What Line Made You Decide You Love a Character

Arthur Dayne's Honor

“A start?” said Ellaria Sand, incredulous. “Gods forbid. I would it were a finish. Tywin Lannister is dead. So are Robert Baratheon, Amory Lorch, and now Gregor Clegane, all those who had a hand in murdering Elia and her children. Even Joffrey, who was not yet born when Elia died. I saw the boy perish with mine own eyes, clawing at his throat as he tried to draw a breath. Who else is to kill? Do Myrcella and Tommen need to die so the shades of Rhaenys and Aegon can be at rest? Where does it end?”

[...]

"Oberyn wanted vengeance for Elia. Now the three of you want vengeance for him. I have four daughters, I remind you. Your sisters. My Elia is fourteen, almost a woman. Obella is twelve, on the brink of maidenhood. They worship you, as Dorea and Loreza worship them. If you should die, must El and Obella seek vengeance for you, then Dorea and Loree for them? Is that how it goes, round and round forever? I ask again, where does it end?” Ellaria Sand laid her hand on the Mountain’s head. “I saw your father die. Here is his killer. Can I take a skull to bed with me, to give me comfort in the night? Will it make me laugh, write me songs, care for me when I am old and sick?”

That's Ellaria's whole speech. She's the only one with a brain. No wonder Oberyn loved her, despite wanting revenge himself. And the part that won me over isn't the speech itself, it's the bold part:

"Even Joffrey, who was not yet born when Elia died. I saw the boy perish with mine own eyes, clawing at his throat as he tried to draw a breath".

Everybody was happy he died, but to me, sounds like Ellaria actually felt some pity for him and the way he died, and it was the only one who was actually horrified by it because he saw him for what he actually was: a boy. A terrible boy, but a boy, nevertheless.

“A start?” said Ellaria Sand, incredulous. “Gods forbid. I would it were a finish. Tywin Lannister is dead. So are Robert Baratheon, Amory Lorch, and now Gregor Clegane, all those who had a hand in murdering Elia and her children. Even Joffrey, who was not yet born when Elia died. I saw the boy perish with mine own eyes, clawing at his throat as he tried to draw a breath. Who else is to kill? Do Myrcella and Tommen need to die so the shades of Rhaenys and Aegon can be at rest? Where does it end?”

[...]

"Oberyn wanted vengeance for Elia. Now the three of you want vengeance for him. I have four daughters, I remind you. Your sisters. My Elia is fourteen, almost a woman. Obella is twelve, on the brink of maidenhood. They worship you, as Dorea and Loreza worship them. If you should die, must El and Obella seek vengeance for you, then Dorea and Loree for them? Is that how it goes, round and round forever? I ask again, where does it end?” Ellaria Sand laid her hand on the Mountain’s head. “I saw your father die. Here is his killer. Can I take a skull to bed with me, to give me comfort in the night? Will it make me laugh, write me songs, care for me when I am old and sick?”

That's Ellaria's whole speech. She's the only one with a brain. No wonder Oberyn loved her, despite wanting revenge himself. And the part that won me over isn't the speech itself, it's the bold part:

"Even Joffrey, who was not yet born when Elia died. I saw the boy perish with mine own eyes, clawing at his throat as he tried to draw a breath".

Everybody was happy he died, but to me, sounds like Ellaria actually felt some pity for him and the way he died, and it was the only one who was actually horrified by it because he saw him for what he actually was: a boy. A terrible boy, but a boy, nevertheless.

Goosebumps....

:bowdown:

I love Doran's comment :

She knew him better than any of you

or something along those lines

ok now i'm going through oberyn depression again...

[...]

Agreed.

She and Doran are the only two who think normally. That's why I love Dorne

Jon: Lord Stark. There are five pups. Three male, two female.

Ned: What of it, Jon?

Jon: You have five trueborn children. Three sons, two daughters. The direwolf is the sigil of your House. Your children were meant to have these pups, my lord.

Ned: You want no pup for yourself, Jon?

Jon: The direwolf graces the banners of House Stark. I am no Stark, Father.

And he had me after that. First goddamn chapter in the series and I was already in love with Jon Snow.

Yes!

Also, nice to see so many Euron fans here, "...they pray" quote is one of the best in the books.

Varys: "power resides where men believe it resides..."

This right here. I never voice my love for Varys but this thread seems like a safe enough place. This quote right here.

For Arya, it pretty much happened in one page.

Between this line:

Sansa sighed as she stitched. "Poor Jon," she said. "He gets jealous because he's a bastard."

"He's our brother," Arya said, much too loudly. Her voice cut through the afternoon quiet of the tower room.

And this line:

"Just where do you think you are going, Arya?" the septa demanded.

Arya glared at her. "I have to go shoe a horse," she said sweetly, taking a brief satisfaction in the shock on the septa's face. Then she whirled and made her exit, running down the steps as fast as her feet would take her.

Yup! I was a goner. Arya love til the (hopefully not TOO bitter) end.

Love for Samwell was actually pushed on me by Jon Snow:

Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it, the dwarf had told him, grinning. The world was full of cravens who pretended to be heroes; it took a queer sort of courage to admit to cowardice as Samwell Tarly had.

and then cemented with this gem of a self-deprecating quip:

"Talk," Jon said. "Have you seen the Wall?"

"I'm fat, not blind," Samwell Tarly said. "Of course I saw it, it's seven hundred feet high."

I'd comment on my love for Theon, but honestly, there was no one line that sealed the deal for me. Strangely enough, I hated him at first. It took a couple re-reads, but now he's easily my favorite (aside from Arya.)

For the first time all day, Selmy felt certain. This is what i was made for, he thought. The dance, the sweet steel song, a sword in my hand and a foe before me.

"Only cowards dress in iron"

"This coward is about to kill you, ser"

-Barristan

The Barristan chapters to close out Dance are absolutely brilliant.

A start? said Ellaria Sand, incredulous. Gods forbid. I would it were a finish. Tywin Lannister is dead. So are Robert Baratheon, Amory Lorch, and now Gregor Clegane, all those who had a hand in murdering Elia and her children. Even Joffrey, who was not yet born when Elia died. I saw the boy perish with mine own eyes, clawing at his throat as he tried to draw a breath. Who else is to kill? Do Myrcella and Tommen need to die so the shades of Rhaenys and Aegon can be at rest? Where does it end?

[...]

"Oberyn wanted vengeance for Elia. Now the three of you want vengeance for him. I have four daughters, I remind you. Your sisters. My Elia is fourteen, almost a woman. Obella is twelve, on the brink of maidenhood. They worship you, as Dorea and Loreza worship them. If you should die, must El and Obella seek vengeance for you, then Dorea and Loree for them? Is that how it goes, round and round forever? I ask again, where does it end? Ellaria Sand laid her hand on the Mountains head. I saw your father die. Here is his killer. Can I take a skull to bed with me, to give me comfort in the night? Will it make me laugh, write me songs, care for me when I am old and sick?

Also this

Archived