Could Moqorro train Dany to be a Red Priestess?

total1402

I mean Quiathe has mentioned some connection to Dany and fire magic in ACOK when she says her presence has caused that magic to be strengthened. This is also one reason the House of the Undying wanted Dany to strengthen their own magic. Theres also the fact that she brought the dragons back and unless this was a divine act presumably she was the one who instigated this. If it just took blood sacrifice then how could no Targ do it before now and how come nobody can do blood sacrifice in general?

I suppose Marwyn could also teach Dany to use magic as well.

yes I see it so clearly now, Dany is pushing the frontiers of Red Magic; since GOT whether she wants to or not, everything she touches is magically destroyed or resurrected; Her baby fades into the shadow.... shadow baby! even more freaky "I am the blood of the dragon" and what's the color of blood? Red!

How is it a bizarre suggestion exactly?

There are two characters who both know magic and are trying to get to Dany with the intent of helping her.

Its a good chance for GRRM to explain what Quiathe meant and why the House of Undying were so interested in Dany. It would be bizarre if no answer is presented to those questions.

From bloodraven we can assume that magic is taught to some degree, as well as being an inherited trait and not everyone can use magic because that wouldn't make sense if it just took blood sacrifice.

The character has had prophetic visions, set up a ritual which gave her dragons from stone and we have had characters say that there is some link to her and magic. At the very least that suggests she has the ability to use magic.

I don't know if magic is something that anyone can learn, or whether you have to possess innate skill, and then be trained how to use it (most likely the latter). Dany performed an immense piece of black magic at the end of AGOT, but it remains to be seen if she could do so again.

Azhor Ahai apparently had magical powers, so if she is his reincarnation, presumably she would as well.

We're told that "all of their (Targaryens') works stank of sorcery." Presumably, they used sorcery to bind dragons to their service. Dany has prophetic dreams and visions, so the idea of her becoming a sorcerer is certainly not far-fetched.

However, I doubt if she'd be interested in becoming a Red Priestess, given that she'd then be in service to a temple.

I don't know if magic is something that anyone can learn, or whether you have to possess innate skill, and then be trained how to use it (most likely the latter). Dany performed an immense piece of black magic at the end of AGOT, but it remains to be seen if she could do so again.

Azhor Ahai apparently had magical powers, so if she is his reincarnation, presumably she would as well.

Where did the book say AA had magic powers? Aside from forging the sword.

We're told that "all of their (Targaryens') works stank of sorcery." Presumably, they used sorcery to bind dragons to their service. Dany has prophetic dreams and visions, so the idea of her becoming a sorcerer is certainly not far-fetched.

However, I doubt if she'd be interested in becoming a Red Priestess, given that she'd then be in service to a temple.

I think she'd be interested in the power as well as its relation to her destiny and I suspect because they think shes AA she wouldn't be tied to a temple. I am not sure what deal the rhollor worshippers have in store and if they will serve her. Probably yes, but they will be very difficult allies and cause a lot of damage to her rep. However she can probs get them to (like Mel) restrain themselves and work with people who don't worship Rhollor. Although atm Benerro simply seems to be exhorting people to kill her enemies or serve her in Volantis. That in itself implies they don't want to hide her away likes the crones of Vaes Dothrak.

Incidently, is Thoros meant to be representative of most red priests and their worshippers; whilst Melisandre isn't?

I don't know. Moqorro and Melisandre seem much more important figures in their hierarchy.

Yeah but they're like Bishop Brennon whilst Thoros is like Father Ted. :D

He seems to be what most of the regular rank and file priests would be like. Largely apathetic but current events making them more zealous.

If Dany does learn how to peform magic consistently, then I think it would be a two-edged sword for her. OTOH, it would strengthen her power, enormously. OTOH, if she was doing things like burning people alive to ensure a fair wind for her armies to reach Westeros, and creating shadowbabies, she could well be hated by the population.

Criminals and former slaver lords (same thing) being burned alive I could envisage as these people would be sentenced to death anyway. I imagine that it will strengthen her position in Essos enormously but weaken herself in Westeros; probably with the encouragement of Varys/Aegon and the Faith. Having the support of a large institution like the church is a huge help for any ruler and would even further build her popular support as well as legitimize her rule in Essos.

There is also the fact that Benerro said those who die in her service would be reborn. If what Thoros did can be repeated it would be easy to spin that as divine favor.

Criminals and former slaver lords (same thing) being burned alive I could envisage as these people would be sentenced to death anyway. I imagine that it will strengthen her position in Essos enormously but weaken herself in Westeros; probably with the encouragement of Varys/Aegon and the Faith. Having the support of a large institution like the church is a huge help for any ruler and would even further build her popular support as well as legitimize her rule in Essos.

There is also the fact that Benerro said those who die in her service would be reborn. If what Thoros did can be repeated it would be easy to spin that as divine favor.

I should have been more specific and said "hated by the population of Westeros."

I don't think she'd hesitate to feed R'hllor's fires with criminals and Great Masters, if it gave her magical power, on her return to Meereen.

If it just took blood sacrifice then how could no Targ do it before now and how come nobody can do blood sacrifice in general?

While the dragons were flourishing, there was no need to perform blood sacrifice. Possibly, the later Targaryens couldn't bring themselves to perform blood sacrifice on ethical grounds.

Plus, the Red Temple already supports her, thinking she's AAR. Moqorro coming to tell her how to be a priestess would be like someone coming over to teach Jesus how to be a priest.

Why would Dany want to become priest when she is already a queen?

While the dragons were flourishing, there was no need to perform blood sacrifice. Possibly, the later Targaryens couldn't bring themselves to perform blood sacrifice on ethical grounds.

Dragon fire hatches dragon eggs. After the dance that knowledge may have been lost, and after Aegon III, they no longer had dragons. Also Baelor the Befuddled had certain important books relating to dragons destroyed. And I doubt dragons performed blood sacrifice to hatch their eggs in the wild before the Valyrians tamed them.

Plus, the Red Temple already supports her, thinking she's AAR. Moqorro coming to tell her how to be a priestess would be like someone coming over to teach Jesus how to be a priest.

Why would Dany want to become priest when she is already a queen?

Baelor the Befuddled became a septon... But I doubt Dany will have any interest in following that example, and Tyrion will be happy to tell her what was wrong with Baelor.

Archived