The Expanse optioned for Television Series

Brandon Stark

It's been awhile. Did the Cant have an Epstein Drive? I thought it just had a regular reactor.

It was an assumption on my part. Not sure if the book states whether it's an Epstein or not. Not sure it really matters at this stage.

As far as I can tell, the central technological conceit in The Expanse is that mankind has invented an incredibly efficient propulsion thingy, the Epstein drive, that makes interplanetary travel possible. Everybody has it. The Canterbury could not work without it (it would never get anywhere). 

The opening paragraph of Leviathan Wakes, Chap. I, tells us about this: “[…] Then Solomon Epstein had built his little modified fusion drive […] hadn’t given humanity the stars, but it had delivered the planets.” Then the very next sentence  describes the three-quarters kilometer long Canterbury.

The Canterbury’s smaller scout ship, the Knight, does not have an Epstein drive, using what it described as a “fusion torch”.

I loved it and I want more.  Trying to imaging it from a non-book perspective I think it's probably a bit too overwhelming without enough pay off to have a large gap afterwards, so I think the choice to do the first two eps in two nights is an excellent one and probably just what is needed to hook people.  I think the effects are pushing the edge of what's doable on TV for their budget, and for the most part look amazing.  The only thing that fell short at all for me was the shot of the reactor at the start, and I think it's simply one of those things that can't be done as effectively in a tv show/movie as in a book because the imagination is so much more potent for that certain type of thing.

Wise. I wonder whether it should be this thread renamed or start from scratch? I guess epstein drives are spoilers?

I dunno, you'd have to be pretty anal to complain about reading the words 'Epstein Drive' in a thread about spaceships zipping about the Solar System.

Karradin,

i was thinking something similar, though I don't if I'd call it "falling short" so much as not jiving with my mental imagery (expected something... gooier)

other than that, (and -- ok yeah, Angus couldbe a bit bigger, but whatever) it could almost have been ripped directly out of my head while reading Leviathan Wakes

Given the content of the short story Drive which SyFy put on their website as part of the build up for it, I don't think the drives should qualify as a spoiler.  Anyone that considers that a spoiler would also consider naming characters that are in the story a spoiler and thus is thoroughly pissed at this thread already by now.

Archived