How did Genna disappoint Tywin?

Dead Wolf

In one of Jaime's chapters in AFFC Genna Lannister says "I was my father's precious princess... Tywin's too, until I disappointed him..." so how did she disappoint him? It couldn't have been her match to Emmon Frey, because Genna had no control over that. Thoughts?

“Jaime,” she said, tugging on his ear, “sweetling, I have known you since you were a babe at Joanna’s breast. You smile like Gerion and fight like Tyg, and there’s some of Kevan in you, else you would not wear that cloak... but Tyrion is Tywin’s son, not you. I said so once to your father’s face, and he would not speak to me for half a year. Men are such thundering great fools. Even the sort who come along once in a thousand years.”

I think Genna is smart, but I think Cersei is more like Tywin than Tyrion.

Ouch. No way. Cersei is batshit crazy. She is more like Aerys than she is like Tywin. Tywin is cold and calculating. He's not crazy. Tyrion is the only one of his children that can figure out his Tywin's motives and strategies. In ACOK Cersei whines about Tywin not rushing to KL at her summons, while Tyrion figures out that Tywin is waiting to see what happens with Renly's army first while staying in position to threaten Robb. If Renly had advanced on KL Tywin would have crushed Renly between the walls of KL and his host if need be.

Cersei's craziness is to a large extent the result of the Frog's prophesy that screwed up her life and penis envy (she hates being a woman because her brothers inherit before her and because she wasn't allowed to become a warrior like Jaime). If it wasn't for these things she would have been very similar to Tywin.

Tyrion doesn't have Tywin's lack of empathy.

Cersei's craziness is to a large extent the result of the Frog's prophesy that screwed up her life and penis envy (she hates being a woman because her brothers inherit before her and because she wasn't allowed to become a warrior like Jaime). If it wasn't for these things she would have been very similar to Tywin.

Tyrion doesn't have Tywin's lack of empathy.

Hard to say whether Tywin does or does not have empathy as we never get a view inside his head. Externally Tyrion can be seen to act without empathy at times as well (raping Tysha, comes to mind), it is only because we have a view of his internal monologue that we see he may have regrets or feelings of empathy.

Cersei is crazy all over and I don't think it is purely because of Maggy's prophesy. I think that may act as a trigger in some instances, but does not explain all her actions (burning the tower of the hand comes to mind here... though there have to be better examples out there).

Ouch. No way. Cersei is batshit crazy. She is more like Aerys than she is like Tywin. Tywin is cold and calculating. He's not crazy. Tyrion is the only one of his children that can figure out his Tywin's motives and strategies. In ACOK Cersei whines about Tywin not rushing to KL at her summons, while Tyrion figures out that Tywin is waiting to see what happens with Renly's army first while staying in position to threaten Robb. If Renly had advanced on KL Tywin would have crushed Renly between the walls of KL and his host if need be.

I think Cersei is similar to Tywin in a lot of ways, as is Tyrion. They can both be as cruel as Tywin, and are both too proud for their own good, and thats something that got Tywin to make a number of mistakes for the sake of his ego. Cersei, without her paranoia would have been fairly clever IMO.

Hard to say whether Tywin does or does not have empathy as we never get a view inside his head. Externally Tyrion can be seen to act without empathy at times as well (raping Tysha, comes to mind), it is only because we have a view of his internal monologue that we see he may have regrets or feelings of empathy.

Cersei is crazy all over and I don't think it is purely because of Maggy's prophesy. I think that may act as a trigger in some instances, but does not explain all her actions (burning the tower of the hand comes to mind here... though there have to be better examples out there).

Tyrion would have never approved of the Red Wedding. Or made his son marry Sansa. Part of the reason Tyrion feels empathy for others is because he is a dwarf, but there are still some major differences between him and his father.

Cersei is very ambitious but so was her father. He wanted to marry his daughter to the Prince and then he arranged to have her married to the King. Cersei's position would have been very different if she was male or born in Dorne and she was the heir to Casterly Rock. I think personality wise she resembles her father the most.

Well... agree to disagree I guess. Tyrion has Tywin's smarts, his penchant for strategy, and his ability to read a situation quickly/accurately and turn it to his benefit. Cersei has Tywin's ambition and cold heartedness, but lacks the clarity of thought/strategy. Also, Cersei's actions (with Jaime) create a huge threat to the Lannister name... where as Tywin did everything he could to protect the family's honor. I think Cersei wishes she were more like her father... but she lacks the qualities that truly made Tywin a great man (ugh, I hate calling him that). :dunno:

...Genna Lannister says "I was my father's precious princess... Tywin's too, until I disappointed him..." so how did she disappoint him? ...

She told him the truth: Tyrion was the only son of Tywin.

Just because something needs to be said, doesn't meant it needs to be heard, but Genna was too bright for Tywin's liking.

Tywin was a cruel man, no doubt, but he did not find sheer enjoyment from cruelty and malice like Cersei does. For Tywin cruelty was a means to an end. A useful tool in strong governance.

Cersei becomes practically giddy at the thought of her enemies being maimed and tortured. The only moments of pure happiness we've seen from the Dowager Queen is when she is exacting brutal revenge on someone she perceived has wronged her.

Both Tyrion and Jaime have demonstrated moments of cold cruelty but they never revel in it like Cersei has. There is a darkness to Cersei's personality that sets her apart from the other Lannisters. Probably a result of many factors but those should be left to another thread to discuss at length.

Tywin was a cruel man, no doubt, but he did not find sheer enjoyment from cruelty and malice like Cersei does. For Tywin cruelty was a means to an end. A useful tool in strong governance.

Cersei becomes practically giddy at the thought of her enemies being maimed and tortured. The only moments of pure happiness we've seen from the Dowager Queen is when she is exacting brutal revenge on someone she perceived has wronged her.

Both Tyrion and Jaime have demonstrated moments of cold cruelty but they never revel in it like Cersei has. There is a darkness to Cersei's personality that sets her apart from the other Lannisters. Probably a result of many factors but those should be left to another thread to discuss at length.

I don't believe that Cersei finds pleasure in torturing. Qyburn's methods are a means to an end but she doesn't want to know what he does. She also shows some restraint in making Sansa suffer, unlike Joffrey.

Archived