College football 2013 week 2: OVERCOME ADVERSITY

Kalbear

Weird that all the Big 12 offensive firepower from last year has boiled down to OSU and Baylor. I don't think anyone else really has any firepower this season. Know who I think is gonna win the Big 12? OU. No shit. The conference seems to have decided to play D these days and I think OU has the best D and only needs a few things to click on O. By mid season they'll be holding people to low scores and producing on O. I'd pick WVU if we hadnt already lost to OU head to head. :laugh: But from what I saw from TCU and TTU tonight? WVU is QB away from beating them.

Baylor is maybe the only conference opponent on WVU's schedule that scares me so far, and believe it or not, non-con for the first time in maybe 8 years I'm scared of Maryland. Mark my words, West Virginia / Maryland will be a good game this year. UMD has some playmakers and WVU doesn't know what it is yet.

I am truly sorry to anyone who watched the Texas Tech/ TCU game. Ugliest and worst officiated game I can ever remember watching.

TCU has dropped so, so far down in mg expectations. Worst offensive game we have played since.. hell, maybe 2004. Defense played well but can't stay on the field all night.

On the bright side, there was a fox on the field at one point.

Those last couple of blown calls were horrible, especially the fumble. Weird things always seem to happen in Lubbock.

There are some interesting matchups between the Pac-12 and Big 10 this weekend.

Most people agree that Oregon and Stanford are the most elite teams out West, but UCLA, Washington, and ASU are perhaps the likeliest candidates to finish high after that.

UCLA plays Nebraska, Washington plays Illinois (who hammered Cincinnati) and ASU plays unbeaten Wisconsin. Curious about the outcomes of all three.

Bama v. JFF is getting all the hype but there are a ton of interesting games on the slate. I'm curious to see if Tennessee can stay on the field with Oregon for a half (or even that long).

Gary Danielson was on Dan Patrick and was asked about USC and Texas and who is in a worse situation. He said a few things about USC before saying that he flipped on the Texas game and could not believe what he was seeing. Interesting matchup against Ole Miss then.

I've seen a bunch of people picking us to win, which has me all but convinced that we'll shit the bed. That and the fact we're ranked and they aren't. Recipe for disaster.

There are some interesting matchups between the Pac-12 and Big 10 this weekend.

Most people agree that Oregon and Stanford are the most elite teams out West, but UCLA, Washington, and ASU are perhaps the likeliest candidates to finish high after that.

UCLA plays Nebraska, Washington plays Illinois (who hammered Cincinnati) and ASU plays unbeaten Wisconsin. Curious about the outcomes of all three.

Think Washington will win, I also think UCLA beats Corn, not sure about ASU and Wisky.

I am afraid Oregon State will get boat raced by Utah. Too many injuries on a already bad defense.

FSU gets back on the field after a bye week - kinda hoping the energy they are getting from Winston keeps them up, haven't been good recently coming off of a long break. Nevada's not anything to sweat, and that's where I get worried. Recent years have shown should be wins turn into losses.

Next biggest concern is if they do get up big do they keep him in to keep getting him reps or take him out to avoid silly injury.

Part IV of the SI article up. Again, a whole lot of nothing. In the biggest shocker of all time, recruits on overnight visits sometimes got laid. No allegations of pressure or incentivization from the school, coaches, or players on women to sleep with recruits. Basically that the recruits hosts introduced the recruits to women who may have been sexually promiscuous. No allegations that the school vetted women in an attempt to find those who would sleep with recruits.

How on earth did they think this story was going to go over well?

Part IV of the SI article up. Again, a whole lot of nothing. In the biggest shocker of all time, recruits on overnight visits sometimes got laid. No allegations of pressure or incentivization from the school, coaches, or players on women to sleep with recruits. Basically that the recruits hosts introduced the recruits to women who may have been sexually promiscuous. No allegations that the school vetted women in an attempt to find those who would sleep with recruits.

How on earth did they think this story was going to go over well?

It's becoming more farcical by the day.

Yesterday we found out that - gasp - college age kids smoke weed! :o

S John - I pretty much agree with you but I think we have a better defense than OU. I suppose time will tell.

One thing I will say about defense, wherever it ends up ranked: that secondary is LEGIT. Tech's top receiver got 0 catches, we had 3 (I think) interceptions, lots of good tackling, and even the giant Amaro only had two receptions once we re-schemed to cover him properly.

ESPN's College Football Live just played some recorded callers into an Alabama sports radio show.

:stunned:

Ever hear someone screaming into a phone broadcast over the radio?

ESPN's College Football Live just played some recorded callers into an Alabama sports radio show.

:stunned:

Ever hear someone screaming into a phone broadcast over the radio?

On Finebaum? Sure, it's a regular occurrence.

Bammers take ther shet serous!

ETA: David Ash officially ruled out for Texas vs. Ole Miss tomorrow.

Best move for Texas at this point (given prior OM history) is to throw a true freshman out there so he can have a career game.

If you've got the opportunity, I highly recommend an hour or so of Finebaum's show. It sheds a bit of light on what football means down south. It's a black eye for sure, especially for Bama and Auburn, but it also illustrates really well how important football is down there. It's wild. There are literally millions who place football higher than family and jobs, which helps to explain why college football is so successful in the south. It's actually bigger than life.

That said, I proudly went to a southern football school, and would never trade our tailgates for anything. A Saturday in the south means way more than just a football game. It's a family reunion with thousands of relatives.

If you've got the opportunity, I highly recommend an hour or so of Finebaum's show. It sheds a bit of light on what football means down south. It's a black eye for sure, especially for Bama and Auburn, but it also illustrates really well how important football is down there. It's wild. There are literally millions who place football higher than family and jobs, which helps to explain why college football is so successful in the south. It's actually bigger than life.

That said, I proudly went to a southern football school, and would never trade our tailgates for anything. A Saturday in the south means way more than just a football game. It's a family reunion with thousands of relatives.

I agree, it's fantastic entertainment. The fact that Paul gets it, and is so far above it (and that so many of his listeners are completely oblivious) makes it that much better.

And, i agree on what college football means. Nothing quite like it. :)

I agree, it's fantastic entertainment. The fact that Paul gets it, and is so far above it (and that so many of his listeners are completely oblivious) makes it that much better.

Finebaum is a genius. He quickly understood the dynamic between Bama and Auburn fans, and exploited it perfectly. He made a career out of giving no opinion one way or the other, simply opening up the phone lines to let those maniacs go at each other. Now he's on ESPN.

Phyllis and the other more prominent idiot callers are all paid to call in and rant. I'm sure they are that stupid, and I'm sure that Finebaum uses their idiocy to rile the normal callers into subsequent idiocy. Any normal callers who are not riled usually don't make it past the vetting process. Yet he appears on the 30 for 30 special as the carnival's unbiased observer when in fact he is the ringleader. Finebaum is not a genius. He's Jerry Springer.

Phyllis and the other more prominent idiot callers are all paid to call in and rant. I'm sure they are that stupid, and I'm sure that Finebaum uses their idiocy to rile the normal callers into subsequent idiocy. Any normal callers who are not riled usually don't make it past the vetting process. Yet he appears on the 30 for 30 special as the carnival's unbiased observer when in fact he is the ringleader. Finebaum is not a genius. He's Jerry Springer.

>>Implying that Jerry Springer isn't a genius.

The Iron Bowl 30 for 30 was more or less a parody of itself; Finebaum's role in it was perfect.

Archived