Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Howie Manderly

Most clever character in Essos

23 posts in this topic

We know Varys and Baelish are among the more cunning in Westeros but who are the standouts for Essos?

How about the Green Grace? Though I'd use the word cunning, not clever.

Most clever and cunning........mmmmh - illyrio if we do not count Tyrion who is not Essosi

But the most intelligent character who easily might become politically savvy is no doubt Missandei.

The shavepate. He hides his emotions so well, you never know what he's thinking.

That widow by the waterfront sounds like she knows what she's doing.

The people of Braavos seem to be very insightful and self-assured, including the Faceless Men and the bankers of the Iron Bank.

Illyrio Mopatis is a clever and cunning man, it seems. Not on the same level as Petyr Baelish, Tywin Lannister or Tyrion Lannister perhaps, but still one of the smartest in the series. The Shavepate and the Green Grace both seem to possess a slimy cunning, and some others seem to be fairly intelligent.

The most intelligent Essosi would obviously be Varys though (originally from Lys I think, though nothing is ever certain about him).

Missandei could grow up to be very intelligent and cunning, but she's originally from Sothoryos I think.

Illyrio Mopatis surely can't be that clever if every plan he has made has had to be changed, even the sellswords bad mouth him, my vote would possibly be the green grace

Tyrion is in essos right now, but what about the ruler of the IB or of the faceless man.... Bravoss is the strongest free city (Volantis might be contender).

Is Littlefinger all that clever? Most of his plans depend on luck and everything works out just right for him. I don't think he's all that great. He's lucky that Tyrion never confronted him about the dagger, or that Ned agreed to become Hand of the King or that Robert would go hunting and get killed by a boar. The bad guys have a lot of luck in this series.

Varys and Illyrio on the other hand seem to be into long term planning and more careful machinations. I would put them above LF.

Tyrion and Missandei are very intelligent and I would put them at the top of the list.

Voqarro's Whore, Illyrio Mopatis, the Shavepate, the Green Grace *cough* Harpy *cough* and probably Tyrion because he is in Essos now.

Brown Ben Plum, there's a reason he's an old sellsword.

Hell, now that Tyrion is there; I don't think its any contest. That's assuming, he is done with his pity party! After that Illyrio and the Green Grace.