September Reads

mashiara

Everyone says the books are really slow [like it takes 300 pages for the action to kick in] but those who love it say the slow pace is worth it once things heat up. Personally, I haven't read it [planning too though sometime] but considering Martin said it was what convinced him to write ASOIAF it should be pretty good. Just don't go in expecting a quick read.

Everyone says the books are really slow [like it takes 300 pages for the action to kick in] but those who love it say the slow pace is worth it once things heat up. Personally, I haven't read it [planning too though sometime] but considering Martin said it was what convinced him to write ASOIAF it should be pretty good. Just don't go in expecting a quick read.

I've seen that written here on the forum, as well as that after the build up of the first two books Williams seemed to go for a really happy ending...or something to that affect. Taking a little longer to finish a book than what I've been averaging doesn't concern me (unless it takes all month then that might be a problem), right now I'm getting through a book every 9 days and I've already read more books this year than I ever have in a calendar year. Also I'm not going to be reading the whole series one book after another, I'm going to be reading something in between each so I don't grow exhausted with the same characters.

After Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn will be Farseer Trilogy then Chalion Trilogy though somewhere in there will finally be A Dance with Dragons once if finally comes out in paperback...unless it's pushed back for a fourth time.

Is it hard to find? [i'm asking because you used the word finally.]

It was difficult down here. I could have got it from an online store but we were in a self-imposed temporary ban on online buys on account of being incapable of limiting such orders to 1 book. :blushing:

Quoting sucks on my phone, so Tears: I really should, but I hate not finishing a book, and sometimes I feel like I'm really enjoying it. I read a fair amount last night, it just doesn't grab me enough. It's just not impacting on me as much as Dagger. I'm probably biased, because I love that series so much :laugh: I may just finish the first book and then go on to something else. I wonder if you can drag it out until the next one comes out!

As for The Lovely Bones, I can see what you mean, but I remember enjoying the film, so I'm keen to give the book a go. And I lied in my other post - I've actually got the last 2 books in the Ben Aaronovitch series, so I can't start that until I get the first one. Damn.

Just ordered [against all logic] The Red Wolf Conspiracy, The Prince of Thorns, and Dune. Can't wait till they arrive! [Except now I have around 20 new books piled up for me to read. Oh well, at least they should last me until TWOW come out if by some miracle it comes out next year.]

I read that book earlier this year and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I'm now going through her Vorkosigan series and having a blast reading those.

I am certainly enjoying it. I've read four others (Myles series) by her and enjoyed them all, but I've yet to fall in love.

I finished The Dragons Path ( book 1 of the dagger and the coin ) by Daniel Abraham on the 1st and I absolutely despised it. I have no intentions of reading book 2. With that being said I'm apparently the odd man out because the majority love that series. From there I cracked open The Name of the Wind for the 3rd attempt and I finally got sucked in to this amazing series. I had a hard time connecting with the protag until about 200 pages ( hardback ) in but I just finished the 1st book and purchased the second. Highly recommended read!

Yes, you'll hate it. Riddled with liberal politics.

I am noticing a strong anti-war, anti-aristocratic, anti-organized religion slant; but I'm actually enjoying it so far. I read Saberhagen's Berserker books some years back, they were pretty good IMO.

Archived