What would ruin it for you?

Okaythen

I was just reading yet another thead about Dawn being Lightbringer and I realized what would really ruin the series for me.

That would be ancient prophecies becoming true in a literal way. That is, for example, someone really and undoubtedly being AAR as opposed to various people being purported to be AAR on the basis of BELIEF in the prophecies. Someone actually being TPTWP as opposed to someone (or various someones) simply being believed to be TPTWP by those who believe in the legends , etc.

I'm not sure I'm being clear here, in short I want GRRM to be using ancient prophecies and legends as beliefs systems that can be used to bolster your claims (as Mel does with the fake Lightbringer) or simply interpreted in hindsight to have predicted whatever actually happens.

Anything else would be pretty disappointing.

There's a theory that AAR is the Nights Watch, which to my mind would be both consistent with the prophecy and a real deconstruction of the whole hero with the burning sword thing. I just hope the fat man avoids cliches, I hate reading books that don't surprise, so I'm expecting a few kicks in the balls from GRRM in the last two (or three) novels.

Honestly, it's either that or aSoIaF is just another third-rate fantasy novel about hidden princes fulfilling ancient prophecies and destroying the evil lord.

Yeah dude that's true, but often its the journey and not the destination where the real fun is to be had. The great thing about the fat man is how he builds his world, which is the real mark of a great fantasy writer. There's only so many stories to be told after all, and in terms of fantasy writing Tolkien is the alpha and omega, there's not many places you can go after the LoR based on Arthurian legend and Christian mysticism. So George will have his magic sword, but it won't be what we expect a 'sword' to be. There will be a hero who doesn't know his own gifts and inheritance, and will have to go through trauma to achieve understanding, but it won't in ways we expect. In other words he is writing to the Tolkien playbook but putting his own twist on it.

Does anyone else not care, as long as it's well written? To me, saying "if my most hated character gets what they want the whole thing's ruined!" is pretty childish.

Exactly. Just as childish as saying it's ruined if your favorite character doesn't get what they want. We all know my favorite character can't win if the story is to be told in the most believable way possible and I accept that.

A million times of this.

Jon Snow is resurrected by sacrificing Theon's, Asha's, Shireen's, or Lady Stoneheart's life.

Rhaegar and Lyanna are married. Elia is totally okay with that and she also gives the two her approval.

Tyrion is a secret Targ and a dragonrider.

What's wrong with Rhaegar marrying Lyanna? Why would that ruin the story for you?

Does anyone else not care, as long as it's well written? To me, saying "if my most hated character gets what they want the whole thing's ruined!" is pretty childish.

I think that's how most reasonable people feel, but it's fun to make predictions and voice complaints and fears while waiting for the next novel to come out. Let's face it, we all have characters who we pull for or against, but I think most ASOIAF fans just want to enjoy the story and find out how it ends.

After developing the character of Jon to be such an honorable man, if GRRM uses plot-holes to make him king, that would make me sad.

It would make me sad if Jon lives to the end of the series. And also if he dies from the stabbing.

I'd be sad if he doesn't die in a way that inspires the North to rally and defeat the Others.

Samwell Tarley will be the Dillios to Jon's Leonidas.... :P

Archived