Rugby - Pre Binding Edition

ljkeane

So the All Blacks lose for the first time in nearly two years.

Honestly by their standards I didn't think they played particularly well in general (McCaw and a few others did have excellent games), they were away at Ellis Park and South Africa were all over them for most of the first 40-50 minutes. They still almost won. That's fairly ridiculous to be fair, they're such a relentless side.

Still credit to South Africa, good win for them. I think they needed to get at least one win against New Zealand under their belts pre World Cup just to give them some confidence they can do it. They look a lot sharper in attack playing flyhalves in Pollard and Lambie who attack the gain line rather than totally relying on Le Roux for all their creativity.

That was an epic, nerve-racking encounter but finally we get one over the ABs. Pollard put in another stellar performance and has made the No.10 position his own but the standout performance came from Duane Vermeulen. He was absolutely immense today. The ABs showed their class in the 2nd half turing an 11 point deficit into a 1 point lead until Lambie stepped up and converted a 55 metre penalty to win the match.

And a big congrats to Argentina for picking up their first win in the tournment. Australia, after starting the tournament well, seem to have lost all momentum. Further failures during the northern hemisphere tour in November could well plunge them into a crisis, if they are not in crisis already as there have been reports of unrest amongst the players and coaching staff.

I know this is generally just a Union thread but the Super League Grand Final is on today and so far it's featured just about the most blatant red card offense I've seen. It was so blatant even a League referee had to send Flower off. So Wigan are down to 12 for 78 minutes but Saints look to have lost their last fit halfback in Hohaia in the process. It should be interesting.

Speaking of League Burgess played 79 minutes of the NRL Grand Final last week with a broken cheek bone. Pretty impressive but it'll delay him joining up with Bath.

Heh, another last second win for the All Blacks. Good game but the Wallabies really should have won when New Zealand missed touch with a couple of minutes to go, a bit of a lack of composure from them. Still despite being a bit frantic in attack they managed to cause New Zealand a lot of problems which was interesting, they'd clearly decided to kick to them as little as possible and it almost worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived