College football 2013 week 2: OVERCOME ADVERSITY

Kalbear

With all due respect to you and your favorite program, at this point I have to just look at that BYU game as an anomaly. Texas has just too much talent for that to be a season long happenstance. I fully expect the Longhorns to trounce Ole Miss. They will wind up with a lot more frustrating games this year, but I really don't think that this will be one of them.

Dude, you sound like a USC fan circa November 2012.

With all due respect to you and your favorite program, at this point I have to just look at that BYU game as an anomaly. Texas has just too much talent for that to be a season long happenstance. I fully expect the Longhorns to trounce Ole Miss. They will wind up with a lot more frustrating games this year, but I really don't think that this will be one of them.

Based on the outcome of last year's game you have every right to feel that way. I believe we've gotten a lot better since then while y'all haven't. But we'll see what happens.

I don't know dude, better be a very quick turnaround or a few Big 12 teams are going to have a field day w/ Texas. Ole Miss is likely capable as well, since that's the game in question. Texas has less than a week to grow a run defense. I felt the same way last year about WVU's pass D. I figured, eh they'll come together. Never happened. Took a whole offseason and another year of maturity before they finally look a little better. Texas is certainly deeper than WVU talent-wise, but coaching is major and Robinson doesn't have a lot of time to get the D to buy into his adjustments.

One other quick note about BYU. I think I recently read (and if it was in one of these threads I apologize) that because of the Mormon mission requirement, most of those guys are a couple years older than all of their opponents - and often married with kids. I think that would make a big difference in maturity and focus and toughness and probably explains why BYU is usually at least decent.

ole miss poses a very real threat for the longhorns, imo. as the season went on last year ole miss got better and better and they've recruited quite well over the past couple of years. they are certainly a program on the rise and freeze is an excellent coach. they've beaten a respectable vanderbilt team (which still seems really weird to say) this year and the longhorns are reeling from the trouncing received from byu. I like mack brown and the longhorns are a good team, i think, but i'm going to go out on a limb and say that the rebels win. admittedly, my bias is SEC but i don't think its a stretch.

also, doesn't the new defensive coach that the longhorns picked up stink? i mean not bodily but his resume?

ETA: looking back they did get spanked by georgia but gave lsu all they wanted. the arkansas game was probably a little closer than it should have been also. thanks google!

ETA: looking back they did get spanked by georgia but gave lsu all they wanted. the arkansas game was probably a little closer than it should have been also. thanks google!

Despite the loss, the game at LSU was the best we played all year. The difference in the game was a special teams breakdown (4th quarter punt return TD).

To have a shot at beating Texas we must win the turnover battle. If Wallace goes out there and throws 3 picks like he did in last year's Texas game, we're fucked.

Has anyone posted about the looming NCAA violations about to come out of Oklahoma State?

http://www.usnews.co...-big-12-schools

SI is about to run an expose on thier program under Miles and Gundy and it sounds like they're gonna be in some deep dookie. The assistant coach in question is none other than Joe DeForest who is now at WVU and most fans wouldn't mind seeing him hit the road anyway. Would suck for the Cowboys though, paying players.. ouch. I don't think they are among the chosen programs that will avoid an NCAA hammering (UNC, Miami, etc).

I hope DeForest didn't do any of that shit while DC at WVU. If our defense last year was paid, they weren't paying enough. :lol: WVU has always run a pretty tight ship as far as the NCAA is concerned so hopefully those issues weren't brought up here.

apparently Pat White tweeted something along the lines of - "get that cheater away from the family!"

Could be potentially bad news for Miles at LSU as well, bu we'll have to wait for the reports.

The first in SI's aforementioned 5 part series on alleged improprieties at Oklahoma St has been posted. And it ain't pretty.

Found it interesting that Larry Porter was also implicated in making straight cash payments to players along with DeForest. Porter followed Miles to LSU and later had a disastrous 2-year run as the head coach at his alma mater Memphis.

Yeah it looks pretty bad, but apparently two of the guys implicated are dead (mentioned in the article) and the rest are guys who might have a grudge - cut from the team, kicked out of school, etc. I think the testimony is fairly damning but then again, it is meant to be. We will see whether any of it will stick.

Yeah, the entire point of the article is that it only covers a span of time that has reached the statute of limitations for the NCAA. IIRC.

There's a lot of uncorroborated testimony there, I'm sure that probably most of it is true... and I'm equally sure that most of it goes on everywhere. Hard for me to get too worked up over it I suppose.

There's a lot of uncorroborated testimony there, I'm sure that probably most of it is true... and I'm equally sure that most of it goes on everywhere. Hard for me to get too worked up over it I suppose.

Scandals where colleges pay players to play (the same players who are bringing in millions of dollars for the school) are like cockroaches. If you catch one, it means there were 50 more that managed to crawl into the floorboards before you turned on the light.

It goes on at every single school that cares about football, and I'm sure basketball as well. When I was a student at OU, there was a minor scandal involving Adrian Peterson, who one day in his junior year was no longer driving his '92 Honda Civic and was rolling around in a nice Lexus. Luckily it came to light quick enough after the fact that he was able to return it to the car dealership he got it from and have it said that it was a "weekend long test-drive that was available to the general public." Stoops didn't tolerate stuff like that at all, but players still got stuff from boosters.

*stuff*

One of the authors was Pete Thamel. The Thameltoe (as he is affectionately known in Kentucky basketball fan circles) is well known to be a general douchebag who tries to dig up shit just because he likes getting shit on.

The other author is Thayer Evans. Jason Whitlock had a few choice words about him. (Let it be acknowledged that I'm not a fan of Whitlock either... but the fact that he came right out and said this stuff is hilarious to me.)

But then in addition to that, having worked with Thayer Evans at Fox Sports, having followed his work for some time, I am completely and utterly flabbergasted that a legitimate news outlet would allow Thayer Evans to be involved in some type of investigative piece on college football that tears down a program, and particularly one that tears down Oklahoma State when it is no secret what a huge, enormous, gigantic Oklahoma homer Thayer Evans is. This is just incredible. Knowing the lack of competence that’s there with Thayer Evans, knowing the level of simplemindedness that’s there with Thayer Evans, to base any part of the story on his reporting is mind-boggling.

I was interested in reading the article when I first heard about it last week, but my interest quickly waned when I saw who had written it.

Who the hell greenlighted this from SI? Like seriously, on Monday they probably had grand visions of a return to the top of the Sports Journalism mountaintop. Instead, they pretty much shot their credibility in relevance in one painfully bad 5 part series. It's like Geraldo opening the "secret vault" on live television. All the hooplah backed by no substance.

I am truly sorry to anyone who watched the Texas Tech/ TCU game. Ugliest and worst officiated game I can ever remember watching.

TCU has dropped so, so far down in mg expectations. Worst offensive game we have played since.. hell, maybe 2004. Defense played well but can't stay on the field all night.

On the bright side, there was a fox on the field at one point.

I am truly sorry to anyone who watched the Texas Tech/ TCU game. Ugliest and worst officiated game I can ever remember watching.

TCU has dropped so, so far down in mg expectations. Worst offensive game we have played since.. hell, maybe 2004. Defense played well but can't stay on the field all night.

On the bright side, there was a fox on the field at one point.

Losing Pachall was a tough break. Boykin is a WR, not a QB. As an OU fan, I feel your pain, as we've started a WR at QB the first two games, although we got away with it by playing inept offenses.

Archived