whats GRRM reading today?

Abyssalix

So, let me get this straight: is the show on hiatus until he finishes WoW, or is Dunk and Egg?

Cause Dunk and Egg is pretty obvious to be on hiatus already, right? And people are saying he's worried he's going to fall behind, but couldn't that only happen with the show, since he writes Dunk and Egg himself? (Or are the tales still going to be in anthologies)?

So, let me get this straight: is the show on hiatus until he finishes WoW, or is Dunk and Egg?

Cause Dunk and Egg is pretty obvious to be on hiatus already, right? And people are saying he's worried he's going to fall behind, but couldn't that only happen with the show, since he writes Dunk and Egg himself? (Or are the tales still going to be in anthologies)?

I think DandG are on hold for now but I dont think its an "official" hold, rather TWOW is more of a priority

Agreed. It actually says to me that he's pretty committed to getting it done and avoiding distractions. Shows some level of discipline.

That'd be great news indeed.

I wish I felt it like you. Personally I find the thought that he's started working on it (or better to say, thinking of what the story will cover) in 2006 and it still won't be out by the end of 2014 incredibly depressing. How many D&E stories is his goal anyway? Six? Seven? Eight? If it's more than six we will likely never find out what happened at Summerhall. Damn it.

I wish I felt it like you. Personally I find the thought that he's started working on it (or better to say, thinking of what the story will cover) in 2006 and it still won't be out by the end of 2014 incredibly depressing. How many D&E stories is his goal anyway? Six? Seven? Eight? If it's more than six we will likely never find out what happened at Summerhall. Damn it.

Yeah but he'll probably pump them out once a year by the time ASOIAF is complete.

I was there! It was a second Tyrion chapter. It sounded like it was Tyrion's next chapter after the one he read before. It's still Battle of Meereen. I've submitted a report and it will be posted soon. The big reveal is a power player you may not have expected. Or maybe you did.

ETA: It was NOT the chapter he read before. That chapter was Tyrion trying to convince Brown Ben to change sides. This chapter, Brown Ben was gone to consult with someone. Tyrion was watching the battle, and the Ironborn had started landing people to fight. It is a brand new chapter.

Anyway, other news from the Q and A:

He was going to read a section of the original Dance of the Dragons piece as well, but there was no time. It would have been about the Sons of the Dragon.

His additions to the soon-to-be-released compendium have been severely trimmed, since they threatened to throw the book out of balance.

Don’t believe any suggestion of a release date until it’s on his website. He is still working on WoW.

The books are the books and the show is the show. People dead in the show will die (or not) on his terms in the books. Although he may draw a kinder portrait of Osha in the future.

He talked about part of his inspiration for ASOIAF being Tolkien. He loved the books, of course, but was amused by lines like how Aragorn ruled for so long and wisely. What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he make peace with the remaining orcs or did he conduct a policy of genocide? Those kinds of questions are what inspired this series.

I was there! It was a second Tyrion chapter. It sounded like it was Tyrion's next chapter after the one he read before. It's still Battle of Meereen. I've submitted a report and it will be posted soon. The big reveal is a power player you may not have expected. Or maybe you did.

ETA: It was NOT the chapter he read before. That chapter was Tyrion trying to convince Brown Ben to change sides. This chapter, Brown Ben was gone to consult with someone. Tyrion was watching the battle, and the Ironborn had started landing people to fight. It is a brand new chapter.

Well this is joyous news, Eagerly awaiting your report :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived