Help me plan my October reading.

RedEyedGhost

(I nearly posted this in the Truly Scary Novels thread, but I'm not looking for only scary books so I think it warrants its own thread.)

So what should I read this October? I definitely want something spooky or scary or supernatural, but also something that evokes this time of year.

Right now I'm planning on Ray Bradbury's October Country and Adam Nevill's The Ritual. I've probably got room for three more books during the month, and so other contenders

Already own:

Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory

The Enterprise of Death by Jesse Bullington

The Devil You Know by Mike Carey

Grimscribe or Noctuary by Thomas Ligotti

Seriously considering, but not owned:

Ghost Story by Peter Straub (but unfortunately it still is not available on kindle, otherwise I probably would have read it one of the last two Octobers)

The Dark Earth by John Hornor Jacobs

Salem's Lot by Stephen King (This one is all but a sure thing thanks to Tears of Lys' post on page 3 of the Truly Scary Novels thread)

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson OR Hell House by Richard Matheson (who's read both? which is better?)

Stir of Echos by Richard Matheson

Other recommendations are definitely welcome also. Help, please!

Anybody who hasn't read Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes should definitely read it this October, this is the perfect time to read this wonderful book.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a wonderful list already. Not sure you need any more suggestions :)

I was hoping for some help narrowing it down to make it a memorable month, because I think I should be able to read only about five of them. But I'm definitely willing to check out books not listed, those were just my preliminary thoughts ;)

REG, I checked your LT and didn't see this listed: Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge, set in a small town on Halloween. A short, dark story where the villain is not always the monster.

Enterprise of Death is pretty good too, though it's not particularly spooky. Just a lot of stuff with death, curses, and necromancers.

REG, I checked your LT and didn't see this listed: Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge, set in a small town on Halloween. A short, dark story where the villain is not always the monster.

Cool, I'll look it up when I'm not on my phone, thanks Ben. Should it be read right around halloween or just any time on October?

Cool, I'll look it up when I'm not on my phone, thanks Ben. Should it be read right around halloween or just any time on October?

Good question. I read it in early Octorber myself. On the other hand, the whole story is set on Halloween Eve and it's a short book so right around Halloween might actually be a better time for it.

(I nearly posted this in the Truly Scary Novels thread, but I'm not looking for only scary books so I think it warrants its own thread.)

So what should I read this October? I definitely want something spooky or scary or supernatural, but also something that evokes this time of year.

Right now I'm planning on Ray Bradbury's October Country and Adam Nevill's The Ritual. I've probably got room for three more books during the month, and so other contenders

Already own:

Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory

The Enterprise of Death by Jesse Bullington

The Devil You Know by Mike Carey

Grimscribe or Noctuary by Thomas Ligotti

Seriously considering, but not owned:

Ghost Story by Peter Straub (but unfortunately it still is not available on kindle, otherwise I probably would have read it one of the last two Octobers)

The Dark Earth by John Hornor Jacobs

Salem's Lot by Stephen King (This one is all but a sure thing thanks to Tears of Lys' post on page 3 of the Truly Scary Novels thread)

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson OR Hell House by Richard Matheson (who's read both? which is better?)

Stir of Echos by Richard Matheson

Other recommendations are definitely welcome also. Help, please!

Anybody who hasn't read Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes should definitely read it this October, this is the perfect time to read this wonderful book.

The Felix Castor novels are amazing. You should definitely give them a try.

Thanks everybody! Right now the plan will be:

The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (I'll likely be starting this one before the end of this month)
Salem's Lot by Stephen King
The Sorcerer's House by Gene Wolfe
October Country by Ray Bradbury
The Ritual by Adam Nevill
Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge

I might slip in The Walking Dead Book 9 if I have a free afternoon one Sunday. If I have time (doubtful) I'll also read The Dark Earth. I'm really looking forward to doing this "theme" month, I've never done anything like this before and I'm very excited. Thanks again!

'October Country' is one of my favorites :D

'Hell House' and 'The Haunting of Hill House' are about equal. If you really want to read something that can scare you, read Jackson's 'The Lottery'. Gives me chills everytime.

Another good, but short read is Bradbury's 'The Halloween Tree'. Its generally considered a children's story, but I've always enjoyed it.

• 10 months later...

Thanks everybody! Right now the plan will be:

The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (I'll likely be starting this one before the end of this month)

Salem's Lot by Stephen King

The Sorcerer's House by Gene Wolfe

October Country by Ray Bradbury

The Ritual by Adam Nevill

Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge

I might slip in The Walking Dead Book 9 if I have a free afternoon one Sunday. If I have time (doubtful) I'll also read The Dark Earth. I'm really looking forward to doing this "theme" month, I've never done anything like this before and I'm very excited. Thanks again!

This worked out splendidly for me last year. Possibly the single most fun month of reading I've ever had. So I'm definitely doing it again this year!

These four books are a near certainty, but I'm completely open to suggestions:

The Circus of Dr. Lao by Charles G. Finney - @SkynJay ;)

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

The Dark Earth by John Horner Jacobs - his Southern Gods is fantastic!

Pet Sematary by Stephen King

As most of these are fairly short, I should be able to get two more in during the month to match the six I did last year. These are the contenders:

Ghost Story by Peter Straub - why is this still not available on kindle?? If it were, I think it would be in the other category.

The House of Small Shadows by Adam Nevill

Last Days by Adam Nevill

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

We Never Talk About My Brother by Peter S. Beagle

A Stir of Echos by Richard Matheson

Of those six, what are the two that I should select? Or give me some even better options.

This worked out splendidly for me last year. Possibly the single most fun month of reading I've ever had. So I'm definitely doing it again this year!

These four books are a near certainty, but I'm completely open to suggestions:

The Circus of Dr. Lao by Charles G. Finney - @SkynJay ;)

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

The Dark Earth by John Horner Jacobs - his Southern Gods is fantastic!

Pet Sematary by Stephen King

As most of these are fairly short, I should be able to get two more in during the month to match the six I did last year. These are the contenders:

Ghost Story by Peter Straub - why is this still not available on kindle?? If it were, I think it would be in the other category.

The House of Small Shadows by Adam Nevill

Last Days by Adam Nevill

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

We Never Talk About My Brother by Peter S. Beagle

A Stir of Echos by Richard Matheson

Of those six, what are the two that I should select? Or give me some even better options.

Ghost Story. A bit of a slow burner, classic of modern horror nonetheless.

Other suggestions: The Night Country - Stewart O'Nan, Twilight - William Gay.

Ug, I highly, HIGHLY, dis recommend Pet Semetary. King's worst book, in my opinion.

Nonsense. Easily in top three of his horror books.

Ug, I highly, HIGHLY, dis recommend Pet Semetary. King's worst book, in my opinion.

What would you recommend to take its place that meets the following - New England, Autumn, and new to town?

Ghost Story. A bit of a slow burner, classic of modern horror nonetheless.

Other suggestions: The Night Country - Stewart O'Nan, Twilight - William Gay.

Nonsense. Easily in top three of his horror books.

I definitely don't mind a slow burn - especially in the horror genre.

Both of those sound very good, and I'll tentatively put The Night Country in for Pet Sematary.

I remember liking Pet Semetary well enough, and can certainly think of worse King books. Tommyknockers, anyone?

Glad to see some Adam Nevill on your list. Last Days is creepy as hell, but perhaps Banquet for the Damned is a slightly better fit for the time of year...

Ah, I didn't see that one as it's not available on kindle (in the US at least). I am positive that one of his books will make the final list. I do read faster on kindle, so if I want to make it through six books I do want as many as possible in ebook form.

Archived