who do you like that you should hate?

Dany Girl

I'm talking about the morally repugnant people that for whatever reason you just can't hate the.

For me it's Cersei. She's horrible, she's evil, but damn she cracks me up sometimes. I find her justifications for her wrong doings interesting. Her hypocrisy is laughable. There are even things that make me feel for her; she lost her mother young and has been searching for acceptance from her father ever sense, her brother is the only person that ever truly loved her, she watches her eldest son, her pride and joy, die an extremely painful death.

All in all, I do not approve of her actions, but I find her fascinating as a character and can't wait to see what she does next.

If memory serves, Cersei wanted him to cut off Arya's arm for having hit Joffrey. You don't hear about it until one of his POV chapters when he is fessing up to Ilyn.

My entry to the "I am disgusted with myself for rooting for..." club: Theon Greyjoy. I should find his constant smirking in AGoT annoying. The POVs in ACoK should make me hate his guts. The way he deals with those he deems beneath him (women, smallfolk, his own sister, etc.) is deplorable. He doesn't think things through and goes de Guatemala a Guatepeor (translated: from the pan to the fire). He appears incapable of loving anybody but himself and only uses women for his own selfish pleasures. The whole Turncloak aspect is not endearing.

And yet I am rooting for the fool to make it through TWOW.

I'm talking about the morally repugnant people that for whatever reason you just can't hate the.

For me it's Cersei. She's horrible, she's evil, but damn she cracks me up sometimes. I find her justifications for her wrong doings interesting. Her hypocrisy is laughable. There are even things that make me feel for her; she lost her mother young and has been searching for acceptance from her father ever sense, her brother is the only person that ever truly loved her, she watches her eldest son, her pride and joy, die an extremely painful death.

All in all, I do not approve of her actions, but I find her fascinating as a character and can't wait to see what she does next.

Me too I love her when she is being a scheming bit*h.

If memory serves, Cersei wanted him to cut off Arya's arm for having hit Joffrey. You don't hear about it until one of his POV chapters when he is fessing up to Ilyn.

My entry to the "I am disgusted with myself for rooting for..." club: Theon Greyjoy. I should find his constant smirking in AGoT annoying. The POVs in ACoK should make me hate his guts. The way he deals with those he deems beneath him (women, smallfolk, his own sister, etc.) is deplorable. He doesn't think things through and goes de Guatemala a Guatepeor (translated: from the pan to the fire). He appears incapable of loving anybody but himself and only uses women for his own selfish pleasures. The whole Turncloak aspect is not endearing.

And yet I am rooting for the fool to make it through TWOW.

then that'd be cersei not jaime :P Jaime is still awesome :(

Well i like Roose. Hes just such a suave villain in that kind of setting. Like a Bond villain meets Hannibal Lecter. Its hard for me to outright hate the guy, even though everything he does is so repugnant. Im not really rooting for Roose though.

I dont LIKE Ramsay, mind, but i cant use him as a hate-sink. Hes too unabashed in his villainy. I have a hard time just outright hating villains who are like walking evil. Its like hating Godzilla or Cthulhu.

I probably shouldnt have any sympathetic feelings for Viserys but for some reason, i do. I really do. His story makes me sad and its full of tears.

then that'd be cersei not jaime :P Jaime is still awesome :(

except for that whole pushing an innocent child to his death to save his own ass thing. Or the breaking every oath e

he's ever taken thing. Or the fucking his sister ON TOP of his dead son's body thing. Or the threatening to send Edmure's unborn child over the walls of Riverrun thing. Or the threatening to put both Edmure and Roselin in obelisks in the dungeons of CR thing. Oh hell, I'm tired of listing his terrible traits, this thread is about liking someone in spite of their terrible actions, so love on.

I hate that I love Tyrion, but I do...gods help me, I do!

I know this isn't what the thread is asking, but I'm disgusted with myself for hating Benjen. It's a hard job, but someone has to do it. Right now, I'm hoping he's drowning in a pile of Puddles poop.

That is very interesting. :) What did Benjen ever do to you? :huh:

That is very interesting. :) What did Benjen ever do to you? :huh:

The question should be, what hasn't Benjen done? He's an abusive, murdering, deserting, a-hole who played a large part in starting Robert's Rebellion. We first see him making Jon cry. This abuse continues when they reach the wall and he won't allow Jon to go ranging with him. He was cold, distant, and not a completely nurturing father figure which clearly indicates abuse. It would have been hard for Jon to understand why these other brothers got more attention from this surrogate father figure.

Later, we learn that he was an abusive father figure to even Bran when it's told of how he denied Bran an education about parts of the Wall, specifically the Nightfort. Let's not forget that Benjen's abusive behavior extends to those who aren't his family. He made Tyrion uncomfortable and he was mean and abusive towards him. Tyrion felt a bit helpless in this situation and it very well could have eventually turned into a hostage/napping scenario is Jon hadn't been there to intercede.

Then Othor and Jafer Flowers ended up dead while Benjen was nowhere to be seen. This clearly implies that Benjen stood by while a cold shadow slayed them. If he was innocent, why flee and stay hidden? What's worse, he left the bodies to be turned into prime wight meat. He's basically deserted his post now.

Benjen's involvement with Robert's Rebellion should be obvious so I won't even bother getting into that here. I think his abusive nature, especially towards bastards, (future) cripples and broken things (like dwarves) is definitely the worst aspect about him and makes me hate him. Still, I'm disgusted with myself for hating him because there are other characters who've committed the same crimes that I really love and adore.

the greatest thing ever written

you are an absolute virtuoso at character analysis. Needless to say I agree with your assessment. I'll just add that the cold-hearted Benjen was not around to celebrate Jon's name day, which is a form of neglect.

Archived