What Are You Listening To? Version X: Loud and Proud

Alex.

Digging into the back catalogs of the Pixies and Alice In Chains. Doolittle and Surfer Rosa for the former (of course), and Facelift, Jar of Flies and Dirt for the latter. Doolittle and Facelift the favorites so far.

At first I wasn't really sure what to make of this album. Too much of it just seemed like meandering, atonal sound. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some meandering, atonal noise, but Shaking The Habitual really stressed my ability to appreciate it (it's also a really long album, so that certainly didn't help). But, subsequent listens have really endeared me to quite a few of the tracks. It's still a challenging and exhausting thing to listen to all at once, but there's more for me to grasp now. It only took me four months.

Except for "Fracking Fluid Injection." That song is just sonic irritation stretched out to over 9 minutes. Ugh, I skip it pretty much every time now.

The video won't load for me right now, but I absolutely love this song. If I were able to have entrance music for every place I go, this would be it. Jimmy Fallon is quite fortunate.

It really is excellent as walk-on music, I agree. Picked up their Game Theory album recently (which this is from) and I like it a lot.

ST

I'm a huge fan of theirs, and I would say it's not their best but that there are some growers on there in particular Sea of Love, This is the Last Time, and Hard to Find. Not sure if the opener, I Should Live in Salt, counts as a single, but I love that one now too.

I am one too, ever since I listened to High Violet, though now that I remember, it wasn't love at first listen, but it eventually grew on me. I guess I just need to listen to this new one more.

I just listened to The Naked and Famous' new album "In Rolling Waves". I really liked it. Though it doesn't seem as energetic as their first album; it's more in the tone of Girls Like You than Young Blood (Which isn't really a bad thing).

Right now I'm listening to

Jin is just too damn good at battles.

eta: Though I'd forgotten how much homophobia comes up in these battles.

eta 2:

Iron Solomon just gets destroyed. You can just skip his raps. Murda Mook's last rap was a bit corny though, bringing in some weird Bible stuff and a Trayvon tribute.

Man, My Aim Is True is just ridiculously good.

There's also a new Costello album out, a collaboration with the Roots. I've given it only the one listen so far, not sure what I think. I mean, it's fine, just not what I was expecting.

Not a fan of the New Alice?

I actually like the new stuff almost as well as the classic Layne Staley stuff.

is right up there with
IMO.

No, no, I'm just confused by it. I didn't know there was new, post-Staley Alice. I'll have to give it a listen.

Archived