Passages you personally feel most take the wrong way

JaegrM

I don't have the books at hand so mine wont be exact-

When Jaime is talking to Payne about what he would have done to Arya after he understood what Cersei really wanted with the whole screaming "I Want!"

"It was only luck that Stark's own men found the girl before me, if I had come upon her first..."

Even though I said I don't have the books available I distinctly remember the "..." at the end of his sentence.

I always took this line from Jaime as he worries he would have killed or maimed Arya, NOT that he for sure would have.

As in he would have found no joy in it, BUT, for Cersei he fears he would have done it, and the thought that he was capable of such maliciousness for no reason other than his devotion to Cersei and desire to please her would have led him to do it.

Contrary to what most posters seem to think-

I don't believe he is admitting that he was going to do it.

What are some lines or passages that you PERSONALLY feel most users have misinterpreted?

Dany's last chapter of ADWD is a huge one for me.

I think everyone can agree that it's a definite turning point for her in terms of her mentality and her priorities. But I see a lot of people fist-pumping it as something positive. I see it as the opposite — she has tried and failed to be the tree-planter, and now she's going to try her hand at being the dragon, and dragons plant no trees. This just strikes me as her setting down the path of destruction and conquest, which is one thing, but I can't fathom how anyone can read it and come away thinking that, if her mentality doesn't continue to change, she'll end up being a hero or an effective or good queen.

I think everyone can agree that it's a definite turning point for her in terms of her mentality and her priorities. But I see a lot of people fist-pumping it as something positive. I see it as the opposite — she has tried and failed to be the tree-planter, and now she's going to try her hand at being the dragon, and dragons plant no trees. This just strikes me as her setting down the path of destruction and conquest, which is one thing, but I can't fathom how anyone can read it and come away thinking that, if her mentality doesn't continue to change, she'll end up being a hero or an effective or good queen.

I agree with you on this one, although I thought we were in the majority.

I honestly can't see how it can be misconstrued as anything else than what it clearly is.

I think the fist pumping for this one is limited to Dany stans...

"There are no men like me,only me"

is mistaken by most of the newer readers as hubris.

I think most people tend to get confused is when Robert first arrives at Winterfell and Robert asks where all his smallfolk are and Ned replies that they have not seen in a King in a long time and they are nervous and then Robert replies "More like they are hiding in the snow".

A lot of people seem to think that Robert is talking about Kings hiding in the snow and use this to further R+L=J, which at this point doesn't need any additional help.

I think the fist pumping for this one is limited to Dany stans...

"There are no men like me,only me"

is mistaken by most of the newer readers as hubris.

Well honestly, I still believe it partially is.

Edit* I meant the Jaime quote is at least partially hubris

This is a bit of a stretch for this thread since it's not misinterpreting in context, but I can't help but feel that when people quote "The North remembers" that it actually refers to the North North, as in the White Walkers who for 8000 years remember something that we don't yet know, and that memory is leading them to do whatever it is that they do.

The whole baratheon metal stuff of donal noye. "He will break before he bends".

Stannis has showed he can change to fit the circunstances. Isnt he fighting with a north army, not burning people and even thinking to make a sacrifice to a tree? Wasn he open to name renly his heir inspite shireen? Didnt he pardon the SL lords who chose Renly before him? He knows how to bend if needed.

You've never seen a Dany fan try to explain it.

Haaah

No, I've seen clumsy attempts at some explanations (which are often inconsistent from what I've seen)....

I just guess I expect more reading comprehension from the fans of these novels, and can't understand how fans are able to misunderstand the (imo) clear context of her thoughts.

I mean at least with my example, I can definitely see where the majority get the opinion that Jaime is basically admitting definite intent to harm Arya.

But, when being so open with all his other admissions to PAyne, I don't feel he'd trail off like that.

I feel that the "..." definitely signifies that he's uncertain about what would have happened and fears the worst of what he would have done.

But, Dany's passage....

It's pretty clear cut. No trailing off or anything.

Pretty black and white statement.

The whole passage where Littlefinger kisses Sansa. People judge it with modern morality as if it applies in mediaeval times. It's kind of creepy but it isn't "sexual assault" and "pedophilia" as I've seen it called.

Well, this isn't medieval times. It's fiction, written by a modern author who consistently writes his characters commenting on the nasty of sexual assault and pedophilia. How exactly would you define it? Be sure to consider how Sansa felt about the whole thing.

The whole passage where Littlefinger kisses Sansa. People judge it with modern morality as if it applies in mediaeval times. It's kind of creepy but it isn't "sexual assault" and "pedophilia" as I've seen it called.

mehh...

Not pedophelia, I'll agree (at least in Westeros)

But using the whole "A dutiful daughter would" lines makes it a form of sexual exploitation in my opinion, because he just wants kisses and he's using those lines to manipulate Sansa into doing what he wants....

Thanks a pantload, Chett. I just vomited in my mouth a little. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

I think the "Dragons plant no trees" has dual meaning. We do not yet know what Dany means by this yet, in terms of her own actions and mentality. She could go one way or the other. But this line holds a clue about how she may go. (No holds barred beatdown dragon ragefest!)

I think the "Dragons plant no trees" has dual meaning. We do not yet know what Dany means by this yet, in terms of her own actions and mentality. She could go one way or the other. But this line holds a clue about how she may go. (No holds barred beatdown dragon ragefest!)

Not trying to start anything, but what's the second possible meaning in your opinion? I'm genuinely curious

Well, this isn't medieval times. It's fiction, written by a modern author who consistently writes his characters commenting on the nasty of sexual assault and pedophilia. How exactly would you define it? Be sure to consider how Sansa felt about the whole thing.

I think it's kind of creepy and off putting, something that knocked Littlefinger down a peg. I don't like that he did it but I don't think it's wrong in the world they live in and I try to judge characters based on their culture, not by my modern morality.

I think it's kind of creepy and off putting, something that knocked Littlefinger down a peg. I don't like that he did it but I don't think it's wrong in the world they live in and I try to judge characters based on their culture, not by my modern morality.

GRRM, a modern author, has created their culture and has determined that in their culture it is frowned upon for a married man to make a sexual advance towards a married woman-child, especially in the home of the man's wife. It's also frowned upon to make a sexual advance towards someone who doesn't want it. It's also frowned upon to make sexual advances towards one so young, regardless if they had begun menstruating or showing other signs of sexual maturity.

This book was written in modern times, not medieval times. As realistic as the author describes the scenery, you aren't actually reading a medieval novel.

Archived