Dumb predictions you made that were wrong

Illyrio Mo'Parties

Hello, I tried to find a similar thread with no luck.

Looking over some of the predictions and theories, it's obvious that they couldn't possibly all be true. I'm wondering if anybody has any predictions they made in the past that proved spectacularly wrong. I'm new here, so maybe there was a popular fan theory that got disproved by subsequent books, or cast into doubt by the show. Maybe you had your own spectacular prediction that seemed to make perfect sense at the time, and now you'd look like an idiot if anybody remembered. If so, post it here and let everybody laugh at your foolishness.

I'll start: I was convinced Tywin was going to off Joffrey himself, as part of the deal with the Tyrells. In fact, I was so sure of this that I actually wrote it down and e-mailed it to my friends so that it would be time-stamped and I could crow about it when it came true. What a jackass:

Totally just think I cracked the long game on Game of Thrones, and I want to document my prediction to see if I'm right when the time comes.

(N.B. I have just watched S03E04)

Tywin Lannister must have done a stitch-up with the Tyrells: get me out of the shit in the war and I'll share King's Landing. Marjorie gets to marry Joffrey and bear his children, thus keeping Lannister blood on the throne; once Joffrey has sired an heir or two, he is for the chop, as he's crazy and can't be trusted to rule. This must be how Tywin aims to control Joffrey. Perhaps his head will be offered to the Starks in exchange for peace. And so will Sansa's, albeit still attached to her neck: with her marrying Loras, the Tyrells - and by extension, the Lannisters - get control of an important game piece. This arrangement grants Tywin effective kingship as he would be Lord Regent and Protector of the Realm until the heir came of age (the position that Robert Baratheon lined up for Ned Stark).

Obviously, I hadn't read the books at this point. Anybody else get it all horribly wrong?

I thought there was much more to Dareon's death than there ended up being. I remember my theories on the subject became quite extravagant as the wait for A Dance with Dragons wore on. And all for nothing, as it turned out.

I barreled through all five books before I actually took the time to formulate any organized predictions.

Ask me again after the next book's out. B)

Basically this. Even now, I don't like to predict events and outcome... I am better in analyzing of published material, than theorizing what might happen in future installments :)

Basically this. Even now, I don't like to predict events and outcome... I am better in analyzing of published material, than theorizing what might happen in future installments :)

Yes, but also this...

I thought Oberyn was going to win. :frown5:

I thought there was much more to Dareon's death than there ended up being. I remember my theories on the subject became quite extravagant as the wait for A Dance with Dragons wore on. And all for nothing, as it turned out.

I literally can't remember who Dareon is, so I guess it was all for nothing!

Edit: oh shit, was he the Night's Watch deserter in Braavos?

Double-edit: re: your theories: care to share?

I don't know if this counts exactly, but while I was reading the first book, I found this site because I was searching the internet to see if R+L=J was true. This was after the release of AFFC so I assumed it would have already been confirmed after 4 books. That was apparently a dumb prediction. I also got spoiled for Ned's death so I quickly jumped back off the site until I finished reading the books.

I literally can't remember who Dareon is, so I guess it was all for nothing!

Edit: oh shit, was he the Night's Watch deserter in Braavos?

Double-edit: re: your theories: care to share?

Yes, that's the one. I don't remember the details exactly, but I am sure I speculated at one point that he wasn't dead. In general, my theorizing revolved around the concept that his confrontation with Arya would be the trigger to bring her back to Westeros.

I don't have many friends that read the books, and I didn't frequent this site for a long time, so there have been many. For example I was at one point excited for Khal Dragos hoard to kick some Westerosi ass.

Archived