Goodkind 53: We Don't Need No Stinking Magic!

Myshkin

I think this is all a test. Tormund hasn't been defeated, he has just gone to wait in a cave until we deserve victory. We need to rise up and live our lives!

Either that, or he's been kidnapped and lost all his magic snark powers for no reason at all. Could go either way. I bet it's Bill Clinton's fault.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like generic eighties' fantasy, but maybe that's all Daw has.

She is? That doesn't even make sense. She's all like magic horses and evil trees and shit.

How are the trees evil? Do they not celebrate life and Important Human Themes?

I actually got her first one. Back before the days of who I really knew Tairy to be or what Objectivism really is...so reading it as blank slate, it was just pretty not okay. Kinda brutal as I reall actually.

Alright, I found Law of Nines in the dollar store and I couldn't help myself. I have been reading these threads for a while now, and all i have read of his was a really terrible novella in the Legends anthology.

So...what have I done? Is this about par for TG or is this one worse/less horrible than the usual fare?

Also: I don't think I fed the Yeard, it's a fucking dollar, that's got to be a loss for a hardcover book. If I am mistaken, let me know and I shall attempt to make amends

I dunno, Law of Nines is "unconnected" from the Sword of Truthiness , and according to Tormund's review, Tairy lost all semblance of common sense and coherence. At least in Sword there's some (although insane) continuity.

Caveat: {Redacted} be aware your putting your sanity at risk, but at least it's for the sake of Lemminghood (or Important Human Themes should you lean in that direction... ;) ).

someone posted this on reddit fantasy a few days ago

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/1q7dj6/

Posting from a throwaway because I haven't been a fan of Goodkind's online retailiation in the past. Despite my growing disillusion with Goodkind, I'd still like to see my purchase and have no doubt when it does arrive, it will be spectacular.

Sorry about the length. Feel free to skip to the tl;dr. I'm hardly an expert at spinning a narrative, so instead I'll bulletpoint a timeline.

• Early summer, 2012: Goodkind announces a self-published e-book, The First Confessor. In addition to the ebook, 300 leather bound collector's editions would be printed and packaged with a bunch of other goodies, priced at $300 each. No other printed copies would be made available.

• June 20, 2012: The online preorder went live and sold out in minutes.

• July 2, 2012: The ebook is released and, with only a few minor hiccups, the CE people receive their ebook from their selected ebook provider.

• July, 2012: Everything seems to be rolling along just fine. We receive 3 emails this month detailing the status of the package build. No news on the book itself, but the extras are coming along just fine.

• August – November, 2012: About one update a month (none in October). Various extras have arrived and the first batch of "stunning" books arrive. No final ETA, but getting "close."

• Mid-January, 2013: two emails: The first is a "Big Update!" Everything has arrived and has been quality checked. Packages will be assembled and shipped out soon. A promise for more in-depth details closer to the ship date. The second is a final call for address changes (shipping addresses tend to be inaccurate seven months later.) Finally, a Facebook post from the team in the pre-order event page At no point was it said that a Facebook page for a 7 month old event would be the medium of official communication, and judging from the number of people who comment on the page, I'd wager less than half actively check for updates here. The first of the three hundred has fallen; someone has requested a refund. To-date, I know of at least two confirmed refunds and many more threats.

• March, 2013: An email asking which of a list of free addins we'd prefer. That's nice, but no update on the package, which was allegedly close to shipping a month and a half ago.

• June, 2013: Another Facebook post, this time from Rob Anderson, Goodkind's Creative Director (I believe that's his official title; he apparently wears many hats,) explaining Goodkind and he were repeatedly disappointed by the quality of what they received from the printers. They went through at least two printers and destroyed at least one complete set of books that weren't good enough. Allegedly, they finally found a printer good enough for them and received passable prototypes. Now they're waiting for a few more materials and they're ready to ship (sounds familiar.)

• August 27, 2013: At this point it's been nearly five months since the last official email. We receive a final ship date: September 27th. "We believe this date is firm. We do not anticipate this date to change for any reason. If we detect any possibility of this changing, we will immediately let everyone know so as to avoid repeating past disappointments."

• October 8, 2013: No packages, no emails. Past disappointments are repeated. There are rumblings of reasons why, but nothing official. Mostly people posting Facebook comments from Rob from other Goodkind Facebook pages. Rob posts a photo of the "missing ingredients" that have ust arrived on a pallet. No explanations or official emails.

And that brings us to now. Five hundred and six days later. Goodkind and his team have broken promise after promise and completely disappointed a group of fans who handed him $90,000. If you're still reading, you're probably asking why we haven't just requested refunds. The team in January said they've honor them (other methods, such as chargebacks and Paypal disputes, have long passed their timeframe.) Still, most of us fully believe the quality of the package will be worth waiting. We appreciate that Goodkind was picky enough to destroy subpar materials rather than send them out, and we realize he's likely spent far more than the $90k we gave him. All we'd like is to be regularly updated by email on the status. Yet they seem completely incompetent in that regard.

So, why am I posting here? Partly, to vent. I'm sure most of the people in the pre-order FB group are sick of hearing the same people lament the same concerns that we all have over and over. But partly because Goodkind has posted here before, both as part of the community and in his own defense. I'm hoping that perhaps he'll see it and realize how much his team's horrid communication and broken promises are hurting his reputation amongst some of his biggest fans. So, /u/RealTerryGoodkind, what say you?

Lastly, I'd prefer this not devolve into a Goodkind bashfest. I realize a lot of people in this subreddit dislike his writings. However, if this is what we can expect from Goodkind when he's self-publishing, I think it's something the community should be aware of. Despite enjoying his books, I won't be purchasing another until I receive this package, and will never again be purchasing anything directly from him and not from a reliable marketplace like Amazon.

tl;dr: 300 Goodkind fans paid $300 each on July, 2012 for a collector's edition of his (then) most-recent book. After many broken promises, missed deadlines, and worse customer service than Comcast, we're still no closer to having something in our hands. Stockholm syndrome prevents us from requesting refunds.

Archived