Small questions v.10014

Angalin

I don't even remember that, you remember anything about the context? Even what book?

I just found it. It was alittle different than i described. aSoS.

Up here in her garden Dany sometimes felt like a god, living atop the highest mountain in the world.

Do all gods feel so lonely? Some must, surely. Missandei had told her of the Lord of Harmony, worshiped by the Peaceful People of Naath; he was the only true god, her little scribe said, the god who always was and always would be, who made the moon and stars and earth, and all the creatures that dwelt upon them. Poor Lord of Harmony. Dany pitied him. It must be terrible to be alone for all time, attended by hordes of butterfly women you could make or unmake at a word. Westeros had seven gods at least, though Viserys had told her that some septons, said the seven were only aspects of a single god, seven facets of a single crystal. That was just confusing. The red priests believed in two gods, she had heard, but two who were eternally at war. Dany liked that even less. She would not want to be eternally at war.

Dumb question but..

Was Prince Duncan the Small a dwarf? I haven't read Dunk & Egg.

No, he was named after the knight that Aegon V squired for, Ser Duncan the Tall. I would think that he was given the name at birth, assuming he would never be as big as duncan the tall (who was abnormally large)

ETA wow, didnt realize that was the last post on the page, when i refreshed it was the last post o.o

I think that during the Targaryen reign, Dragonstone was sworn only to the crown since the crown Prince was given Dragonstone as his seat.

Yeah thats what I figured. I was wondering if since then Stannis had a liege lord other than Robert. I don't think so.

Which region/lord paramount is Dragonstone sworn to? Is it part of the Crownlands and thus only loyal to the crown?

I think that during the Targaryen reign, Dragonstone was sworn only to the crown since the crown Prince was given Dragonstone as his seat.

I think it's only sworn to the Crown still because it's in the crownlands, correct? Off Blackwater Bay. Crownlands are direct to King's Landing without a higher Lord for the region IIRC, like Dukensdale and Rosby. Unless Dragonstone is the seat of Lord Paramount...But I don't think this is a case because Stannis is talking about how angry he was that Robert gave the fertile lands and wealth at Storm's End and gave it to Renly and gave him Dragonstone instead.

I think it's only sworn to the Crown still because it's in the crownlands, correct? Off Blackwater Bay. Crownlands are direct to King's Landing without a higher Lord for the region IIRC, like Dukensdale and Rosby. Unless Dragonstone is the seat of Lord Paramount...But I don't think this is a case because Stannis is talking about how angry he was that Robert gave the fertile lands and wealth at Storm's End and gave it to Renly and gave him Dragonstone instead.

I think you're right. Dragonstone is part of the Crownlands and thus falls under the jurisdiction of the King.

Unless Dragonstone is the seat of Lord Paramount...But I don't think this is a case because Stannis is talking about how angry he was that Robert gave the fertile lands and wealth at Storm's End and gave it to Renly and gave him Dragonstone instead.

That was the alternative I considered, but I think it's far to small an area (with no name that I'm aware of) and I don't think Stannis is ever referred to as "Lord of the Isles of the Narrow Sea" or anything. I'm just wondering if the Lannisters or whoever took it what would they do with it?

That was the alternative I considered, but I think it's far to small an area (with no name that I'm aware of) and I don't think Stannis is ever referred to as "Lord of the Isles of the Narrow Sea" or anything. I'm just wondering if the Lannisters or whoever took it what would they do with it?

I think it was more the idea of removing Stannis' last foothold in the South. That being said, it also gives them more control over the trade in the Narrow Sea and allows them some insight into the movements of ships from, say, Whiteharbour and Eastwatch. I think the main reason was removing his [stannis'] last toehold though.

Not sure about Robert, but Ned wouldn't have been knighted, as I think you have to be 'anointed with the seven oils by a septon', or something to that effect. And Ned's very much an old gods dude.

Probably Bobert,Ned wasn't knighted.

I forgot that knighthood means you're anointed with oils from the 7, thanks.

For further clarification, is it a given that most of the Southron lords are knights before becoming lords? I know Lords Tywin, Randyll, and King Stannis were all great generals, so should I assume they were knights as well?

I think it was more the idea of removing Stannis' last foothold in the South. That being said, it also gives them more control over the trade in the Narrow Sea and allows them some insight into the movements of ships from, say, Whiteharbour and Eastwatch. I think the main reason was removing his [stannis'] last toehold though.

Here's an SSM that might be helpful: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/The_Baratheon_Brothers/

I forgot that knighthood means you're anointed with oils from the 7, thanks.

For further clarification, is it a given that most of the Southron lords are knights before becoming lords? I know Lords Tywin, Randyll, and King Stannis were all great generals, so should I assume they were knights as well?

Most are anointed with the oils, but I don't think all of them are. Later on in the books it's pointed out that any knight can make a knight. There are some examples of northern knights. Most southern lords were knighted in their youth, but not all. Littlefinger comes to mind. I'm not sure how many Ironmen are knighted either.

Archived