Commonly Believed Myths

Moon-Pale Maiden

I concede. I just re-read all those chapters. Sansa does go to Cersei, but all Sansa's telling really causes is that Sansa is neatly captured to a tower cell, Cersei knew what was happening (maybe Sansa revealed the name of the ship/dead Cayn, but that was going to happen any way you cut it).

I guess I am troubled by how naive Sansa behaviour was.

Well no. It causes more than Sansa being captured. It puts Arya at risk too.

You yourself have a misconception. If Rhaegar and Lyanna married and if Jon is a legitimate son of Rhaegar, then according to the laws of Westeros, Jon is the rightful heir after Aegon and before Viserys. You could argue that they should have protected Aegon instead of Jon, that would not be possible either. The news of the sack of King's Landing and Aegon's murder would reach Dorne before they leave it. After Aegon, Jon is the heir and even if they tried to go to Dragonstone, that would not help them at all. They are very recognizeable, and they can't get to Dragonstone before Stannis lays siege.

The main point is, while you accuse others to have misconceptions, you can very well be the one having the only misconception about this issue. And your sarcastic attitude doesn't help at all. Yes, you contribute to this forum. Yes, you have some very good theories. But no, that doesn't mean you can be as sarcastic as you please and judge their opinions. You can talk about being correct if/when we learn that R+L=J is incorrect, but even than you should not be sarcastic.

Uh, Apple was saying exactly what you're saying, I'm pretty sure. She agrees that the Kingsguard were guarding Jon, aka the new heir.

You yourself have a misconception. If Rhaegar and Lyanna married and if Jon is a legitimate son of Rhaegar, then according to the laws of Westeros, Jon is the rightful heir after Aegon and before Viserys. You could argue that they should have protected Aegon instead of Jon, that would not be possible either. The news of the sack of King's Landing and Aegon's murder would reach Dorne before they leave it. After Aegon, Jon is the heir and even if they tried to go to Dragonstone, that would not help them at all. They are very recognizeable, and they can't get to Dragonstone before Stannis lays siege.

The main point is, while you accuse others to have misconceptions, you can very well be the one having the only misconception about this issue. And your sarcastic attitude doesn't help at all. Yes, you contribute to this forum. Yes, you have some very good theories. But no, that doesn't mean you can be as sarcastic as you please and judge their opinions. You can talk about being correct if/when we learn that R+L=J is incorrect, but even than you should not be sarcastic.

You seem to have misunderstood Apple Martini's entire argument...

ETA: Ninja'd by Dragonfish

The Kingsguard do what they are commanded to do. It's part of their oath.

Yes but once Rhaegar died, he's no longer the King, so they should be protecting the new king (which the people perpetuating this misconception are saying is Viserys). The fact that they stayed at the ToJ is just another piece of evidence to the R+L=J theory.

Yes but once Rhaegar died, he's no longer the King, so they should be protecting the new king (which the people perpetuating this misconception are saying is Viserys). The fact that they stayed at the ToJ is just another piece of evidence to the R+L=J theory.

We agree on that :)

I'll start with everyone's favorite:

Myth: Targaryens are immune to fire.

This, unfortunately, is counterbalanced by its opposite "myth": that no Targs ever have the slightest amount of RESISTANCE to fire or heat, except on one single occasion.

When Dany meets Drogon in the pit, she ducks to avoid his flame, so there is no indication that she was immune to it in that example.

Actually, there is. Barristan says he "saw her burning" and Dany herself seems to compare her experience in the pit to her experience in the bonfire.

That GRRM kills all the favourite characters.

I believe this myth started with decapitation of Eddard since it was no doubt a very traumatising moment for a lot of readers/watchers. But still, in my opinion, not that many central (and liked) characters have been killed during the story which really is a story about war and power struggles and actually should have a way bigger body count.

This, unfortunately, is counterbalanced by its opposite "myth": that no Targs ever have the slightest amount of RESISTANCE to fire or heat, except on one single occasion.

Actually, there is. Barristan says he "saw her burning" and Dany herself seems to compare her experience in the pit to her experience in the bonfire.

Hmm... well, let's see what the text actually says. I could be misremembering.

His head turned. Smoke rose between his teeth. His blood was smoking too, where it

dripped upon the ground. He beat his wings again, sending up a choking storm of scarlet sand.

Dany stumbled into the hot red cloud, coughing. He snapped.

“No” was all that she had time to say. No, not me, don’t you know me? The black teeth

closed inches from her face. He meant to tear my head off. The sand was in her eyes. She

stumbled over the pitmaster’s corpse and fell on her backside.

Drogon roared. The sound filled the pit. A furnace wind engulfed her. The dragon’s long

scaled neck stretched toward her. When his mouth opened, she could see bits of broken bone

and charred flesh between his black teeth. His eyes were molten. I am looking into hell, but I

dare not look away. She had never been so certain of anything. If I run from him, he will burn

me and devour me. In Westeros the septons spoke of seven hells and seven heavens, but the

Seven Kingdoms and their gods were far away. If she died here, Dany wondered, would the

horse god of the Dothraki part the grass and claim her for his starry khalasar, so she might

ride the nightlands beside her sun-and-stars? Or would the angry gods of Ghis send their

harpies to seize her soul and drag her down to torment? Drogon roared full in her face, his

breath hot enough to blister skin. Off to her right Dany heard Barristan Selmy shouting, “Me!

Try me. Over here. Me!”

In the smoldering red pits of Drogon’s eyes, Dany saw her own reflection. How small she

looked, how weak and frail and scared. I cannot let him see my fear. She scrabbled in the

sand, pushing against the pitmaster’s corpse, and her fingers brushed against the handle of

his whip. Touching it made her feel braver. The leather was warm, alive. Drogon roared again,

the sound so loud that she almost dropped the whip. His teeth snapped at her.

Dany hit him. “No,” she screamed, swinging the lash with all the strength that she had in

her. The dragon jerked his head back. “No,” she screamed again. “NO!” The barbs raked

along his snout. Drogon rose, his wings covering her in shadow. Dany swung the lash at his

scaled belly, back and forth until her arm began to ache. His long serpentine neck bent like an

archer’s bow. With a hisssssss, he spat black fire down at her. Dany darted underneath the

flames, swinging the whip and shouting, “No, no, no. Get DOWN!” His answering roar was full

of fear and fury, full of pain. His wings beat once, twice …

… and folded. The dragon gave one last hiss and stretched out flat upon his belly. Black

blood was flowing from the wound where the spear had pierced him, smoking where it dripped

onto the scorched sands. He is fire made flesh, she thought, and so am I.

Daenerys Targaryen vaulted onto the dragon’s back..

I think the text could be looked at a few different ways, but the way I see it is that the only time Drogon actually threw flame at her, she ducked. But it's a little ambiguous further up in the text, so I can see why some people might assume it's proof of some resistance to fire. When Drogon roars at her, however, I don't think he's actually roaring fire, I think it's just a roar.

Most interestingly, Dany herself is worried about being burned alive.

Hmm... well, let's see what the text actually says. I could be misremembering.

I was actually referring to later chapters. Barristan's and Dany's last chapters.

THE QUEENS HAND: "Her hair was afire. I saw that too. She was burning ... and if I did not see her fall, hundreds swear they did."

DAENERYS [10]: [Thinking back about Drogo's funeral pyre:] "The fire burned away my hair, but elsewise it did not touch me. It had been the same in Daznak's Pit."

When Drogon roars at her, however, I don't think he's actually roaring fire, I think it's just a roar.

Like with Quentyn, engulfed in Rhaegal's "furnace wind", after Rhaegal roars.

Most interestingly, Dany herself is worried about being burned alive.

This only shows that there is a middle ground between "complete fire immunity all the time" and "no fire resistance at all ever, except once only".

That the knights of Aerys Kingsguard were the most honourable guys in history, and completely without flaws. Dayne, Hightower, Whent, Darry, Selmy, Martell and Lannister were all shades of grey, even if all we know about them is the deeds they witnessed and did nothing about.

I'd also like to add to this by saying that there's a misconception that Robert's KG was incompetent. We have no evidence that any of the KG shouldn't have been there, maybe except for Boros Blount, who is at least in his 40s anyway.

That may be true, too. But I do still think that this is a myth, because most of the main characters have survived the story.

"Main characters" is a bit less subjective than "favorite characters".

If I say my favorite characters are Ned Stark, Robb Stark, Grey Wind, Lady, Septa Mordane, Joffrey, Shae, Lysa and Rodrik Cassel, then what can you say? Obviously, it is not a "myth" that my favorite characters have not survived the series.

Archived