Most clever character in Essos

Howie Manderly

Illyrio Mopatis is a clever and cunning man, it seems. Not on the same level as Petyr Baelish, Tywin Lannister or Tyrion Lannister perhaps, but still one of the smartest in the series. The Shavepate and the Green Grace both seem to possess a slimy cunning, and some others seem to be fairly intelligent.

The most intelligent Essosi would obviously be Varys though (originally from Lys I think, though nothing is ever certain about him).

Missandei could grow up to be very intelligent and cunning, but she's originally from Sothoryos I think.

Is Littlefinger all that clever? Most of his plans depend on luck and everything works out just right for him. I don't think he's all that great. He's lucky that Tyrion never confronted him about the dagger, or that Ned agreed to become Hand of the King or that Robert would go hunting and get killed by a boar. The bad guys have a lot of luck in this series.

Varys and Illyrio on the other hand seem to be into long term planning and more careful machinations. I would put them above LF.

Tyrion and Missandei are very intelligent and I would put them at the top of the list.

Archived