Minor Character's Deaths That Hit You Harder Than You Would Expect

Arthur Dayne's Honor

I guess I just wanted to see the Viper standing over the Mountain, looking Tywin in the eye after he had been named and shamed by Ser Gregor. I get that it probably was a suicide mission, I just hoped that it wasn't.

You and me (and all of us?) both. I think if the RV had been able to get TMTR to also say Tywin's name it would have been an unmitigated success. But the impression I got was that Doran was kinda working the Tywin angle on the back end while Oberyn, more headstrong than strategic, was after TMTR's black curdled blood. All retaliatory bases covered. I think both Doran and Oberyn fully expected that he wouldn't return from KL. Now if only someone had given the Sand Snakes a head's up.

And The Red Viper is one of those stealth favorites, where I was utterly fascinated with him from the moment Tyrion went to meet him outside KL and then so much other shit starts happening that I lost focus on him. When he shows up onscreen during the trial later, I was sufficiently past the RW and PW and arrest and Ygritte and I was ready for my heart to be mended and hardened by this clearly AWESOME character Martin had introduced 1/3 of the book back...and then he dies?? That was just cold. And a brutal feint from Martin.

Dacey Mormont's death hit me the most. When Dacey was dancing with Robb and Cat was remarking how pretty she looked, it was heart rendering how she died. I knew something was up when the Frey rebuked her and declined to dance with her. :frown5: Poor Dacey.

That dwarf septon Brienne met. Man, that was depressing.

Also, I love dogs so I just hate whenever a dog dies in fiction, and Crunch's death was pretty awful

Yeah, hit me pretty hard when the dwarf died :(

And I do not know if he is qualified, but haha, I suppose Viserys ;) But I guess he is not what you would call a minor character..

Nimble Dick, the way he was killed was so brutal, unarmed and weak.

And Cressen, that was such a harsh chapter.

Interesting Noye's death upset people, I just thought it was awesome...

I thought poor Falyse Stokeworth might get some more love, maybe she wasn't made sympathetic.

ACOK Qhorin Halfhand and the rangers with him. Unknown, unsung, one by one these men go off by themselves to sacrifice their lives to protect a realm that does not care about the Wall or the men who guard them against the threat beyond the Wall.

Suire Dalbridge " Leave me as many arrows as you can spare, brothers." He stroked his longbow. "And see my garron has an apple when you're home. He's earned it, poor beastie." He's staying to die, Jon realized.

There are real true heroes and knights in this story..they are just common soldiers with no sigils and no songs being sung about them. Not so different from real life actually.

Maester Aemon. I was on my way to home on a bus and I simply couldn't stop crying while reading his eulogy by Samwell. I still weep when I see his name. I can't explain why, but I loved that nice old man.

The disappear of Old Nan saddens me too.

Princess Rhaenys: Hiding under a bed would seem like a really good idea when you're scared silly, but then to get dragged out and stabbed to death by an armed maniac....really, really horrible.

Feel sorry for poor Doreah as well, living amongst the Dothraki couldn't have been very easy for her, but dying in the wilderness is just heartbreaking.

(Otherwise: Jeor Mormont, Maesters Aemon and Luwin, Oberyn and Quentyn Martell, but they're hardly minor oh and anybody at the Red Wedding, although i feel even worse for Edmure who only realised that the in-laws had slaughtered his family and friends afterwards, and everybody seems to hold it against him.)

• 2 months later...

The 3 Maesters Aemon "egg i dreamed i was old" and sams eulogy reduced me to tears. Cressen. trying to save Stannis being willing to die for his sad sullen boy and Luwin that chapter with Winterfell all destroyed. Jory being cradled by Ned and Rodrick as well a honourable man the Cassel family don't have much luck. Yoren and the Halfand and his team all sacrificing themselves for a realm that won't know or care.

I know it's not really confirmed that he is dead, but to me it was Pod. That line when Brienne watched him dying really hit me. For the record I do think we'll see him again but at the time I thought he is dead.

Also Arys Oakheart and Donal Noye. But Noye at least had an epic death taking that giant with him, while Arys had no chance at all. I felt really sorry for this guy.

Jory Cassel is a definite. What a stand-up guy.

Also, Ser Cortnay Penrose. Say what you like about Renly (in fact, don't) but he inspired loyalty from some pretty decent people (e.g. Brienne). Penrose refusing to give up Storm's End until he's seen Renly's body and protecting Edric Storm from Stannis... :'(

Pate- Just seemed needless.

Pod- I care what happens to this kid more then i care about roughly 70% of the main characters. So when he "died" it was sad.

Raynard(?) Westerling- Trying to get Greywind out was pretty heroic.

Oakheart- Essentially suicide, the dude clung to his last scrap of honor.

Archived