Small questions v.10014

Angalin

"A half-seen shape flapped by overhead, pale leathery wings beating at the fog. The dwarf craned his head around to get a better look, but the thing was gone as suddenly as it had appeared."

Was a dragon flying over the Shy Maid at the Sorrows?

Edmure Tully has a child on the way, concieved on his Red wedding night, he would be Heir to house Tulley, which at the moment has no lands anyway, they have been given to the Freys, so he would not be Heir to much anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have the books on me at the moment) but didn't Jaime promise Edmure that if his wife births a son that he would give the child a smaller land to hold as a lesser lord?

Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have the books on me at the moment) but didn't Jaime promise Edmure that if his wife births a son that he would give the child a smaller land to hold as a lesser lord?

Just checked - it's true. Jaime suggests Edmure that his child, if it happens to be a son, can serve as page to Lannisters and later be given some small portion of land to rule.

"A half-seen shape flapped by overhead, pale leathery wings beating at the fog. The dwarf craned his head around to get a better look, but the thing was gone as suddenly as it had appeared."

Was a dragon flying over the Shy Maid at the Sorrows?

Probably just a bat, I mean, three dragons are alive in the world and they are months away...

Edmure Tully has a child on the way, concieved on his Red wedding night, he would be Heir to house Tulley, which at the moment has no lands anyway, they have been given to the Freys, so he would not be Heir to much anyway.

Yes, but as the child is not born yet... Also as aderyn said he will be given a castle...

Maester Aemon Targaryen speaking to Jon in chapter 60 of A Game of Thrones:

"Three times the gods saw fit to test my vows. Once when I was a boy, once in the fullness of my manhood, and once when I had grown old."

1. When he was old he means during Robert's Rebellion.

2. Fullness of Manhood- When he could have taken the throne before his brother Aegon?

3. As a Boy- No idea?

Any help clearing up numbers 2 and 3?

Probably just a bat, I mean, three dragons are alive in the world and they are months away...

Yes, but as the child is not born yet... Also as aderyn said he will be given a castle...

thinking about it, If the child was conceived at the red wedding, by the time the next book starts, it will be at least a couple of months old. Arya spent at least a month wandering the Riverlands with the hound after the red wedding, then had to get to Braavos, spend some time with the faceless men as cat of the canals, another few months there, and then a year as blind beth as well.

"Three times the gods saw fit to test my vows. Once when I was a boy, once in the fullness of my manhood, and once when I had grown old."

2. Fullness of Manhood- When he could have taken the throne before his brother Aegon?

3. As a Boy- No idea?

I asked this not too long ago. Don't know for sure, but you might wanna read the discussion.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/95324-small-questions-v-10012/page__st__280#entry4891764

3. As a Boy- No idea?

I don't think that by "test his vows" necessarily means times he could have been King, but rather that when he became a Maester he is supposed to set aside his House and that's the "testing of his vows". He was offered a position at King's Landing, and he refuses because he thought it would be an insult to the Grand Maester at the time. Then he was offered thecrown, but declined because of his vows, and Aegon became King. Then Robert's Rebellion happened and he chose to stay at the Wall instead of defending his great nephew or using his influence at the Wall in a way that would be favorable to the Targaryens. At least that's my interpretation of the three times the gods tested him.

3. As a Boy- No idea?

Whenever these come up we never seem to be able to agree on what they could be, but maybe they will surface in the D&E stories.

Regarding Benjen.

I think there is NO rule against members visiting home if they have leave etc.

However Mormant commented that it was best not for the YOUNG ones to go home, since they had not yet bonded with the NW and missed home too much.

JUST as in the Catholic church today, Nuns and priests travel home for weddings and funerals, the NW members would have been given leave. Of course I suspect it helps if you are of a Noble family. The ordinary guys would get no such leave.

However the whole Moletown thing indicates quite a bit of freedom

Regarding Benjen.

However Mormant commented that it was best not for the YOUNG ones to go home, since they had not yet bonded with the NW and missed home too much.

JUST as in the Catholic church today, Nuns and priests travel home for weddings and funerals, the NW members would have been given leave. Of course I suspect it helps if you are of a Noble family. The ordinary guys would get no such leave.

While I agree, I also think the vast distances make it impractical for non-northern members. Maybe if he hadn't died Waymar might have eventually been allowed to travel to the Vale if he promised to return with men or supplies. In general however I don't think someone from the south would be allowed to take months off to visit home.

There is definitely a point regarding Edmure's child (and any Robb child)

By the time we reach the end of DwD the children MUST be born - probably

Arya took at least 6 weeks to get to Braavos and one assumes spent at least 4-5 months as Cat of the canal. Another 3 months at least as Blind Beth and another as the ugly girl, there can be little doubt that any babies conceived before the Red Wedding are well and truly born.

Mind you Sam met Arya as Cat of the Canals and he has only JUST reached Old Town, so maybe the Blind Beth period was just a month or so.

If this were the case then when the next book starts then any babies are still not borne - one month or so to go.

Remember that Sansa is still not fourteen in Fiest so the time line is NOT long ie less than three years from Book one.

Arya was around about 10 in SoS (at the Red Wedding). Robb was just 16 so about a year and a half has passed since Bran 1.

All this seems to suggest that at the opening of WoW about 2.5 years have passed. There are MNT children in the story and ages are important.

We have:

Jon 17 perhaps

Sansa just 14

Arya just 11/12

Bran 10

Rickon 7

Tommen 10

Mycella 11

Sam 18

Gilly and Dalla's babies about 1

Edrik Dayne - he was 12 when we met him, about a year in to the story so he is about 13/14

Podrick Pyne - he was 10 about 6 months into the story so I guess he is 12/13 now

Shireen -perhaps 13

Gendry was 14 or so I think at the beginning so he may be 16/17. He will be a very BIG boy by now- like his dad. "Muscled like a maiden's prayer"

thinking about it, If the child was conceived at the red wedding, by the time the next book starts, it will be at least a couple of months old. Arya spent at least a month wandering the Riverlands with the hound after the red wedding, then had to get to Braavos, spend some time with the faceless men as cat of the canals, another few months there, and then a year as blind beth as well.

Just ask Lollys how long a woman has to carry a child. Makes Ossifer's heir easier to accept.

Regarding Benjen.

And don't forget there is a special re lationship between WF and CB.

Archived