September Reads

mashiara

I started Lies of Locke Lamora a few months ago, and for an unknown reason just couldn't get in to it. I put it down after 10-15 pages and was frustrated with myself as almost everyone I know who has read this book absolutely loved it.

I picked it up again after finishing Leigh Bardugo's two Grisha series novels, and quickly discovered what my struggle was. The typeset on the ebook format was too small for me to have a comfortable read. I changed it, and have loved every minute of this book since.

I started Lies of Locke Lamora a few months ago, and for an unknown reason just couldn't get in to it. I put it down after 10-15 pages and was frustrated with myself as almost everyone I know who has read this book absolutely loved it.

I enjoyed Lies, but I will say I think all the characters sounded the same. I think Lynch needs to either think more about who his characters are, or work harder to make sure the differences through in what they say to each other. Still, it was a pretty good read.

Yesterday I read the fourth book in the Alex Verus series of London-set urban fantasy by Benedict Jacka. This is becoming a cracking little series- a very familiar Dresden Files-like setup, and it's taken its time to start differentiating itself, but the difference in both powers (he's got no physical abilities of his own, but reads the future instead, which makes for an interesting variation on the usual urban fantasy style) and personality (he's a good guy at heart, but when push comes to shove he's a completely ruthless bastard) makes for a worthwhile read.

Yesterday I read the fourth book in the Alex Verus series of London-set urban fantasy by Benedict Jacka. This is becoming a cracking little series- a very familiar Dresden Files-like setup, and it's taken its time to start differentiating itself, but the difference in both powers (he's got no physical abilities of his own, but reads the future instead, which makes for an interesting variation on the usual urban fantasy style) and personality (he's a good guy at heart, but when push comes to shove he's a completely ruthless bastard) makes for a worthwhile read.

I've heard those are great from several sources (I think Jim Butcher it's a big fan of them), but I don't think I want to start another UF series set in London.

Finished Stardust last night, gave it 2 stars on Goodreads. I stick by my earlier comment :P

Next up, I think it'll be The Reader. This is, I believe, the only book I'll have read that is a translation. I may have read a couple of others and not realised, but yeah, I'm keen to read it.

I've heard those are great from several sources (I think Jim Butcher it's a big fan of them), but I don't think I want to start another UF series set in London.

Sometimes you have to wait for several days or even the better part of a week for the release of an urban fantasy set in London. That said, Alex Verus makes for a very engaging read.

I have absolutely no idea what took me so long to start reading Reamde. I picked it up several months ago, read just first few pages and put it away for ages for no reason whatsoever. When I finally started reading it again few days ago, I realised it's probably the most addicting novel by Neal Stephenson. Just a hundred or so pages to go and I can't stop reading.

I've been home sick for most of the last week, which would have been a better excuse to catch up on reading if it wasn't for the whole coughing, lying-in-bed-shivering and ... well, generally "being sick" thing.

I reread a lot of Pratchett though, and noted that the quality of the later Watch books (especially The Fifth Elephant and Thud!) is actually a lot closer to that of the "better" books like (Men At Arms and Feet Of Clay) than I'd remembered. Not sure that would apply to Snuff though (which I didn't bother with). I also read P. D. James's Original Sin, which I liked a lot up until the final reveal(s). I found that pretty disappointing, but I suspect I might be missing something. (The last page also made me suspect I've actually read this before, although I certainly couldn't remember doing so until then.)

Also tried rereading Mary Gentle's Ash (after ... about a decade, I think?) but I couldn't get beyond the first couple of parts (I'm not sure this is the sort of book that can easily be reread, which is a shame as I remember liking it quite a lot).

And now I'm about to start some Gene Wolfe ... but I'm not sure exactly what. The only unread Gene Wolfe books I have to hand are Return to the Whorl and Home Fires. Has anybody read the latter? (I'm a bit reluctant to start Return to the Whorl right away, so I'd probably have to start by rereading the first two Short Sun books. Or maybe I'd go back even earlier and reread the Book of the Long Sun...)

I completed Sandman vol 6: Fables and Reflections, one of the better volumes in my opinion.

And now on to more Margo Lanagan - Yellow Cake. I've only just started so it remains to be seen if it can beat any of her other collections.

The Crown of the Blood by Gave Thorp started strong and had an interesting premise, but the second half was a dissapointment. For a bit I thought I had found one of those hidden gems, but alas..

Oh well, hopefully The Grim Company lives up to some of the hype it has been getting.

Absolutely loved The Ritual by Adam Nevill. Horror as horror should be -- i.e. not shit. If you can stand 400 pages of ratcheting tension and half-seen supernatural norse horrors, this is for you.

Cracking book from a great author. If you're hungry for more, Banquet For the Damned is well worth sinking your teeth into. As I said in another thread, it's the one book I've read as an adult that's left me truly scared of the dark.

I've just today finished another of Nevill's stories - Last Days. Not quite as good as his other stuff, but still better than a lot of contemporary horror novels out there.

And now I'm about to start some Gene Wolfe ... but I'm not sure exactly what. The only unread Gene Wolfe books I have to hand are Return to the Whorl and Home Fires. Has anybody read the latter?

I've read Home Fires. It was kind of...odd. (Also the only Gene Wolfe I've read, so maybe that's just his style.) There's a ton of really interesting elements and people working through issues and emotions, but it doesn't seem to hang together very well as an actual novel. The plot is kind of perfunctory and the pacing is weird.

Archived