The Expanse optioned for Television Series

Brandon Stark

If I was SyFy (or whatever they want to call themselves), I think I'd rather not have a constant reminder and comparison to the past glory of Battlestar Galactica. That seems like it would make Helo a longshot to be Holden. But what do I know, maybe they'd be happy to have a familiar face to the target audience there.

For Avasarala it would be easy to come up with some scenes showing her doing some political manoeuvrings back on Earth (perhaps negotiating with the OPA/Mars?) related to the events in Abaddon's Gate/Cibola Burn, there are even a small number of those in the books but they could increase them. Bobbie would be a bit trickier, they could depart from the books and have her accompanying the Rocinante (or one of the other ships in AG) either as a new part of the crew or as Avasarala's representative on the ground. That would change some of the plotlines a bit but it wouldn't be an implausible or unworkable change.

I can't wait to see who gets cast for Avasarala (I suspect it'll be a british actress) as she will potentially get to steal every scene she is in.

I don't think they need to introduce characters from later books in the first season at all. TV shows like to introduce new characters to keep things fresh. What is more complicated is finding things for characters that have been introduced, when they don't appear in a book but do appear in later ones. They may need to invent some stories then - unless they have a flexible contract with an actor who would like a year off.

I'm not sure if it will be a British actor or a Bollywood one for Avasarala, I hope whoever it is plays it with a reasonably strong Indian accent either way. She's so awesome, I agree she will steal every scene.

Bobbie will be much harder to cast if they stick with Polynesian as I'm not sure how much work there is for enormous beautiful Polynesian actresses so they might have trouble finding someone.

I don't think they need to introduce characters from later books in the first season at all. TV shows like to introduce new characters to keep things fresh.

Indeed. Look at how well the producers of The Wire handled this.

I'm not sure if it will be a British actor or a Bollywood one for Avasarala, I hope whoever it is plays it with a reasonably strong Indian accent either way. She's so awesome, I agree she will steal every scene.

Bobbie will be much harder to cast if they stick with Polynesian as I'm not sure how much work there is for enormous beautiful Polynesian actresses so they might have trouble finding someone.

As long as they can are good actors it doesn't really matter but it would be nice to keep the ethnicity and it would be a real shame if they cast someone younger.

Guess it's a good time to be a tall beautiful polynesian actress - can't be too much competition for that - although New Zealand tends to produce a lot of actors.

Given the discussion about whether Ceres swearing will be featured due to censorship in the US, how the fuck is Avasarala going to work?

invented swearing? I think they can get away non f and c words on syfy?

invented swearing? I think they can get away non f and c words on syfy?

Damn and Hell get free reign. Might be able to get a Bastard or two in there.

Ass and Bitch likely could work sporadically.

Everything else would be off the table in general. And yes, while I did make the argument that the scene could still work without the asteroid swearing.... Foul language is actually intentionally part of Chrisjen's character. It would seem odd to hear her with a censored mouth.

"Tell Holden to get his flipping crap together!" :rofl:

I've read all four novels, but haven't read any of the novellas yet. Were these only released in eBook format, or are there print editions available?

They're probably not long enough to make sense putting in a print edition, to be honest.

They're probably not long enough to make sense putting in a print edition, to be honest.

I tend to agree - they'd need a few more before it was worth collecting (which they no doubt will do if the show causes book sales to rocket). I think some of them may have been released as bonus footage in later editions of books as well but I'm not 100% on that.

Ugh...looks like it's time to break down and buy an e-reader.

I wouldn't buy an ereader just for the short stories. The two I've read are entertaining but not enough to justify buying an e-reader. Unless you've been consdiering getting one for all the other reasons and this just tipped you over the edge.

Ugh...looks like it's time to break down and buy an e-reader.

To be honest, they're not worth buying an e-reader for. They're little vignettes that fill out a little bit of character backstory, but they're all at or under the 10,000 words mark and while it's nice to read them from a completionist's point of view they're nothing particularly special.

ST

EDIT: Beaten to it.

And they are really short enough to download a kindle or nook reader to your phone/computer and read them there. Only three of four are available independently, the fourth is only found in an anthology.

And they are really short enough to download a kindle or nook reader to your phone/computer and read them there. Only three of four are available independently, the fourth is only found in an anthology.

What's the fourth? I've read Butcher, Gods of Risk and The Churn...

What's the fourth? I've read Butcher, Gods of Risk and The Churn...

They talked about their two short stories and two novellas at the signing, but looking it up now it appears that fourth one is a non-Expanse short story found in a collection titled Old Mars.

I've been on the fence about it for a while, so if there isn't a compelling need to read the stories to gain more insight about the Expanse universe, then it's probably not enough to convince me to buy one.

So they're really not so much like GRRM's D&E stories in that they are back stories that provide clues as to what is occurring in the time frame of the novels? If that's the case then I'm sure I can wait for an anthology to come out to read them.

The first and third ones are back stories for Fred Johnson and Amos respectively, the second is what happens to Bobbie after Caliban's War.

Archived