College football 2013 week 2: OVERCOME ADVERSITY

Kalbear

Can you guys forgive me my cockiness? My calls were Miami, Oregon big, and Michigan over ND. :)

I suppose we still have a 4th quarter in the last one, and it is absolutely obscene to see Gardner's 98, but that looks like a done deal.

Not so fast there, Trisky

I'm afraid to think of what will happen when Knight is on the road against Notre Dame in a few weeks.

I'm hoping it's Bell by that point. They owe it to the kid to give him a shot. Knight has for two weeks shown that he has neither the accuracy nor decision making capabilities to be a starting QB yet. Bell deserves to show if he can play under the bright lights.

I hate to see this kind of stuff. I honestly believe that Texas will become an Alabama-esque proram that dominates the conference and wins national titles if they ever bring in a competent coach.

Then you'd better love this kind of stuff, because the fastest way to get a different coach is some bad losses.

Trisk it was on ESPN2. Not sure if that channel has regional or national programming.

Nobody does less with more than Mack Brown. The quality and number of recruits they get is ridiculous, and Mack just does nothing with them. Almost sad.

That said, I hope he stays forever. Patterson is shaggybevo's favorite to replace Mack if he is fired, and while I don't think Patterson would jump (for a lot of reasons), I'd rather not run the risk.

I don't think Mack goes anywhere until Dodds is gone though.

Its kind of funny, the WVU board I go to often is in meltdown mode over this loss.. Well, many posters are anyway. I don't get it, WVU had a chance to win that game until the very end.

The defense was MILES better than last year. They were getting penetration, tackling, hitting hard, created some turnovers, etc. An unbelievable improvement over last year and you have to give a lot of credit to the new DC, he really got the defense back on track. If they play this way all year WVU will exceed the 8th place in the Big XII expectation.

There were two big special teams mistakes that put WVU in a hole and also a fumble on a first down catch when WVU had some momentum. Despite these huge mistakes, it was not a blow out. People are worried about the offense. Lots of dropped passes, and weak QB play. But in my mind, you go to Norman as a 21 point underdog and don't get blown out of the stadium, that shows a lot of potential (even though OU clearly has some issues of their own). We have a good offensive staff, and while its clear they don't have everything ironed out yet I'm MUCH more comfortable with a sluggish offense to start the season than a non-existent D. With an offensive minded head coach I have to imagine that by mid season they'll have found some kind of rhythm. The O is very young and there are a lot of new faces.

I'm just amused by the meltdown from some of our fans. This was going to be a rebuilding year and everyone knew it. I thought the team played with a lot of maturity in a game that could have easily gotten completely out of hand but didn't. This is a team that will get better as the season progresses and has a lot of upside in 2014 with pretty much everyone coming back. I now feel like there is a pretty good chance that WVU at least goes bowling and I probably wouldve been hesitant to say that after the William & Mary game. Sucks to lose, but with K State and Texas looking like they might be in for a down year I don't see any reason why WVU can't get 4-5 conference wins to get bowl eligible.

Good win for Georgia. Their offense is as good as their defense is meh.

The D look good most of the game, when the O and S teams didn't screw them ( giving USC the ball on 18).
No, no way he just doesn't like being on live TV. That's why it took him almost a minute to answer, "so are the Lions going to cover the 4.5 spread?" Most deer don't that bad w/ a spot light on them.

Trisk, Hawaii may actually be worse than thw team Oregon St lost to last week. USC is currently down a fg to fuckin' Wazzou and just turned it over. With 2 min left.

Its kind of funny, the WVU board I go to often is in meltdown mode over this loss.. Well, many posters are anyway. I don't get it, WVU had a chance to win that game until the very end.

The defense was MILES better than last year. They were getting penetration, tackling, hitting hard, created some turnovers, etc. An unbelievable improvement over last year and you have to give a lot of credit to the new DC, he really got the defense back on track. If they play this way all year WVU will exceed the 8th place in the Big XII expectation.

There were two big special teams mistakes that put WVU in a hole and also a fumble on a first down catch when WVU had some momentum. Despite these huge mistakes, it was not a blow out. People are worried about the offense. Lots of dropped passes, and weak QB play. But in my mind, you go to Norman as a 21 point underdog and don't get blown out of the stadium, that shows a lot of potential (even though OU clearly has some issues of their own). We have a good offensive staff, and while its clear they don't have everything ironed out yet I'm MUCH more comfortable with a sluggish offense to start the season than a non-existent D. With an offensive minded head coach I have to imagine that by mid season they'll have found some kind of rhythm. The O is very young and there are a lot of new faces.

I'm just amused by the meltdown from some of our fans. This was going to be a rebuilding year and everyone knew it. I thought the team played with a lot of maturity in a game that could have easily gotten completely out of hand but didn't. This is a team that will get better as the season progresses and has a lot of upside in 2014 with pretty much everyone coming back. I now feel like there is a pretty good chance that WVU at least goes bowling and I probably wouldve been hesitant to say that after the William & Mary game. Sucks to lose, but with K State and Texas looking like they might be in for a down year I don't see any reason why WVU can't get 4-5 conference wins to get bowl eligible.

No need for meltdown. Going into the season, I thought WVU was going to be the worst team in the conference. They hung tough against one of the conference front runners and repeatedly came up with big plays on defense. The defense was a major bright spot, and should at least keep WVU from being blown out from here one out. The QB who played is frankly just not very good, though, IMO. Both OU and WVU need to look in a different direction I think.

The USC defense looks so much better without monte in there. But wow - how can a USC team with two 5 star qbs look that bad?

This is the first team that is all lane's, right? Just pathetic.

Ugh, worst performance by a USC offense I've ever seen. They looked so bad against Hawaii I thought they'd win 6 to 7 games this year. Looks like that was optimistic. This team might be the worst in the PAC-12; I wouldn't be surprised if they lose to Colorado if their offense plays like that.

It's going to be a long season, but at least this surely means the end of Kiffin.

Nobody does less with more than Mack Brown.

LIES! Lane Kiffin

Lane Kiffin might not make it out of LA Coliseum alive after this. Odds on a mid-season firing?

Lane Kiffin got fired tonight, judging by his face, I think he knows it too. I figure we're about four games from the firing being officially announced. I really hope the LA times headline tomorrow is "Dead Man Walking" Under a picture of Kiffin's face in the last two minutes.

The one thing I can't figure. Did Pat Haden not force him to hire an offensive coordinator because Haden wanted to give him enough rope to hang himself?

Because otherwise, Pat Haden's biggest mistake of his career as USC's AD was not forcing Kiffin to hire an OC

I'd be happy if Kiffin was fired tonight and Pendergast named head coach. We'd still win more games if Pendergast hired Kiffin as OC. :-p

Archived