however long that takes), his time is likely to be occupied with defeating them (and I doubt that it will be a swift victory), and we know that the R+L=J revelation is to come.

Dany for her part, isn't even in Westeros yet and it begs the question when will she arrive? Perhaps it is very likely that she will arrive sometime during the next book however it is not inconceivable to think that it won't be until at least half way through the next book, the end or even until ADoS, and perhaps when she finally arrives, her time might be preoccupied with dealing with Aegon, and even possibly Stannis, the Boltons, the Greyjoys and Cersei - if she is to press her claim. I am of the opinion that she will head North to the Wall at some point but will this be after she has dealt with some of the challengers to her throne?

Like I said, I'm not going to rule it out, but any pairing from my opinion would be likely to take place in the final installment and with Jon fighting the Others, finding out about R+L=J for example, what time will there be for the two to engage headlong into a relationship if one or both of them will be dead by the end of ADoS? While not impossible I guess, the events haven't really transpired at breackneck speed up until now, and so is it really feasible that all this should happen within the final installment? Just my two cents.

On the subject of strictly Dany and Jon, the time element has occurred to me.

Not ruling this theory out (although I am not personally convinced of D+J tbh) but realistically, is there time for Dany to meet with Jon, have a relationship with him, conceive, give birth and die before the end of the final book?

It's a good point, but I imagine that while we're not going to see a compressed version of a five year leap, the POVs are going to cover more and more ground over the next two books. GRRM has said, I think (and this is dimly remembered from some interview or other, so grain of salt and all that), that the next books are going to cover different time periods over the next two books, with some covering "months." So I think time-wise we're going to start seeing some fairly impressive leaps forward over POVs. Arya already seems to be significantly ahead of the other POVs, so I'm guessing there's going to be some catchup to get them all aligned again.

I agree that if GRRM goes at the same fairly pokey pace he's been using for the past books, then expecting 1) Jon to get resurrected, 2) Jon and Dany to be in the same room, 3) Jon and Dany to fall in love and/or marry, 4) Dany to conceive a child and bear it to term and 5) Dany to die before the end of ADOS seems like a pipe dream. If GRRM starts skimming through large chunks of time in his POVs, however, it will become a lot more manageable.

It's a good point, but I imagine that while we're not going to see a compressed version of a five year leap, the POVs are going to cover more and more ground over the next two books. GRRM has said, I think (and this is dimly remembered from some interview or other, so grain of salt and all that), that the next books are going to cover different time periods over the next two books, with some covering "months." So I think time-wise we're going to start seeing some fairly impressive leaps forward over POVs. Arya already seems to be significantly ahead of the other POVs, so I'm guessing there's going to be some catchup to get them all aligned again.

I agree that if GRRM goes at the same fairly pokey pace he's been using for the past books, then expecting 1) Jon to get resurrected, 2) Jon and Dany to be in the same room, 3) Jon and Dany to fall in love and/or marry, 4) Dany to conceive a child and bear it to term and 5) Dany to die before the end of ADOS seems like a pipe dream. If GRRM starts skimming through large chunks of time in his POVs, however, it will become a lot more manageable.

the story may end with their marriage and we could hear about the child/children in the epilogue

the story may end with their marriage and we could hear about the child/children in the epilogue

Could be. It's been speculated that Bran--or however he's referred to by that point, he probably won't go by Bran anymore--will get the last POV, just as he got the first (non-prologue) POV. Exceptionally long-lifed, psychic and near-omniscient Tree!Bran seems pretty well suited to a flashforward "Where are they now?"-type POV, although I suppose the epilogue might jump forward 100 years and not just 5 or 10.

It's a good point, but I imagine that while we're not going to see a compressed version of a five year leap, the POVs are going to cover more and more ground over the next two books. GRRM has said, I think (and this is dimly remembered from some interview or other, so grain of salt and all that), that the next books are going to cover different time periods over the next two books, with some covering "months."

That's interesting - do you have a link? Tbh, he is going to have to speed things up a little if only just to get the whole story concluded by the end of ADoS.

It seems from my perspective that he will have to whizz to get to a D+J scenario but I recall that he has fleetingly mentioned a possible 8th book. If this scenario was to materialise (apologies, I don't have the link for it), then I concede there would be more than enough time for a potential romance between Dany and Jon, but from an admittedly completely selfish perspective, I hope it doesn't come to another three books!

That sounds very Harry Potter-y.

Very true, although J. K. Rowling was not the first--and nor will she be the last--to pull that trick. And LOTR had a bit of a time jump between the climax and Frodo's departure from Middle-Earth, as well.

...and honestly, at least it's not a bunch of dead characters hugging and high-fiving in a church before moving on to the great beyond.

...or Jon Snow getting probably capped at Holsten's to the strains of Don't Stop Believing.

In all seriousness, though, I think GRRM did mention at one point wanting to do future books set post-ASOIAF, and the epilogue of ASOIAF would be a great place to hook readers with a preview of what that post-ASOIAF world might look like.

Could be. It's been speculated that Bran--or however he's referred to by that point, he probably won't go by Bran anymore--will get the last POV, just as he got the first (non-prologue) POV. Exceptionally long-lifed, psychic and near-omniscient Tree!Bran seems pretty well suited to a flashforward "Where are they now?"-type POV, although I suppose the epilogue might jump forward 100 years and not just 5 or 10.

good point. Maybe there will be a scene reminiscent of the Bran/Old Nan scenes where she tells stories. The new Old Nan will be telling the new Stark kids about the Dance 2.0 and what happened to the families involved.

Very true, although J. K. Rowling was not the first--and nor will she be the last--to pull that trick. And LOTR had a bit of a time jump between the climax and Frodo's departure from Middle-Earth, as well.

...and honestly, at least it's not a bunch of dead characters hugging and high-fiving in a church before moving on to the great beyond.

...or Jon Snow getting probably capped at Holsten's to the strains of Don't Stop Believing.

In all seriousness, though, I think GRRM did mention at one point wanting to do future books set post-ASOIAF, and the epilogue of ASOIAF would be a great place to hook readers with a preview of what that post-ASOIAF world might look like.

basically this. I don't think the epilogue will be an all around happy thing, but I do hope it's some time down the road so we get an idea of the reconstruction that will need to take place. It doesn't need to focus on just Dany/Jon, it would be best to get some closure on all our characters.

Or, open to a post ASOIAF world just as D&E is pre ASOIAF.

The 3 mounts bit.

One to bed - her silver to drogo.

One to dread - Drogon. Likely to whatever happens in TWOW.

One to love? If Jon and Dany are going to be a thing, this will almost undoubtedly refer to Ghost. Plenty large enough to bare Danys weight.

Just something to add to the discussion.

Omg... I don't care how cliche/cheesy/nauseating/cringing this is. I want it to happen now.

Okay, this is really a sidestep of irrelevance BUT I'd never heard of "ship" before. I gathered it was slang for hooking up but it still took me about five posts to figure out "ship" is short for "relationship." I was thinking, "Does it mean you want them to be stranded on a ship so they only have each other... ?" :P

Before that the images in my head were much funnier.

"Why would someone 'ship' Jon? Does he ship worldwide? Is the postage free?!"

Archived