NFL 2013 Week 2 Thread - Go back to college Chip Kelly!

Jaime L

Why can't teams just retread Norv Turner or Romeo Crennel one more time?

Anyway, I was at least browsing "don't kill myself" books after that first half but have gained a bit of optimism based on what signs of life RGIII showed in the second half. There were enough hints of the agile RGIII of old (particularly on one incompletion where he danced away from two defenders) to think he's on a similar road to recovery as AP. who himself wasn't Adrian MFing Peterson until October last year. He's not all the way back yet, maybe 90-95%, but I chalk up the lionshare of his first half awfulness to sheer rust. Hope so anyway. Next week will be more telling still.

Continue...

I can watch any NFL game. No matter how bad the teams are...it's FOOTBALL! But dammit, Chris Berman makes me want to turn the TV off. This guy is universally reviled yet ESPN continues to trot him out and let him announce games. Who the Hell does he have dirt on at Bristol?!?!

I can watch any NFL game. No matter how bad the teams are...it's FOOTBALL! But dammit, Chris Berman makes me want to turn the TV off. This guy is universally reviled yet ESPN continues to trot him out and let him announce games. Who the Hell does he have dirt on at Bristol?!?!

I was just having this conversation with a friend of mine. I know with two monday night games the b-team needs to be brought in, but Berman? C'mon!

On Kelly and the comparison to the WCO - it's a good comparison. And what happened? The NFL went up by a full 5 points/game while increasing yards per game passing by about 50. We went to more zone coverages and more exotic blitzes. Things changed significantly.

That's where I see the NFL going because that's where college has gone. The uptempo no huddle simply offers too many advantages, especially as defenses get more complex and more interesting. The no-huddle forces defenses to keep base personnel in for a while. The hurry up forces defenders to stay in position almost immediately. Both don't allow defenses to call in plays particularly fast. Having an offense that is then predicated on making simple reads (basically counting defenders in an area) increases pace and makes the QB's job easier. Instead of needing a player like Brady or Manning that can read defenses, you can have QBs with good physical talent but not the best ability to read defenses and they can still be competent.

It's a huge force multiplier. Kelly is just showing other teams how good it can be; others will emulate and surpass him, especially as they adapt the hurry up no huddle to more pro-style concepts and passing routes (something Kelly is fairly weak at, TBH).

Why do people dislike Berman? Is it because of his corny jokes?

I haven't seen much of him, but him yelling BACK BACK BACK BACK during the home run derby was funny the first time, not the next 766899179410 times.

And yeah he goes uhhhh errr, and there's usually a lot of dead air during his broadcasts

Why do people dislike Berman? Is it because of his corny jokes?

He's just arrogant and bombastic. Behind the scenes, he's a huge douche. There are a bunch of leaked videos of him berating the tv crew. He also has famously feuded with Tony Kornheiser over the "You're with me, leather" rumor. http://en.wikipedia....ith_me,_leather Berman blamed Kornheiser for the rumor taking off and refused to even acknowledge him or even say his name when Kornheiser was on MNF.

All that aside, he can be a good pre-game host. But I think he's awful at doing play by play. Yet ESPN lets him do baseball, football, even golf.

He's just arrogant and bombastic. Behind the scenes, he's a huge douche. There are a bunch of leaked videos of him berating the tv crew. He also has famously feuded with Tony Kornheiser over the "You're with me, leather" rumor. http://en.wikipedia....ith_me,_leather Berman blamed Kornheiser for the rumor taking off and refused to even acknowledge him or even say his name when Kornheiser was on MNF.

All that aside, he can be a good pre-game host. But I think he's awful at doing play by play. Yet ESPN lets him do baseball, football, even golf.

I just read the you're with me letter thing. I guess he really is an asshole.

Lost my Internet connect. It's back on now. Thank god I can listen to Berman again :bang: I thought I could do anything to watch a football game, but I have the gamepass on mute now. Can't stand him.

ETA: Rivers looks somewhat rejuvenated and Houston looks bad.

Not sure if San Diego looks good, or Houston looks bad. But Rivers definitely looks better so far for sure. Therefore I fully expect him to throw away the game in the second half, as per usual.

Rivers definitely looks better. The Chargers look good in general. They're playing ball control really well and Matthews is playing with energy. Rivers just needs to remember that it's Vincent Brown he has now, not Vincent Jackson

Archived