What do other StanStans think about Melisandre?

Sansa_Stark

Melisandre's methods are unquestionably evil, her fanaticism clearly misguided, and her powers often more smoke than fire, but it's still clear that she benefits Stannis' cause tremendously. Without the assassination of Renly, Stannis doesn't have a shot at the throne- period. Her aid is not, of course, without its own self-detrimental features. Burning people alienates many of Stannis' most loyal followers, and burning the religious idolatry of Westeros' two major religions alienates both the general population and potential allies. Still, in sum, his chances at the throne are vastly improved with Melisandre's help.

As a character, I love Melisandre. Her 'fake it til you make it' approach is endearing to me, even as it is obviously fated to fail. She bullshits her way through prediction and sorcery, her eye on the prize of convincing Stannis to trust her and do what she wants. She tries to force the hand of prophecy, believing Stannis to be Azor Ahai she glamors up a fake Lightbringer rather than admit that her beach-bonfire ceremony failed to produce the expected results. She's unwavering to the point of absurdity. As wrong as she is, as atrocious her methods are, it's hard not to admire her for that.

Melisandre's methods are unquestionably evil, her fanaticism clearly misguided, and her powers often more smoke than fire, but it's still clear that she benefits Stannis' cause tremendously. Without the assassination of Renly, Stannis doesn't have a shot at the throne- period. Her aid is not, of course, without its own self-detrimental features. Burning people alienates many of Stannis' most loyal followers, and burning the religious idolatry of Westeros' two major religions alienates both the general population and potential allies. Still, in sum, his chances at the throne are vastly improved with Melisandre's help.

As a character, I love Melisandre. Her 'fake it til you make it' approach is endearing to me, even as it is obviously fated to fail. She bullshits her way through prediction and sorcery, her eye on the prize of convincing Stannis to trust her and do what she wants. She tries to force the hand of prophecy, believing Stannis to be Azor Ahai she glamors up a fake Lightbringer rather than admit that her beach-bonfire ceremony failed to produce the expected results. She's unwavering to the point of absurdity. As wrong as she is, as atrocious her methods are, it's hard not to admire her for that.

Highfive!

I don't know if people agree share this view, but I've always considered her pragmatic and ruthlessness to be useful in counterbalance with Davos' ''do it by the books'' attitude. When the two are together advising Stannis (even though they antagonize each other) the better course of action is usually taken (although Stannis' does fine on his own, but Melisandre provides a more belligerent attitude that is required for the struggle at hand) and the more negative effects of are most apparent when she alone is pulling the strings (especially when most of the damage was done in a moment of most vulnerability in Stannis' resolve).

All in all, I consider her a necessary evil but only because it's a wartime situation.

I dislike her greatly. She's the devil on his shoulder, as Davos is the angel.

Ideally, I'd like Stannis to pull a Darth Vader, and overthrow his evil magical partner-in-crime. It's the just thing to do, and with that done (and repentance made for allowing her to bloody burn people), I could get behind the Mannis for good.

As a character she's fascinating, and I hope that we get more of her POV. I don't want her to die anytime soon.

Really well said, and I agree.

?

I thought she was good for him at first, but the further the story goes, the more I feel as though she just needs to leave him for Jon Snow.

Davos is the support the King needs.

She's certainly better than the Florents. So Stannis's coalition includes foriegn religious adventurers; a wizard is part of a complete package.

She's the only reason Stannis was a player in the game at all.

I'd say you're probably right. However, Stannis has so much respect around the realm, at least from powerful/smart people like Tywin, Tyrion, chiefly and Ned, that I think he could have found a way to become a player. Of course, this is all purely speculative, but I feel like you would have figured out a way to become a player.

Highfive!

Thank you for the frank and open view into the thought process of a Stanstan - someone who will embrace evil so long as it advances the cause of King 'righteous in spite of everything.' And the fact that it's OK for Stannis to achieve power even though he "alienates many of Stannis' most loyal followers" in doing so can only have one result: if he ever does become king, he will be the most hated monarch in Westerosi history.

The rational, logical, moral and compassionate response is not to admire methods that are 'atrocious' and 'unquestionably evil.' It is to denounce them. An argument that the ends justifies the means is only valid if one truly knows what the ends are. With Mel, one can never be sure. Her track record sucks. ETA: So far her 'greatest accomplishments' have come to nothing while coinciding with some of the most immoral acts in the books.

Archived