The Expanse optioned for Television Series

Brandon Stark

Karradin,

i was thinking something similar, though I don't if I'd call it "falling short" so much as not jiving with my mental imagery (expected something... gooier)

other than that, (and -- ok yeah, Angus couldbe a bit bigger, but whatever) it could almost have been ripped directly out of my head while reading Leviathan Wakes

Yeah falling short isn't quite right, but anything more accurate would have necessitated a maybe spoiler, so I erred on the side of cautious inaccuracy.

Fair (and hope i wasn't toeing too far over the spoiler line with my comment) I wasn't trying to be not-picky or anything, just trying to convey, upon reflection, my biggest "disappointment" wasn't really disappointing at all; simply different from what I had imagined 

though, spoiler-y question

was the part with Miller tossing the air filter guy into the airlock in the book? I can't remember. While watching the episode, I totally expected him to space the fucker

Oh I don't think you were over the line at all, I agree completely with your sentiment.  When my biggest disappointment is an effect that I don't think could have matched my imagination even with 10x the budget I think it's sitting pretty.

I don't think that was in the book, but I think I need to reread!

I dunno, you'd have to be pretty anal to complain about reading the words 'Epstein Drive' in a thread about spaceships zipping about the Solar System.

They exist...

I guess it's a good think that I'm now frustrated that I have to wait 2 weeks for another episode.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to watch the first episode early (just because I already knew I would watch the series and I don't like waiting so long between eps), but had the chance to watch it last night with my boyfriend, who did not know about it. (He has read the first book of the series and liked it.) We both thought the pilot was great and the effect were really impressive for a TV show, although the dialogue was really hard to hear. Just the normal dialogue, the Belter patois was completely incomprehensible, but hopefully that was intentional.

Although both my bf and I had pictured Holden as blonde. Is that from the books or no?

I just watched it and I thought it was great, I'm re ally looking forward to see how it deveops. I haven't read the book and don't know anything about it so I got the benefit of not having to worry about how faithful of an adaptation it is.

And I do love me some Tom Jane.

Fair (and hope i wasn't toeing too far over the spoiler line with my comment) I wasn't trying to be not-picky or anything, just trying to convey, upon reflection, my biggest "disappointment" wasn't really disappointing at all; simply different from what I had imagined 

though, spoiler-y question

was the part with Miller tossing the air filter guy into the airlock in the book? I can't remember. While watching the episode, I totally expected him to space the fucker

it was sort of in the book. If I recall correctly Miller relates a missing persons case where some people spaced a guy who hadn't been changing the filters, and Miller didn't bother 'prosecuting' because he felt it was the Belter way. I think they just gave the story directly to him

Knowing nothing about this series of books, I went to Wiki.... IMO.... this has the potential to bring the entire space/sci-fi genre back on TV... Firefly sadly didn't last.... this seems like a smart series... 

Yeah, the source material is pure fracking gold. It take a screw-up of gargantuan proportions for this to fail.

Archived