[TWoW Spoilers] Worldcon reading: second Tyrion chapter

Joseph Nobles

Well, Euron at least never imagined Victarion was going to meet some red priest along the way who can read the valyrian glyphs written upon the horn. Or did he?

Also regarding the horn, It could be that Tyrion is even aware of the existence of items such as Dragonbinder through his extensive reading about dragons, and after it is finally blown he could be the one (apart from Moqorro) who would know what to do, at least theoretically.

Euron could never have anticipated Black Flame, your right about that. Personally, I think at least one POV needs to die in Meerene. We're at the potentially penultimate book, winter has come, and its the biggest battle yet, not to mention the last major character death was in ASOS.

I seriously doubt Dany will return for the battle, for a number of reasons:

• In Tyrion and Barristan's chapters they speculate about her returning to crush the Yunkai'i, which seems like a deliberate red herring by GRRM. After all, Dany has been missing for weeks by this point; there's no reason to expect her to return just at the right time.
  • It would diminish Victarion's arrival.
  • What's the point of getting Dany out of Meereen if she comes back just in time to save it?
  • The Lands of Ice and Fire character journey map shows Dany is facing Vaes Dothrak (for point of comparison, Victarion is shown to be facing Meereen).

I hope you are wrong.

I'm really tired of this "ships passing in the night" thing GRRM has going on here.

Tyrion is in Meereen looking for Dany;

Victarion is in Meereen looking for Dany;

Jorah, and Barristan are in Meereen looking for Dany.

And GRRM's going to continue keeping them all apart?

If you're right that's going to stink.

Barristan is the one respected, trusted, purely disinterested voice of restraint and good sense Dany has. Take that away, pair it with her newfound conviction that "Dragons plant no trees" and her newfound resolve for Fiyah and Blood, throw in some manipulative, extremely persuasive self-seeking assholes who want to get into her good graces for their own ends, and her path forward gets a lot more dangerous...and more interesting. Also, Barristan dying will make it a lot easier for Tyrion to get an in with Dany, especially if Jorah is willing to vouch for him.

I doubt that GRRM has him made a POV just to get rid of him this soon. Not after he has made him Dany's Hand in ADwD.

Actually we should think about it differently. GRRM sent Barristan over to Dany at the end of Book 2, and likely planned it since Book 1. Since Barristan's presence with Dany has been part of his gameplan for so long, it is surely building up to something more interesting than "and then Barristan Selmy randomly died in battle at Meereen."

In fact the true future of Barristan's arc is foreshadowed quite well at the end of ASOS. GRRM spends a great deal of time introducing the concept that Barristan only wants to serve "the rightful king/queen" and spent time assessing Dany before revealing his identity, because he feared Targ madness and was wondering if she'd go mad.

With all this in mind it is obvious that Barristan will stick around for the second dance of the dragons. Aegon's appearance will make him wonder whether Dany truly is the rightful claimant, and their increasingly bloody conflict (filled with dragon destruction) will make him wonder whether he's on the right side. And he may at some point have cause to revisit his initial determination that there was "no taint" in Dany.

Actually we should think about it differently. GRRM sent Barristan over to Dany at the end of Book 2, and likely planned it since Book 1. Since Barristan's presence with Dany has been part of his gameplan for so long, it is surely building up to something more interesting than "and then Barristan Selmy randomly died in battle at Meereen."

In fact the true future of Barristan's arc is foreshadowed quite well at the end of ASOS. GRRM spends a great deal of time introducing the concept that Barristan only wants to serve "the rightful king/queen" and spent time assessing Dany before revealing his identity, because he feared Targ madness and was wondering if she'd go mad.

With all this in mind it is obvious that Barristan will stick around for the second dance of the dragons. Aegon's appearance will make him wonder whether Dany truly is the rightful claimant, and their increasingly bloody conflict (filled with dragon destruction) will make him wonder whether he's on the right side. And he may at some point have cause to revisit his initial determination that there was "no taint" in Dany.

Do you think Barristan will become a Queenslayer?

I knew this battle was going to be badass. I never realized it was gonna be dragons-roasting-and-catching-guys-being-flung-on-trebuchets badass.

At this point, Victarion has no reason to blow the horn. What would he command them to do? "Alright dragons, that was awesome! Now get back out there and keep doing what you were doing!" The battle looks fairly well in hand, and saving Meereen from the Pale Mare while scaring the shit out of the Slavers is pretty much the best thing the dragons could be doing.

The chapter sounds promising and it seems the battle will be great, but Dany is still playing the game on easy mode. Not only is Victarion coming to Meereen in the very nick of time to fight against the Yunkish, but now Viserion an Rhaegal, who were missing, also come back in the nick of time to fight the Yunkish. As if that wasn't enough, the Second Sons are also going to fight for Daenerys. With that luck, I'm willing to bet she will even manage to unite all the khalasars after returning to Vaes Dothrak with Khal Jhaqo.

Moquorro tells Victarion he must claim the horn with Blood,blood for fire!

Also who blows the horn matters not the dragons will come to the horns master,he says this after telling him he shouldn't blow the damn thing.

Now do we really think hes gonna blow it after seeing what happened to Eurons man and also being told this?

I've mentioned this before But this paragraph seems to get missed somehow.

Unless I've misread it of course?

The chapter sounds promising and it seems the battle will be great, but Dany is still playing the game on easy mode. Not only is Victarion coming to Meereen in the very nick of time to fight against the Yunkish, but now Viserion an Rhaegal, who were missing, also come back in the nick of time to fight the Yunkish. As if that wasn't enough, the Second Sons are also going to fight for Daenerys. With that luck, I'm willing to bet she will even manage to unite all the khalasars after returning to Vaes Dothrak with Khal Jhaqo.

Did you really believed that the slavers had the slightest chance to win the war?? Let's be honest here, we all knew who will win this battle, I've never read a serious thread when Dany's forces lose the battle, pretty much everything from this chapter could have been guess/predict from ADWD (and previous gift chapters) I think the real question is who will die (if any) and how will all this new comers will interact with eachother...

Don't get me wrong, the chapter seems really good and I'm excited about this battle, but so far there's nothing new to what we have been discussing since ADWD

Moquorro tells Victarion he must claim the horn with Blood,blood for fire!

Also who blows the horn matters not the dragons will come to the horns master,he says this after telling him he shouldn't blow the damn thing.

Now do we really think hes gonna blow it after seeing what happened to Eurons man and also being told this?

I've mentioned this before But this paragraph seems to get missed somehow.

Unless I've misread it of course?

In Victarion's chapter I think he tells someone else to sound the hour at the very end. Seriously, he isn't THAT stupid.

In one of Victarion's chapters, Moquorro use blood magic (Vic's blood) to claim the horn, and later Victarion command 3 slaves to blow the horn when he'll give the order.

Dany hasn't lost a single battle yet so unless she starts losing some she'd better go out a la Young Wolf. Undefeated and alive is a big no-no in my book. Also, Honeyed Chicken [sounds delicious], why would Tyrion's death strengthen the Sansa/Littlefinger storyline? As far as I see it would weaken the storyline by removing one of the key thorns in Baelish's plot, which is that Sansa is technically still married and only the Faith can annul that but revealing her would attract a certain lioness's attention.

Archived