Of Corsets and Tiaras - LonCon 3

Fragile Bird

We can't Blame Pod for this. :P

It all started in the body image thread, Take Back the Mirror. Skunkbelly talked about t-shirts for girls, and kittens that sparkle. And Mandy said she'd wear a tiara everyday if it weren't likely she'd lose her job. And then talk about tiaras at Worldcon started. And Happened. And Chaldanya said

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

If you guys don't come to LonCon 2014 I will just cry. I want sparkly tiara based shenanigans!

N

So. Tiaras. But Regina came with a corset. And there were steampunk ladies all around.

Time to bump up from only tiaras (and tiaras there MUST be), to corsets and ruffles, skirts and bustles, and maybe steampunk or steampunkish type clothing. Unless someone has a better idea? Corsets and ruffles, or Westeros garb?

I vote for corsets and steampunk.

Well, obviously, a corset is not going to work for me, but sparkle definitely will. I'm thinking of wearing an Elvis costume, but can't wrap my mine around how that will fit into WorldCon. Elvis zombie, maybe?

Isn't Elvis always appropriate, though? :P

Obviously you need to cosplay as Elvyss of House Sunne, ES!

As for clothing, I'm all for it (and particularly special clothes for parties). I'd far rather see a theme or unifying item -- that can cross all kinds of styles and formality levels and budgets -- than anything more rigid than that. Everyone who wants to wear a corset, rock on with your bad selves. I might even dig mine out, if I can fit back into it. But people should never feel excluded at a BwB open party, and I'm afraid saying "full steampunk gear" might edge that direction.

Just IMO, as ever.

Well, obviously, a corset is not going to work for me, but sparkle definitely will. I'm thinking of wearing an Elvis costume, but can't wrap my mine around how that will fit into WorldCon. Elvis zombie, maybe?

Isn't Elvis always appropriate, though? :P

An Elvis jumpsuit is always appropriate.

Eefa, as always, hits the nail on the head.

I do not have a problem with people wanting to have some moral support when dressing up in unfamiliar garb. But codifying it into a theme that everyone has to follow pretty much misses the entire point of why the tiara was successful. The tiara was a hit because anyone with sufficient hair or Gorilla Glue could wear one. Captain America, an orc, Yagathai, a fan in sweatpants, a fan wearing no pants (Hi SuperGay!), could wear one within moments of walking into our party. Specifying that people follow an elaborate, themed costume is pretty much the opposite of that. It's exclusive, not inclusive. Which, you know, is fine. Nobody is going to stop you from doing that. But that's not the same as handing out tiaras.

I will definitely dress up, (if the planets align & I am able to make it to London). I have a steampunk outfit already & was actually going to start work on a new one. However, I was also planning some English themed costumes/outfits in honor of our hosts. And honestly, suitcase space will dictate whether I can bring my renaissance period clothing, since packing those long full skirts is a pain in my arse. Either way, I was planning to mix it up a little. I do encourage everyone to dress up in a costume at least one night though, even if we designate 1 particular night as the dress up night.

Good grief, not mandatory at all! And I guess I haven't been to enough cons to appreciate what saying steampunk meant to others. I did not say "full steampunk", I said bump up from tiaras. Really, the corset worn by Regina is the inspiration, and when I see a corset, I think steampunk - note, small 's' steampunk all along. :)

London just strikes me as the place where costumes would fit in, if a person wanted to wear something more than a BWB t-shirt and jeans. But definitely tiaras for all!

Before I start squeeing over fabrics and bling, I want to include a disclaimer of sorts:

Whenever a Worldcon is coming up, people start asking what to wear. My standard answer is to wear whatever makes you most comfortable, and that there is no geek uniform. Some wear geek t-shirts over jeans or shorts. Some wear dresses or even, on occasion, suits. Some wears corsets or, more rarely, full cosplay. Sometimes at our party someone donates tiaras, glitter, temporay tattoos or lightstick bling for everyone to play with, and it becomes even more awesome.

One of the awesome things about the BWB is that we include all types, so I think it's important to remind everyone to be themselves. Having said all that, if your inner Steampunk Air Pirate or Elvis Diva wants to come out to play, then ROCK ON!

I will dress up at least one night, maybe more (packing space might determine how many costumes I pack and how elaborate they are). Once the con is closer, it will be easier for those of us who want to dress up to plan in detail (for example, do we want to dress up for the BWB party, or for the masquarade if that is a different night--that sort of thing is too hard to hash out right now).

ETA: To anyone also on my Facebook, sorry if my "it's too hard to plan that far ahead in detail" attitude is confusing. The only reason I was already looking for ideas for a new skirt and accessories to go with my corset is so I can dress it up a bit for Halloween.

*throws glitter all over the thread in conclusion so as to end on a postive note*

but I guess it is best to spell that out.

Yep. We forget that there are 70,000 signed up for this board. More lurk. And most will have never gone to a convention. So when a thread like this comes up, it might give the impression that to be accepted at the BWB, you have to get your steampunk on or whatever. In fact, you'd be surprised how many times I've been PM'd with queries regarding if someone would be accepted in the BWB if they didn't cosplay/drink/stay up late/know all that much about genre fiction/would fail a ASOIAF trivia contest. As such, I find it best to be as explicit as possible when discussing such things. :)

I'm intrigued. What does fancy dress mean to you guys across the Pond?

Fancy is more like formal dress. (ok, it is likely a middle and lower class kind of name for formal wear)

Kind of funny as some of the other colloquial terms could double up as costume terms too...dressed up, dolled up.

Archived