The Expanse optioned for Television Series

Brandon Stark

According to Daniel Abraham, who continues to sound genuinely enthusiastic about how the adaptation is proceeding, the director of the first episode will be a dude named Terry McDonough, who directed several episodes of no less a show than Breaking Bad. He is also very stoked about the production design:

http://www.danielabraham.com/2014/07/15/long-promised-news-on-the-tv-show/

I know it's hardly the biggest issue the production faces, and won't be a huge deal even if season 2 happens and the character becomes an issue, and that it'll just have to be gotten around, but I have a really tough time envisioning Avasarala not swearing. It's just not fucking right.

I am excited about the directorial announcement. Thomas Jane will also be terrific. Not how I'd originally envisaged Miller but now I've thought about it, pretty great fit.

This is reminding me a bit of GOT back when it was developed and everything felt like it was falling into place.

Although that means we have to get really upset about a piece of casting at some stage. At least none of the cast in the books were ever described as "the most beautiful/handsome person in the solar system" :P

I always imagined Miller as McNulty in space. But I guess Miller isn't nearly as much of a womanizer.

Hey, I never thought about that, but that works. At least the Not Miller any ways.

Is Franck still working for GRRM? never mind, I just watched the video from the web site.

Was I the only one that didn't really Like Cibola Burn? It was a rather slow, and the only really surprise wasn't true. Not that I hated it, but the other 3 were much better.

Was I the only one that didn't really Like Cibola Burn? It was a rather slow, and the only really surprise wasn't true. Not that I hated it, but the other 3 were much better.

I partially agree. I still liked it and thought it got better in the second half, but I agree it is the weakest in the series so far and the plot took a long time to get interesting. Often in the previous books the most interesting characters haven't been members of the crew of the Rocinante, and I think it suffered a bit because the new characters in this weren't as interesting as the likes of Miller, Bobbie and Avasarala in previous books.

• 1 month later...

Oh wow... She's fantastic. A bit young for my image of Avasarala, but obviously that's a minor change. She also has good Sci Fi cred in my book for her part in Mass Effect.

Not familiar with the actor playing Holden though.

Have to give this show credit, definitely lining up some solid actors. I grow ever more hopeful!

Oh wow... She's fantastic. A bit young for my image of Avasarala, but obviously that's a minor change. She also has good Sci Fi cred in my book for her part in Mass Effect.

Have to give this show credit, definitely lining up some solid actors. I grow ever more hopeful!

Much younger than I pictured, but she'll be fantastic. I've always been excited - I prefer to start out hopeful, and then have that hope crushed bit by bit (which I'm still 100% confident will not happen in this case).

With Avasarala showing up a book early, can we dare hope for something for Don Draper's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great granddaughter to do in season one?!!?

:thumbsup:

ETA: (At about 30 years per "great" that ought to be about right I think...)

I didn't imagine Holden to be that young. And other than 10,000 BC, I don't think I've seen him anywhere else.

I didn't imagine Holden to be that young. And other than 10,000 BC, I don't think I've seen him anywhere else.

I've seen him in 10,000 B.C. (but have zero memory of that movie), City Island, and Magic City, and he definitely played older. I was surprised at how young he is when I just looked. I was also a little surprised that I didn't recognize him at all when I watched City Island a few weeks ago - completely different from the character he played on Magic City. I'm excited about this casting.

I partially agree. I still liked it and thought it got better in the second half, but I agree it is the weakest in the series so far and the plot took a long time to get interesting. Often in the previous books the most interesting characters haven't been members of the crew of the Rocinante, and I think it suffered a bit because the new characters in this weren't as interesting as the likes of Miller, Bobbie and Avasarala in previous books.

After watching the full video of Dan & Ty and learning that it was a tip of the hat to Westerns or their idea of a Western, I feel better about the book.

Just dropping this here for those who're following the game at home.

Is that really you? or just a fan?

Weird.

Just recently heard of this book series.

But lets see:

Caliban (book 2) is a name from the fictional universe created by Games Workshop for Warhammer 40k

Abaddon (book 3) is main nemesis from the 40k universe.

Not that Games Workshop is original it its stories it stood out to me.

Furthermore, me, I, the horizon himself, wrote fanfiction in this 40k universe which resolved around the Khareshi Expanse, a name made up by Xisor. Way before 2011. Now, their are many expanses, yet I see some odd similarities. Of course it will be a coincidence.

But if this tv serie is going to be succes I will tell everyone I inspired them. ;)

Mwhuahahahaahahaha.

If not, I will denounce my fanfic. ;)

That's really Dan, he does drive bys from time to time.

I'm afraid the title references are a little more classical than 40k. Caliban is a character from Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' and Abaddon is Hebrew for a place of destruction and it's Greek equivalent is the name of an angel, a double meaning which I think fits (the gate leads to a place of destruction and in a certain light the ancient species can be seen as kinda analogous to angels and it's their gate).

Cibola is one of the seven cities of gold from the myth.

I love the titles for this series :p more meaningful than they appear at first glance.

Weird.

Just recently heard of this book series.

But lets see:

Caliban (book 2) is a name from the fictional universe created by Games Workshop for Warhammer 40k

Abaddon (book 3) is main nemesis from the 40k universe.

Not that Games Workshop is original it its stories it stood out to me.

Furthermore, me, I, the horizon himself, wrote fanfiction in this 40k universe which resolved around the Khareshi Expanse, a name made up by Xisor. Way before 2011. Now, their are many expanses, yet I see some odd similarities. Of course it will be a coincidence.

But if this tv serie is going to be succes I will tell everyone I inspired them. ;)

Mwhuahahahaahahaha.

If not, I will denounce my fanfic. ;)

Well, it's far more a case of using mythical characters to make your space operas sound cool.

Leviathan - sea monster from old testament

Abaddon - angel causing apocalypse

Caliban - shakespeare

Cibola - city of gold

I haven't read Cibola burns but the other names fit the books quite well. Not by accident I imagine.

Maybe we'll get a "horus" somewhere along the line?

Archived