Small questions v.10014

Angalin

Any idea if Maekar married a Targaryen princess or not?

IIRC egg just says his mother is dead, so we have no knowledge of her, maybe more in the WoIaF book

Are there any theories floating around about the potential use of the Braavosi fleet by, well anyone? It seems rather major just to leave out altogether and surely someone has cracked the pot that holds it?

Braavos have their own agenda, with the IB and FM, but I see them as a potential ally for Dany

Other than spraying off Rhaegar's armour, is there any link/likening/comparison/descriptives with rubies and blood that anyone knows of?

That thread is awesome so you should really thank Arya kiddin

Some Targaryen bastards are born in the Crownlands but they are not named Waters. Daemon, Aegon IV's bastard son, was allowed to take Blackfyre (he's also the founder of House Blackfyre). Shiera Seastar is another Targaryen bastard but she's not called Blackfyre or Waters (if she's born in KL); I don't think "Seastar" is a bastard name from Lys either (her mother was from Lys) but a name which means, Star of the Sea. Lollys Stokeworth's bastard son, Tyrion Tanner, was born in Stokeworth but the "Tanner" (not really a bastard surname) was a mocking byname bestowed to the child because Lollys conceived him after being raped behind a tanner's shop. I guess, bastards getting their names from the location where they are born is not always the rule.

Rather there are just a few expections to the rule.

Daemon Blackfyre certainly is a special case, viewed by some as an actual heir to the king, which lead his surname (after the sword of the King) became a real surname for his descendants. Which I'm sure you very well know.

And with Shiera there must be an interesting story too. Hopefully one we are some day allowed to read more about. And she was one of the "Great Bastards", anyway.

While Tyrion Tanner must be just a mocking name not likely to be used by it's owner.

The exception proves the rule, like they say.

No, we see marwyn at the end of feast, he is in his 50s so he could not be the one who wrote the book raeghar read 30 years ago...

Thanks but I wasn't referring to the book written by Marwyn as I've read the books as well ;p I was referring to the presumed "lost book" written by the Targaryen bastard maiden before the Doom of Valyria.

ETA, Sorry, I just re-read my previous post and I saw it was very much unclear: Marwyn wrote a book in which he says he found remnants (3 pages) of another book (containing the visions of the bastard Targaryen maiden) and Lord Rodick is reading the exerpt of this particular Targ book pages found by Marwyn.

I wonder whether this "lost" book containing the visions of a bastard Targ before the doom of Valyria could be the source of the prophecy Rhaegar (and others?) read. Mel is from Asshai, in the east and we know that Marwyn travelled to the east to study books and lifestyle (and more). Rhaegar and Aemon, also aware of the prophecy, were Targaryen men and both fervent readers. It would not be impossible they had access to Targ archives.

Thanks to Queen_Daenerys for pointing me the topics where it is mentionned :)

What are the major historical points that will be covered by the Dunk & Egg series? I know it has to end with Summerhall but the in between should have what? The Ninepenny Kings, Maekar's death, Egg gaining the crown, should be some of course but that is only three more books. Doesn't Martin want to write like 10 of these?

There is an SSM, Martin wants to cover the entire life of Ser Duncan all the way up to and including Summerhall. The Blackfyre Rebellions are all supposed to occur within their lifetime so they may be background material as well.

How many Dunk and Egg stories, and will they cover their lifetime?

The number of stories is not set. Nine, ten, twelve, whatver it takes. They will carry the tale forward to the end of Dunk´s life. More than that I am not willing to reveal. The third story, The Mystery Knight, is finished and will be published in the anthology WARRIORS, edited by me and Gardner Dozois.

I agree with this but doesn't SoS run up to 300AL, and I mean possibly a few days into it1?

Only I seem to remember Joffery's wedding being a herald to the new century or some such

Is the crown that the "Queen of Whores" wears Robb Stark's crown? And if it is how does Catelyn end up with it? I thought Jamie requested that it was left behind when Ryman Frey left2

1. Yes, I should have said roughly. It isn't a exacly 365. No book is that stricked w/ timeline.

2. It is believe that Ryman like many of the other Frey's has been killed and the crown taken from the Freys.

Dumb question but don't bastards get their name from location?

If that's the case assuming R+L=J, and since the ToJ was in dorne IIRC wouldn't Jon snow be Jon Sand?

GRRM has said many times (check the Citadel) that there isn't a set rules. While Snow, Sand, Stone, Storm, Waters, Rivers, Flowers, Hill, and Pyke are most common, others are sometimes used.

Thanks!It is Strange though if Lord Rickard had his Southern ambitions, Ashara might have been a good choice.

it is believe that Brandon was helping Ned w/ Ashara, in part because his father would approve such a match. Rickard already had Lyanna, and Brandon matched, but as a 2nd son, Ned would be harder to match. If Ned was able to come w/ a match such as a Dayne ( a noble, FM family from the South), then his father would appove it.

I need an accurate online map with Bayasabhad, Shamyriana, and Kayakayanaya on it. Couldnt find anything on google.

I actually own the damn mapbook but it's not at home.

Do you have the official app? It might be in there, as they updated it with maps from the map book.

Can someone point to something that will help me rationalize why bloodraven (who was so pro-Targ) is a tree?

Bloodraven's mother was a member of House Blackwood, who still worship the old gods. There is also the possibility that certain Targaryens (Aerys I, Bloodraven, Aegon V, Rhaegar, maybe even going back to Daenerys the Dreamer) were aware of the threat of the others and the Last Hero/Azor Ahai/Prince that was Promised prophecies. Otherwise it might be that Bloodraven learned of the threat of The Others during his tenure as Lord Commander of the Nights Watch. Either way I think he's hanging on to serve the greater purpose of helping bran defeat The Others.

Archived