Is Dawn Lightbringer?

Tyrion Always Nose

Some fans believe that Dawn is LB, given the magnificence of the sword and its name, the correlation with the War for Dawn. I sincerely doubt it, even though Dawn is indeed one of a kind. And the sword is in Starfall at the moment.

I think Dawn is the original Lightbringer (and is also Dragonsteel), but the NW is Lightbringer this time.

Dawn is currently in Starfall.

It was made from a meteor, unless you think Dragonsteel is silicon, nickel, and iron (the most likely materials) it is highly unlikely that it was made out Dragonsteel.

IMO Dragonsteel was something that would fairly easy to come by, and my best 2 guess are another name for obsidian or steel that had been melted by Dragon fire.

As to the OP, Dawn sticks out way to much to be LB.

It was made from a meteor, unless you think Dragonsteel is silicon, nickel, and iron (the most likely materials) it is highly unlikely that it was made out Dragonsteel.

IMO Dragonsteel was something that would fairly easy to come by, and my best 2 guess are another name for obsidian or steel that had been melted by Dragon fire.

As to the OP, Dawn sticks out way to much to be LB.

It could still be from a meteor and still Dragonsteel. The First Men only used bronze so the metal from the fallen star would have been far stronger than bronze.

Also in Dany's last AGOT chapter she describes the comet as

the dragon's tail

In another thread, Free Northman said that the First Men could have seen the falling star as a dragon, and so when they forged Dawn they could have called it Dragonsteel.

In another thread, Free Northman said that the First Men could have seen the falling star as a dragon, and so when they forged Dawn they could have called it Dragonsteel.

I won't disagree w/ most of that, but Dragonsteel being written down in a book say to me, that there was at least a good supple of it. Dawn is one of a kind, and there is no hint in-story that there was ever another.

I won't disagree w/ most of that, but Dragonsteel being written down in a book say to me, that there was at least a good supple of it. Dawn is one of a kind, and there is no hint in-story that there was ever another.

Sam's first AFFC chapter-

I found one account of the Long Night that spoke of the last hero slaying Others with a blade of dragonsteel.

It's one blade of dragonsteel that's used, not blades. And there's only one Dawn...

If Dawn is Lightbringer wouldn't the Daynes advertise the shit out of that? Somehow I don't think Dawn would be a sword anyone forgets. It has to be like the Master Sword in Zelda.

Things such as origins of Dawn and the SotM title were forgotten over thousands of years.

And the arcs around Darkstar might be there for a reason - to bring the sword north.

As Bran noted Dawn was forged with metal from the heart of a fallen star. That suggests very strongly that the blade consists of an alloy including metal from a meteorite. We haven't seen any suggestion that it was forged by Azor Ahai and tempered in the heart of Nissa Nissa. But the Battle for the Dawn, and the Sword of the Morning titles inspire comparison.

The Night's Watch are the sword in the darkness and Dany's dragons are a flaming sword above the world. Both comparisons are explicit.

Mel calls Stannis's sword Lightbringer bit Aemon effectively points out its inadequacy. And Beric is gone, finally.

I'm going with Longclaw.

Mel calls Stannis's sword Lightbringer bit Aemon effectively points out its inadequacy. And Beric is gone, finally.

I'm going with Longclaw.

Maester Aemon's objection to Stannis' sword was that while it radiates light it does not radiate heat and therefore cannot be LB. The question becomes: Does Dawn radiate heat? There's also another conundrum. Does the sword wielded by AA become LB or is LB wielded by AA i.e. Is it the sword that makes the man or the man that makes the sword?

I think Dawn is the original Lightbringer (and is also Dragonsteel), but the NW is Lightbringer this time.

Dawn is currently in Starfall.

Yeah that. If light bringer is an actual sword and AAR is an actual person the fat man should just go the whole hog and have Jon pull Dawn from a stone and have a magician declare him the true King of all Westeros.

Maester Aemon's objection to Stannis' sword was that while it radiates light it does not radiate heat and therefore cannot be LB. The question becomes: Does Dawn radiate heat? There's also another conundrum. Does the sword wielded by AA become LB or is LB wielded by AA i.e. Is it the sword that makes the man or the man that makes the sword?

Here is what we know:

"In ancient books of Asshai it is written that there will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him."

"The pages told of Azor Ahai. Lightbringer was his sword. Tempered with his wife’s blood if Votar can be belived. Thereafter Lightbringer was never cold to the touch, but warm as Nissa Nissa had been warm. In battle the blade burned fiery hot. Once Azor Ahai fought a monster. When he thrust the sword through the belly of the beast, its blood began to boil. Smoke and steam poured from its mouth, its eyes melted and dribbled down its cheeks, and its body burst into flame."

And we also have the history of the forging of Lightbringer as told by Salladhor Saan and the partial tale of the Last Hero recounted by Old Nan.

Archived