Corn Code Revision 8. The Game of Thrones exposed.

Ser Creighton

Hey, wow that was pretty awesome stuff!

I admire all of you guys who take the time to write such big posts on this forum.

Posts like these help me get through the painful waiting until TWOW is finally out.This forum provides some good reading.

I think you're right about the patterns, it never occured to me to check the amount of "corn"'s the crow said, or the punctuation etc.

Haha, well it wasn't all me I asked a friend of mine to see if he noticed anything with the use of the word Corn. He is an expert in cryptanalysis, he spotted the fact that Martin was deliberately using bad grammer to create a pattern. And I took it from there.

Thank you for posting.

That is a great theory. This does sound like the sort of thing GRRM would reverse-engineer into the story

Well part of it is the repetitive use of bad grammar to create one of the patterns. And if you look at the actual amount of times he creates the pattern, he doesn't do it very often so it would not be hard for him to put it in there.

Interesting theory. This might be a huuuuge stretch, but the Sweetness as negative thread popped into my head while reading this. Sweetness = death or something else bad. Corn has a sweet taste to it. High fructose corn syrup (while admittedly is not something that exists in Westeros) is a sweetener that's proven to be toxic and a large contributor to obesity. The very sweet corn syrup = death, so maybe that bolsters the corn = death in ASOIAF?

In regards to Corn. Corn. Corn. around Jon Snow, this could also be a symbolic death. Jon often thinks about Aemon's advice to kill the man and let the man be born. It's always been my theory that the stabbing didn't cause a physical death but the symbolic death of the "boy." Every trace of innocence and purity will be gone and the character will become much darker.

Interesting theory. This might be a huuuuge stretch, but the Sweetness as negative thread popped into my head while reading this. Sweetness = death or something else bad. Corn has a sweet taste to it. High fructose corn syrup (while admittedly is not something that exists in Westeros) is a sweetener that's proven to be toxic and a large contributor to obesity. The very sweet corn syrup = death, so maybe that bolsters the corn = death in ASOIAF?

In regards to Corn. Corn. Corn. around Jon Snow, this could also be a symbolic death. Jon often thinks about Aemon's advice to kill the man and let the man be born. It's always been my theory that the stabbing didn't cause a physical death but the symbolic death of the "boy." Every trace of innocence and purity will be gone and the character will become much darker.

It's an interesting thought but Jon is not always with the bird when he says it. Jon never actually got Corn. Corn. Corn. He got Corn, Corn, corn. Unless capitalized death is not guaranteed. I am going to give an example of Martins 3 pattern outside the raven. Also the theory has been revised and is now smaller.

Ser Creighton if you want to actually be the most "Wicked" poster of all times...please do a search on the Hodor punctuation and how it's used by George. I had this thought ..what if Hodor is the equivalent of a human raven...that would just be over the top. This almost convinces me to buy the e-books to do the searches myself. All those Hodors just might actually have a hidden message.

Well you did ask nice so I did a little checking just for you. Would you like to see the 3 pattern we see with Corn used with Hodor on a character who is dies? Remember this all ties into Martins use of death and 3, Dany's 3 deaths to wake the dragon, Arya is given 3 deaths to use, Stannis and Mel make a sacrifice for the death of 3 people.

Now for Hodor.

ACoK ch 4. Little Walder had just smacked Rickon with a stick and Shaggy dog attacked, Hodor comes a running. ""Hodor came lumbering in "Hodor! Hodor! Hodor!"" Little Walder Frey is the subject. Remember what happened to him? Going to look for a couple more.

Ser Creighton, congratulations on effort and hard-work that was put in this theory.

I have read this last night, and have reread it now, just to make sure I caught everything. There are some quite interesting things especially your opinion that raven's voice is basically divided into 3 - raven, BR and GRRM. And gramar and punctuation is also tentalizing, but at the end, at least for me corn is just corn. Perhaps there is some symbolism behind it, but I have to admit I haven't caught it, and that certainly means nothing. I could be totally wrong but for me, corn is just corn. I will think about this thouroughly, but I doubt I will change my mind... Simply, sometimes cigar is just cigar, or in this case corn...

Ser Creighton, congratulations on effort and hard-work that was put in this theory.

I have read this last night, and have reread it now, just to make sure I caught everything. There are some quite interesting things especially your opinion that raven's voice is basically divided into 3 - raven, BR and GRRM. And gramar and punctuation is also tentalizing, but at the end, at least for me corn is just corn. Perhaps there is some symbolism behind it, but I have to admit I haven't caught it, and that certainly means nothing. I could be totally wrong but for me, corn is just corn. I will think about this thouroughly, but I doubt I will change my mind... Simply, sometimes cigar is just cigar, or in this case corn...

Thank you maiden, I hope you enjoyed the theory. If you think you are missing something think about this. It's simply Martins continued use of Death and 3's. 3 Corns, 3 Hodor's, did you know Hodor used the exact same patterns as the raven. And funny enough, the subject died. Try looking for 3 patterns in verbal dialogue. Not just corn, and look for it to be capitalized. 1 word capitalized 3 times in a row. I would look for the last two key patterns and the word does not matter just for the pattern.

Again thanks so much for reading, and by the way corn is often just corn, but watch out for three big corns, they can be scary.

I did just re-read your post. Since it is based on the text, you get tons of props, and I wont call it crackpot at all. Definitely the bird is using his voice to express the situation, and the pattern you noted is interesting. :cheers:

Thank you so much. Hey check out my last few posts on Hodor to once again see the pattern emerge.

Just found another one in Dance.

Meera and Jojen are both on the recieving end of a 'Hodor, ( text break) Hodor, hodor.

Have not fully looked at him but his patters are the exact same as the birds use of corn except with Hodor.

Thank you so much. Hey check out my last few posts on Hodor to once again see the pattern emerge.

Just found another one in Dance.

Meera and Jojen are both on the recieving end of a 'Hodor, ( text break) Hodor, hodor.

Have not fully looked at him but his patters are the exact same as the birds use of corn except with Hodor.

Just off the top of my head, but just like the Raven went into a conniption fit of corns when the wight attacked Jon, Hodor goes into a similar string of unrestrained "Hodors" when the unusual storm came upon Bran and co as they hid in the Queen's crown tower.

Just off the top of my head, but just like the Raven went into a conniption fit of corns when the wight attacked Jon, Hodor goes into a similar string of unrestrained "Hodors" when the unusual storm came upon Bran and co as they hid in the Queen's crown tower.

Yes, he did exactly that. Something else I just realized I forgot to check the prologue for Swords. The Raven looks right at Chett and says "Meat. Meat. Meat." Then right before the Horn blows the bird says "Men. Men. Men." But then something hit me, the Night Watch Horn. 1 blast for Rangers returning (safe) 2 For Wildlings (Danger) and 3. For the Others (Death).

I am trying to find examples outside of Hodor and the Raven, which seem more than enough but I am just curious. I found the Raven using Duel! Duel! Duel! in thrones when Tyrion and Thorne are arguing. I thought the Tyrion effect prevented it but during the same scene Tyrion has a conversation with Jaremy Rykker who of course is killed by a White Walker. I want to see if I can find it being used around Joff, Renly or Balon etc...

What? Is it not simply when the bird speaks something else than corn it is obviously warged. I cant wrap my mind around it being anything else, sorry.

No, sometimes he just repeats a word and that tends to be the Raven. But that is not really what the theory is about. It's about patterns, Corn. Corn. Corn. A simple 3 pattern. Meat. Meat. Meat. or Hodor. Hodor. Hodor. All of these mean the same thing. You see that and someone in the scene or a subject of it is going to die.

Hodor was looking at right at Little Walder Frey, "Hodor. Hodor. Hodor." he said.

Sometimes he says entire phrase, that tends to be the Raven being warged.

Nice theory and nice read, not sure if I'm convinced since it looks quite maniacal.

Nevertheless you could be onto something so I'll keep around.

So... the NW is about to be overcomed by Mance's army and suddenly an army comes out of the woods while screaming

"Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

Mmmmmmm.... :idea:

Edit: not sure if at the Kingsmoot the Ironborn screamed Euron's name thrice...

Archived