What was the most unexpected/shocking moment in the series?

nillingar

Ned's death for me, too. I'm used to fantasy where the good guys if not prevail, then at least survive somewhat unscathed, so I absolutely did not see it coming.

Also, the RW. I'm awful at picking up on foreshadowing (and it didn't help that the first time I read the books, I did it a breakneck speed), so there I was happily reading along, thinking all would be well... and then Dacey Mormont got an axe in the belly. :eek: I was so shocked when I had finished the chapter, I swear I wouldn't have noticed it if aliens had landed in my living room.

I don't understand why the RW shocked so many people it was clearly telegraphed ever since the chapter of Dany in the HOTU in book two and in ASOS the tension was building to that moment almost from the moment of the news of Robb marriage with Jayne W.

For me the biggest shockers were: Ned's death, Viserys and Khal Drogo's death and the stabbing of Jon.

I don't understand why the RW shocked so many people it was clearly telegraphed1 ever since the chapter of Dany in the HOTU in book two and in ASOS the tension was building to that moment almost from the moment of the news of Robb marriage with Jayne W.

For me the biggest shockers were: Ned's death, Viserys and Khal Drogo's2 death and the stabbing of Jon.

1. I wouldn't say telegraphed, but you knew it was going to be bad, before they even got there. 2. I was going to say Drogo, but thinking back, we/you knew he wouldn't last thru out.

I don't understand why the RW shocked so many people it was clearly telegraphed ever since the chapter of Dany in the HOTU in book two and in ASOS the tension was building to that moment almost from the moment of the news of Robb marriage with Jayne W.

In hindsight, there was a lot of foreshadowing but I don't buy that you weren't surprised. There was a sense of dread during the build-up but the brutality was still shocking, in itself.

I won't claim I predicted the RW beforehand, but I knew something was up. When the fighting started it was like "oh no! I never saw this coming!" It was more like "no... no... noooo... noooo... noooooo. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" :bawl:

"

There were three biggest twists that were completely unexpected for me:

3. Arya leaving to Braavos via ship and coin at the end of aSoS. I should've seen it coming, but I really thought she would get to the Wall.

2. Reveal of reanimated Catelyn at the end of aSoS. If you were really paying attention you might have caught the prediction, but my eyelids got hernias because of how fast my eyes went wide.

1. Agreeing with Apple, the Lysa Arryn-killed-Jon Arryn twist. Completely shocked and unexpected, my mouth and eyes flew open and at that point I stopped disliking Lysa to hating her, to feeling sorry for her (slightly) with LF's short, sharp shove.

Archived