Worst name in the series?

That Demon Monkey

Thanks Grey Wolf :cheers:

Also I thought that Aenys Frey was named intentionally because we were supposed to hate him. \

I'm thinking by TWOW GRRM's just gonna basically give up on subtlety and introduce us to "Dickhead Frey" "Fuckface Frey" some 2nd cousins once removed or something.

That's the nickname everyone around Aeron gives him and it makes sense why they would call him that. Not sure why that would be something dislikable.

It's the name he took for himself once he committed to serving the Drowned God. So I don't think he took it as "joke" nickname. It was the name he thought the God wanted him to have so to speak.

But he is just a character, it comes back to the author picking a silly name for him.

Can't believe someone dislikes Barristan! That is a bad-ass name. Good thing is there are definitely enough names in the books for everyone to have favourites and ones they dislike.

My biggest name pet peeve is that Victarion's "dusky woman" is never given a proper name, or even a nickname. She's the only woman on the ship, so the skin color description is entirely unnecessary after the first time. Yet GRRM writes "dusky woman" each and every time she's mentioned. Other characters never refer to her this way, so the repetition of the description just seems like poor editing. I can't think of a single other nameless character who is referred to in this way.

Victarion isn't exactly the most imaginative fellow so maybe that's why.

But it isn't Victarion's description. She isn't called the dusky woman as part of his first person narration. Victarion never calls her anything. Which is fine by me. I just was baffled as to why GRRM kept using the description "dusky" over and over again when she's the only woman in any of those chapters. It's completely unnecessary.

Hard G or soft G? I hate it with soft, but its cool with hard. I named my guinea pig that

I always heard it in my head as a soft g when reading it. I know the show gave us the correct pronunciation (hard g,) but I'm too proud of my ignorant-of-pronunciation-because-I-read-the-books status to change.

Archived