[TWoW Spoilers] Worldcon reading: second Tyrion chapter

Joseph Nobles

Tyrion.

A horse! Tyrion hears this in the battle.

Sunrise over the battle. Ships colliding, dragons flying.

Wicked sister flinging men, a dragon on a pyramid.

Why do gods keep putting him in battle? He remembers Shae.

Tyron remembers his first battle, Green Fork, better than Blackwater, with memories of Shae mingling in.

Second sons saddling up. They remind him of Bron.

Pale mare riding, not ready to meet him. Still wants to live.

Penny in real armor. He's not yet. Bay and under wall fighting. Second sons might want new masters.

Penny: "You would sell your sister for a cup of horse piss." Tyrion: "Have you met my sister?"

He's got strategy still. Tywin never got close to the battle.

Penny kisses him. At a loss. She's too trusting.

That's slaughter, Penny. The stranger coming. You should be scared. We are fighting on wrong side.

I never meant to make you angry. She's frightened. Saying this, Penny reminds him of Shae and he's in a rage.

Dragons. White. Eating soldiers on fire. Panic across the camp. Paymaster there.

Man in golden armor from "supreme commander." Orders Second Sons: Come to bay.

Tyron knows the ironborn savagery. Gorzak?

I gave you command! Wait for Brown Ben.

We're horsemen. Can't run on water. They're landing men! Who's Gorzak?

You refuse to carry out his orders. Leaves.

We're on the losing side. Mormant agrees.

Inkpots throws up his hands.

White dragon withdraws, green still flies.

BB returns. We must defend a wicked sister on authority of the girl.

Melassa (ph) has nicer tits, says Tyrion.

Yunkish Nobleman arrives with depraved scene on armor. Tyron approves.

Morghar swears vengeance on prince of tatters. Tyrion mocks him.

BB defends tyrion. Mormant kills the nobleman.

Queens men all along! Tyrion is cynically unimpressed.

The above are my notes while the reading was happening. Here's a better summary:

Tyrion

Tyrion is with the Second Sons and Jorah, readying for battle. Brown Ben has gone to see the girl general. However, the Second Sons are still on the side of the Yunkai. There are great laments that they are fighting for the wrong side. There is fighting in Slavers’ Bay and under the Wall. The fight will be upon their position soon.

Tyrion watches the sun rise over the battlefield. One of the dragons (he can’t tell which) eats soldiers being flung into the air by one of six things called the Wicked Sisters (apparently some kind of embattlement). “Why do the gods keep putting him into battle?” thinks Tyrion, since he’s not made for it. His thoughts turn first to Shae, then to his first battle at the Green Fork. He remembers the Green Fork better than Blackwater. And the Second Sons saddling up remind him of Bron.

He is not yet in armor, so he returns to his tent. Penny is there, dressed in real armor for her defense. As she helps Tyrion suit up, they talk. When he mentions Cersei, Penny says, “You would sell your sister for a cup of horse piss.” Tyrion has to laugh: “Is my taste for horse piss so famous or have you met my sister?” He then explains his thoughts on strategy for the upcoming battle – a great plan to be heard and followed by no one. And as he remembers his father remaining above the fighting at the Green Fork, Penny kisses him.

Tyrion is enraged. He rants at her about the slaughter of the battlefield and the reality about to invade her innocent world. Penny apologizes, saying she’s frightened. But this echo of Shae makes matters worse. He leaves to see the battle. It is Viserion chowing down on flying soldiers. Rheagal is in sight, however. The camp is in a panic.

A man in golden armor rides up from the Supreme Commander Gorzak (ph). No one in the camp knows who Gorzak is. This man is his emissary and commands them to move to the bay and attack the savages from the squid ships. Tyrion, as a Lannister, is well aware of the Ironborn depredations and is not inclined to follow the command. The Second Sons agree: they are cavalry and can’t walk on water. They decide to wait for Brown Ben to return. The emissary, assuring them of the wrath of Gorzak, departs. Tyrion and Jorah agree – they are fighting for the wrong side.

Viserion withdraws from the skies. Rhaegal still flies, however.

Brown Ben returns. Melessa (ph) wants them to defend a Wicked Sister. Tyrion crudely points out that the girl has nicer breasts. And at that point, a Yunkai nobleman rides up. Tyrion approves of the depraved scene depicted on his armor, but his news is less welcome. The nobleman swears vengeance on the Prince of Tatters and Tyrion mocks him. Brown Ben defends Tyrion from the nobleman until Jorah runs the Yunkai nobleman through.

And Brown Ben proclaims that they have been Queen’s Men all along! Joining the Yunkai was merely a clever ploy. Tyrion isn’t fooled by this, but is happy with the development.

And other news:

He was going to read a section of the original Dance of the Dragons piece as well, but there was no time. It would have been about the Sons of the Dragon.

His additions to the soon-to-be-released compendium have been severely trimmed, since they threatened to throw the book out of balance.

Don’t believe any suggestion of a release date until it’s on his website. He is still working on WoW.

The books are the books and the show is the show. People dead in the show will die (or not) on his terms in the books. Although he may draw a kinder portrait of Osha in the future.

He talked about part of his inspiration for ASOIAF being Tolkien. He loved the books, of course, but was amused by lines like how Aragorn ruled for so long and wisely. What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he make peace with the remaining orcs or did he conduct a policy of genocide? Those kinds of questions are what inspired this series.

In response to a question, he said that he has an idea for a sequel to Fever Dream, and has had for years. He doesn’t know when he would be able to get to it, though, like most of his ideas.

ETA: I didn't quite catch the name of the girl general. I heard Melessa, I convinced myself later that it was Missandei, but I'd forgotten the character of the Girl General who bid on Tyrion and Penny. So the Second Sons are declaring for the Queen's army at the end.

Yes, I didn't quite catch the name during the reading, but when I went through the wiki, I realized the girl general had to be Missandei. When Dany heads back to Westeros, Meereen couldn't be in better hands.

I agree. Plus we knew she was up to something always reading scrolls and sneaking up on Barristan and knowing things....

Yes, I didn't quite catch the name during the reading, but when I went through the wiki, I realized the girl general had to be Missandei. When Dany heads back to Westeros, Meereen couldn't be in better hands.

But the Girl General is supposed to be a Yunkai :

http://awoiaf.wester...hp/Girl_General

I don't undestand.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the report !

And wow, dragons ! Does that mean Victarion succeeded in taming them ? Or are they just flying and eating/burning people randomly ?

I can't wait to know...

OK

But the Girl General is supposed to be a Yunkai :

http://awoiaf.wester...hp/Girl_General

I don't undestand.

Oh, dang. Ummmmm, that's right. Maybe I did hear right and Melessa is the name of the Girl General. Tyrion making a crack about her breasts makes a lot more sense there.

So the Yunkai nobleman is from her (the erotic scene on the armor). And when Jorah kills him, that means the Second Sons are declaring for the Queen - as in, Dany. I'll go and change that name in my summary now.

So it sounds like the tattered prince must have done something to piss off the Yunkai. Barristan's plan to free the hostages must have worked at least to the point where they made the attempt.

I really don't get the Missandei thing either. She's giving BBP orders to defend one of the trebuchets? Why this makes no sense to me. She's still on Dany / Barristan's side, right?

ETA: Nevermind your last post cleared it up. Makes more sense now. Thanks for the reports!

Archived