Could the people leave the nights watch before becoming brothers?

Tazo

So the choice of taking a black ( :D sounds wrong doesn't it) is given to any criminal, its either that or other way of justice.

And my question is, could these people still leave the castles and go to their regular lives without becoming deserters, since they haven't taken the black yet.

Because I recall when Jeor, lord commander saying : "Are there any among you who wish to leave our company? If so, go now, and no one shall think the less of you.”

I was actually thinking about that, but Sam wouldn't have a better fate if he left before taking the black. His father did tell him he would kill him if he didn't take the black (making sure that Dickon would be his heir instead).

You're right, I was just pointing out that he wasn't a criminal. He had another sort of doomed fate waiting for him.

• 1 month later...

Yep, it is completely optional to leave--providing you wern't sent there for committing a crime. Only those who choose to train with The Night's Watch would have the option of leaving before swearing their oaths, criminals would either join to be taken to the headsman directly at the wall.

So yeah. :dunno:

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Of course it's optional. For everyone, criminal or not. People are not committed until they take the vow - they're free to go until then. You can't be a deserter until you commit to a cause.

Criminals who refuse to take the vow would return to being civilians, and simply have to face justice for whatever crime they were found guilty of. I'd expect that since they were there to escape their convictions, few would refuse the vow. Otherwise, why agree to going to the wall in the first place?

• 5 weeks later...

They have the option but I doubt anyone would take it.

The ones who are there for punishment have no choice, and for some this could be seen as an improvement on their lives. For the volunteers, most want to be there, so its unlikely that they would back out now.

Archived