How will History Remember Robb Stark - The King who Rose?

AegonTargaryen

Of course, history is written by the victors, so I think Robb's legacy will be largely determined by who wins the current conflict. But under all the various scenarios, how do you think Robb will be remembered?

Personally I think if the North becomes an independent kingdom he will take on an almost legendary persona, and the King who Rose sounds bad ass (especially compared to the king who knelt). After all he was the first King of Winter in 300 years. He was never defeated in battle, only defeated by the most notorious instance of treachery in Westerosi history.

If the Iron Throne is restored, I still think he will be fondly remembered. Whether a Baratheon or Targaryen restoration takes place, they will still consider Joff''s rule to have been illegitimate.

I was discussing with some buddies what we think would make a great bitter sweet ending. I could see an epilogue chapter that takes place from the perspective of an all seeing Bran watching a royal procession make their way to Winterfell to bury the recently deceased King Jon in the crypts of Winterfell. Perhaps Lord Paramount Rickon Stark walks his nephew prince Robb Targaryen (Jon's son) through the crypts of Winterfell, where they walk by Robb's statue. Rickon of course tells the prince that his namesake was his uncle, a King of Winter, and a legendary warrior, defeated only by treachery.

If the Lannisters hold the throne (ya right) then he would probably be remembered as a rebel and usurper.

What do you guys think?

Tragic folk hero. Probably not unlike Daeron the Young Dragon, who mirrors Robb in a lot of ways. Meaning, any critical analysis of what he did will yield up a lot of dumb mistakes, but he'll take on kind of a romantic quality. I can see boys in the North playing at swords and fighting over who gets to be the Young Wolf.

It also helps that he was only taken down by treachery, not through any battlefield loss. It's easier to elevate and perpetuate the mythos if his downfall can be attributed to cheating.

The Young Wolf, the one and only King of the Trident?

I agree with you that it depends on who holds the throne by the end, but I think it depends mostly on the scale of events to come. Dragons again in Westeros, Azor Ahai, the Others, Targaryen/Blackfyre invasion, etc will probably have a higher priority among the maesters that will (literally) write history. Still, the War of the Five Kings is probably being registered already.

Am I missing something, or Robb got the new nickname? All this time I thought "Young Wolf" is already enough...

He certainly will be remmembered in North, and not just as first KitN in 300 years, and unbeatable commander, than as someone who united Riverlands and North, and became first King of North and Trident. So, some romanticized notion of his bravery and treachury that needed to be done to kill him will most likely be embodied in some song...

As far as the history of the rest of Westeros, he will be just another historical figure...

In the North, and maybe Riverlands, he'll be remembered as the legendary Young Wolf, or King Who Rose or whoever. If Jon ends up on the throne the same will happen in the south, maybe the same if it's Stannis. If it's Dany or FAegon he'll be remembered as the son of the usurper's dog, which would be fucking shit.

Am I missing something, or Robb got the new nickname? All this time I thought "Young Wolf" is already enough...

He certainly will be remmembered in North, and not just as first KitN in 300 years, and unbeatable commander, than as someone who united Riverlands and North, and became first King of North and Trident. So, some romanticized notion of his bravery and treachury that needed to be done to kill him will most likely be embodied in some song...

As far as the history of the rest of Westeros, he will be just another historical figure...

THE KING IN THE NORTH!!!

In the North, and maybe Riverlands, he'll be remembered as the legendary Young Wolf, or King Who Rose or whoever. If Jon ends up on the throne the same will happen in the south, maybe the same if it's Stannis. If it's Dany or FAegon he'll be remembered as the son of the usurper's dog, which would be fucking shit.

I understand if Dany wins, but Aegon? I mean, the boy communicated rather well with Tyrion, and he was the son of the man who actually ordered his mother and his sister's killings (I know he is fake, but he believes he is real deal). I doubt Aegon holds any grudge against Starks...

I understand if Dany wins, but Aegon? I mean, the boy communicated rather well with Tyrion, and he was the son of the man who actually ordered his mother and his sister's killings (I know he is fake, but he believes he is real deal). I doubt Aegon holds any grudge against Starks...

I hadn't thought about that, but we don't know how much FAegon knows about RR.

I hadn't thought about that, but we don't know how much FAegon knows about RR.

Well, he must know who killed his family, if nothing... And if Tyrion was accepted that calmly, what do you think Starks could expect? Also, Aegon would ant to form alliances not declare war to everyone in Westeros.

There'll most likely be conflicting versions, future Bran Starks (whatever their family or allegience) will label him as a mighty hero, who won every battle but was betrayed. Future Tyrion Lannisters (again, whatever their family or allegience) will remember him as the King who lost the North, and pretty much doomed him and all his bannermen to die at Lannister hands until they had the good sense to betray him and save their own skin. Not to mention the other group who'll think of him as "The King who left a bloody big mess that Stannis the Mannis had to clear up," but they'll mostly be on these forums.

I have a hard time attributing Robb's downfall to treachery alone. It was his fault. He made the mistake of dishonoring the agreement that his Lady Mother risked to make to ensure his army could cross the Twins. He should have respected that and done his duty. Then he would have made a great King. There is no defense of what Walder Frey did in retaliation of the broken vow... but it never would have happened if Robb hadn't disrespected him. As such, I think he will be remembered by all as the Young Wolf who was too headstrong, immature and careless to lead his people to victory.

Does his story need to be romanticised? Young lord whose family is torn from him. Leads men to war and wins every battle. Proclaimed king. Falls in love and is betrayed by a host of people he trusted, his men killed. Tell the true story and you have a romantic tragedy of its own

In the North he will go on as the Young wolf as Wylla Manderly says

I have a hard time attributing Robb's downfall to treachery alone. It was his fault. He made the mistake of dishonoring the agreement that his Lady Mother risked to make to ensure his army could cross the Twins. He should have respected that and done his duty. Then he would have made a great King. There is no defense of what Walder Frey did in retaliation of the broken vow... but it never would have happened if Robb hadn't disrespected him. As such, I think he will be remembered by all as the Young Wolf who was too headstrong, immature and careless to lead his people to victory.

Do you really believe that after the blackwater, and the taking of WF by the Ironborn, that Walder wouldn't have betrayed him anyway? The only difference would have been Robb would be in bed with Roslin and Edmure in the crowd drinking. Once the odds were against Robb Walder was out

Actually it would... Let us not pretend not to know what Walder Frey's philosophy is: Always be at the winning side. The moment Lannisters became stronger was the moment Robb lost Freys.

Actually it would... Let us not pretend not to know what Walder Frey's philosophy is: Always be at the winning side. The moment Lannisters became stronger was the moment Robb lost Freys.

Except the Lannisters were stronger from the get go. Cat doesn't free Jaime Rw doesnt happen

Back on topic: Robb will probably be remembered in a tragic romance light

Archived