Corn Code Revision 8. The Game of Thrones exposed.

Ser Creighton

Ok this took me a bit longer to post because for some odd reason, no matter what key board I use the return button does not work on this site. So I had to write this in Word and cut and paste it.

I am doing these codes as they appear in the text to give a better example of how they work, and how to spot the clues. There are two codes here and I want you to see how they relate to each other and how easy it can be to see the clues.

ASoS ch. 33 last page.

Sam is fleeing Crasters, and is being asked to take Gilly with him.

“She’s my girl, and I beat the lying out of her early on. You said you’d help her. Do what Ferny says, boy. Take the girl and be quick about it.”

“Quick,” the raven said. “Quick quick quick.”

“Where?” asked Sam puzzled. “Where should I take her?”

“Someplace warm,” the two women said as one.

Gilly was crying. “Me and the babe. Please. I’ll be your wife, like I was Craster’s. Please, ser crow. He’s a boy, just like Nella said he’d be. If you don’y take him, they will.”

“They?” said Sam, and the raven cocked its black head and echoed, “They. They. They.”

“The boy’s brothers,” said the old women on the left. “Crasters sons. The white cold’s rising out there, crow. I can feel it in my bones. These poor old bones don’t lie. They’ll be here soon, the sons.”

Ok starting with “Quick,” this looks like a future danger code as noted by the pattern break and the whisper of danger pattern. But something is odd about it. It’s all in italics and lacks punctuation. This is not what it appears to be. Now what I do here is acknowledge this is a danger puzzle, and it’s odd, so I keep that in mind and I read on.

Now we get to “they.” They is easily identified as Crasters sons, and his the brothers of the child. It’s important to remember that. Martin makes sure you know that these are his brothers and they want the baby. So let’s work the “they” code first. This is a future death code, with a twist, note the italics, something is odd. Well we have a question mark on the “They?” that marks the beginning of the future pattern. Note these are not part of the death code itself. These are markers for the future pattern, and clues. But it is part of the total pattern. The question mark is not in the death pattern. It is on the single use “They” Why? What is it questioning? Who are they? They are Crasters sons. So is it questioning “They”? Well we actually know it is because it was not they who came for the baby, it was only one of the brothers. And he is the subject, and do you recall what happened to him? I assume you do so we move on. Now let’s go back to the odd danger code, because this is more important actually. It’s a unique code.

The danger code is telling you not everything is what it seems. The obvious danger here would be Crasters brothers right? But this is not obvious, Martin has altered it to let you know this is not obvious, or maybe to remind himself. So what is this whisper of future danger? Sam? Sam is already in danger. Gilly? Same applies as it did to Sam. The old woman? Not likely she will have anything to do with the story.

So what is this hidden danger? Well I am going to take a shot at right now. This is a danger that has yet to pass. So this is going to be a prediction. The danger is the baby. First this is not just a baby, this is one of Crasters sons, and we see what they are, they are Others. Martin calls him there brother, and they seem to want their brother. Martin named the baby “Little Monster” I do not believe this is an ordinary child, his brothers seem proof enough of that. I think they will come for their brother again and being near this child is a danger. I also believe the “little Monster” is a danger in and of himself. Are the boys sacrificed? Does not seem so, why would they be referred to as brothers, and there are more than one of them. Are the children used to create Others? Are they some form of half hybrid that has been mentioned in the books? Is this some odd old gods magic? That I can’t tell you, but as a prediction, that baby is dangerous. Now I am making a prediction with that code, and only a prediction. It is not confirmed. The second code is already resolved and has occurred.

That’s my puzzle for the day. I am going to go finish watching the Bears game now.

Ok this took me a bit longer to post because for some odd reason, no matter what key board I use the return button does not work on this site. So I had to write this in Word and cut and paste it.

The same thing happened to me on Internet Explorer so I used compatibility view to allow the return key to work. Maybe you had the same problem?

Probably I was using explorer when I tried it. Thanks for the tip.

I second that thanks because I've been having the same issues and find the only place return works is on my phone. Now I've been posting some pretty big things lately myself and not about to type them on my freaking iPhone! I've been taking your route and pasting in from word, not the most efficient way to go. Hope this works, for both our sakes :)

First of all- let me tell you that i've been lurking around this forum for awhile now, but haven+t had a reason to participate actively until i stumbled upon your corn code. Whether it was done for one purpose or the other makes no difference to me; it makes re-reading a lot more fun. i just wish i was aware of it the first time round...

But, let me cut to the point- in order to get myself more familiar with the code, i made a random quick search in Tyrion chapters of ADwD, trying to find a code that would predict JonCon's greyscale. So far i found this- it is in the fourth T chapter, just before the end of the scene. Tyrion, Lemore and the crew are watching the river in search for the turtles. They spot one, and the text goes:

"We are blessed, " Ysilla was crying loudly, as tears streamed down her face. "We are blessed, we are blessed."

Duck was hooting, and Young Griff too. Haldon came out on deck to learn the cause of the commotion... but too late. The giant turtle had vanished below the water once again.

"What was the cause of all that noise?" the halfmaester asked.

"A turtle, " said Tyrion. "A turtle bigger than this boat."

"It was him, " cried Yandry. "The Old Man of the River."

And why not? Tyrion grinned. Gods and wonders always appear, to attend the birth of kings.

So, let me see if i got it right... Based on CC 101- the pattern is for danger, and of lesser importance. So- it can't be about Tyrion.

The people present in the scene are basically everyone, besides from JonCon. Therefore, my guess is that it's not for him either. (or maybe...?)

Haldon comes too late to see the turtle. And, there is this weird italic him right after he appears. Could the code be meant for him?

And then, we have that last sentence all in italics... talking about kings. So.... could it be Aegon that the code reffers to?

I would really appreciate if you find some time to give me your thoughts on this one. My guess is it is not such an important event it is pointing too, but i would like to see if my reasoning is resembling yours in any way.

I have to admit, although it is fun, it seems to me that there is many ways of interpreting this patterns. They can be almost everything. I will continue searching for them anyway, just because they make for a fun read. And add depth to parts that, until now, i found most boring (the raven mumblings.) And if there is actually something in them, even better!

Thank you once more for this great discovery!

First of all- let me tell you that i've been lurking around this forum for awhile now, but haven+t had a reason to participate actively until i stumbled upon your corn code. Whether it was done for one purpose or the other makes no difference to me; it makes re-reading a lot more fun. i just wish i was aware of it the first time round...

But, let me cut to the point- in order to get myself more familiar with the code, i made a random quick search in Tyrion chapters of ADwD, trying to find a code that would predict JonCon's greyscale. So far i found this- it is in the fourth T chapter, just before the end of the scene. Tyrion, Lemore and the crew are watching the river in search for the turtles. They spot one, and the text goes:

"We are blessed, " Ysilla was crying loudly, as tears streamed down her face. "We are blessed, we are blessed."

Duck was hooting, and Young Griff too. Haldon came out on deck to learn the cause of the commotion... but too late. The giant turtle had vanished below the water once again.

And why not? Tyrion grinned. Gods and wonders always appear, to attend the birth of kings.

So, let me see if i got it right... Based on CC 101- the pattern is for danger, and of lesser importance. So- it can't be about Tyrion.

The people present in the scene are basically everyone, besides from JonCon. Therefore, my guess is that it's not for him either. (or maybe...?)

Haldon comes too late to see the turtle. And, there is this weird italic him right after he appears. Could the code be meant for him?

And then, we have that last sentence all in italics... talking about kings. So.... could it be Aegon that the code reffers to?

I would really appreciate if you find some time to give me your thoughts on this one. My guess is it is not such an important event it is pointing too, but i would like to see if my reasoning is resembling yours in any way.

I have to admit, although it is fun, it seems to me that there is many ways of interpreting this patterns. They can be almost everything. I will continue searching for them anyway, just because they make for a fun read. And add depth to parts that, until now, i found most boring (the raven mumblings.) And if there is actually something in them, even better!

Your close it's a not a lesser danger code, it's a danger code, and it's in the future pattern. No italics, it's not so much about one person as it is about the boat, it's crew and the river. It has bit of irony as Ysilla is crying they are blessed. No, no they are not. It's danger for them, and a good amount of it. If you want to draw a comparison to the roar of the turtle and the roar the stone man you can. But I prefer to keep it simple. Just a basic future danger code for ship and crew. I will see if I can find someting on Jon Con, but Martin reveals the grey scale, so I am not sure how much will be there. but you never know. You don't really need a future death code for it once it is revealed. But I will look.

I am currently marking down all the codes from thrones to dance, and have only started Kings.

Your close it's a not a lesser danger code, it's a danger code, and it's in the future pattern.

Thank you for your reply. There is only one thing i still don't get, and that is why i said in the las post that it looks to me like it can be interpreted in many ways; how come it is not of a lesser importance? Aren't the commas supposed to be for that? As opposed to periods and exclamation marks?

As for the JonCon; i just thought of him because i wanted to search for codes that are not derived from the raven or hodor or patchface. So, Tyrion chapters came to mind. No special reason...

Thank you for your reply. There is only one thing i still don't get, and that is why i said in the las post that it looks to me like it can be interpreted in many ways; how come it is not of a lesser importance? Aren't the commas supposed to be for that? As opposed to periods and exclamation marks?

As for the JonCon; i just thought of him because i wanted to search for codes that are not derived from the raven or hodor or patchface. So, Tyrion chapters came to mind. No special reason...

Why is it not not a lesser danger code? Did what happened on the raft seem like a lesser danger? I have cross compared most of the codes in the books several times over. It's always the same, with the two upper case one lower case. Each pattern has greater significance than the next. The comma is used to create text break. But it is the second word which is really the danger space, where the first word is more of a whisper or hint of danger. Stranger. Danger. Death.

You can interpret it however like, go over as many as you want, cross compare them and see how it goes. The danger codes are not really tricky and they don't need to be, danger is danger, which is why I don't focus much on them, unless they are combined with a death code. However it is Martin started with these patterns I don't know. If you start from thrones and work your way forward, you will see how the codes began to evolve over the time, as the novels and stories expanded so did the codes and his use of them. They are a tool, a puzzle, and an Easter egg as one of the other posters put it. They mark passages relay information, remind the author of something when he is writing and jumping around from POV to POV.

I suggest sticking with the full three pattern if your looking for major clues and Easter eggs. Go over enough of them and you will start to get the idea of how they work. Now as for wanting something outside of Hodor, the Raven, and Patchface, well the codes are all over the place. Many characters have used them.

Martin seemed to have worked with the pattern a little in Thrones developed it and flushed it out in kings and then just kept building it up from there. Often times once you actually figure out the code the clues are rather obvious.

An interesting quote from ADWD where Arya is learning a little bit about some of the lesser known religions in Braavos:

Those are the Stones of the Silent God, and there the entrance to the Patternmaker's maze. Only those who learn to walk it properly will ever find their way to wisdom, the priests of the Pattern say.

Ser Creighton, maybe you've learned how to walk the Patternmaker's maze.

“Osgrey!”Dunk echoed. Egg and the recruits took up the shout.“Osgrey! Osgrey! For Standfast!”

Found this while reading The Sworn Sword. Kill code for future?

The next thing mentioned is "Standfast" and by the end of the novella

Bennis robs the entire Chicken tower and runs away. Also the Standfast is no more as Ser Eustace has married Lady Rohanne so their two territories are now one

How'd I do? :dunno:

Frey family reunion. Really nice catch regarding the Patternmaker's maze. I am wondering if all along Martin subtly put clues in regarding the fact that he had put cryptograms in the series.

I especially like the clever bird, clever man, clever fool phrase. So tongue in cheek by Martin and Ser Creighton is very clever indeed and I agree he has walked the maze and left us kernals of corn to follow him..lol

Here is an interesting example that I'm suprised no one has mentioned yet:

From The Hedge Knight right after the trial that fatally wounded Baelor Breakspear:

A queer troubled look passed across Baelor Breakspear's face, like a cloud passing before a sun. He raised his hand and touched the back of his head with two fingers, oh so lightly. And then he fell.

Dunk caught him. "Up," they say he said, just as he had with Thunder in the melee, "up, up." But he never remembered that afterward, and the prince did not rise.

It doesn't appear to be an imminent death code, however Baelor's death is imminent (or already happened) when the words were uttered. So I assume that this applies to another?

I added the earlier part because I've noticed another interesting game Martin is playing. Go back through the books and notice which characters are touched by either two fingers or three fingers, and notice who does the touching. Martin is playing a "finger's game" as well.

Can't the Old Man fo the River have a double meaning here :

- the turtle of whatever it is.

- and the real old man on the river : JonCon. He is the oldest in the crew and they are on a river.

This pattern may be foreshadowing the grey scale.

It's maybe me trying to find desperately some clues.

PS : I really need to buy those books !

Ser Creighton, In regard to your predicting of Asha killing Ramsey due to the C word corn code.

We know there is an upcoming battle for WF and it will be huge for the reader.

I am not sure I agree that Asha will kill Ramsey, I noticed this in her chapter and it leads me to think it will be Ser Clayton Suggs as her target

He is cruel and enjoys torturing especially women. He goads and insults Asha constantly. He calls her an iron c---. She thinks he has a face that calls out for an axe between those eyes. His sigil is a winged pig and she thinks he has pig eyes. She wonders why a man like Suggs is always calling her the c word, as men like Suggs use that word to demean women when it is the only part of a woman they value. She thinks he (Suggs) is worse than Middle Liddle as when he says the word, he means it.

Looking at the Theon gift chapter..I think its giving us more than just Ramsey to consider. Notice who is coming in and who is going out, their sigils and the above..lead me to predict that she might kill Suggs which I would dearly love.

Sorry if this one has already been posted. Jaime's dream of his sister and father beneath the Rock aSOS.

The fires that ran along the blade were guttering out, and Jaime remembered what Cersei had said. No. Terror closed a hand about his throat. Then his sword went dark, and only Brienne's burned, as the ghosts came rushing in.

" No, " he said, " no, no , no. Noooooooo!"

First, Ser Creighton, this is a WONDERFUL post! The patterns are so obvious and everywhere in the text once you know what to look for. Major kudos to you and your cryptanalysis friend for noticing it. Personally I think the snowmen on top of the walls of winterfell are some basic stegonography detailing troop movements (hiding a code of information in plain sight) so to see a grammatical pattern code too is really incredible and makes me wonder what else there could be layered into these books.

So on to what I immediately found:

I first heard about the corn code when someone mentioned this particular instance of it:

ADWD Prologue

Abomination. That had always been Haggon’s favorite word. Abomination, abomination, abomination. To eat of human meat was abomination, to mate as wolf with wolf was abomination, and to seize the body of another man was the worst abomination of all.

So a very clear instance of the death code and (please correct me if I'm wrong in any way) It's a present death code (three in a row no text breaks) of minor character (the punctuation separating it is commas) and by being italicized it's an indicator of the subject which in this case is likely Varamyr himself. The only problem is it is not in quotes, which so far has seemed to be necessary.

Wow, I thought, that was cool! But then I kept reading.

I think I found another instance in the same ADWD prologue but later on, though it has some anomalies:

Blue-eyed shadows walked amongst the mounds of snow. Some wore brown and some wore black and some were naked, their flesh gone white as snow. A wind was sighing through the hills, heavy with their scents: dead flesh, dry blood, skins that stank of mold and rot and urine. Sly gave a growl and bared her teeth, her ruff bristling. Not men. Not prey. Not these.

The things below moved, but did not live. One by one, they raised their heads toward the three wolves on the hill. The last to look was the thing that had been Thistle.

So first I think the anomaly is that the three word combo is not in quotes and not really spoken. This is described from Varamyr's already dead second view point in his wolf One Eye, so really the wolf can't speak, but this is his internal dialogue. We couldn't have heard it from Thistle's mouth either since she just spat out her own tongue trying to fight Varamyr's invasion.

The repeating word in this instance is the word "not" and considering that our POV character is not really dead well... the only thing I can think is is that this could be kind of a tongue in cheek (sorry Thistle) joke of Martins. ...

now I'm second guessing if the tongue thing was deliberate pointer to this being a joke. Dear God.

anyway so we end up with kind of a "ha ha gotcha, he's not dead" corn code. If I applied the pattern to the text correctly. If the lack of quotes on the internal dialogue was also a deliberate addition, then perhaps that was an indication it was not going to be a full death to begin with in the initial "abomination" code? That too was not in quotes. I guess we will see if the code text is consistently in quotes in other chapters.

I wonder if Davos might have had a corn code with no quotes around some text to indicate whether he did not actually die also.

Sorry if this one has already been posted. Jaime's dream of his sister and father beneath the Rock aSOS.

The fires that ran along the blade were guttering out, and Jaime remembered what Cersei had said. No. Terror closed a hand about his throat. Then his sword went dark, and only Brienne's burned, as the ghosts came rushing in.

" No, " he said, " no, no , no. Noooooooo!"

Looks like Martin playing with the code a bit, future pattern, danger code, but has 4 in the count. Could also be a past danger given the use of the last no. But looks like a broken pattern.

Archived