Was Rhaegar feminine?

Nami

About the kidnapping?

yes, it was a mistake, but even intelligent people commit mistakes, especially if love is involved

no a 20 something a father and a potentional leader can't do mistakes like eloping (or kidnaping) a teen and disappeared for a year with her while a war was on for his *mistake* . That is stupidity not mistake.

Well, those books helped him little as his lower intestines floated down the Trident, so I tend to disagree.

Bob's warhammer didn't help much when dealing with an annoyed pig. Sometimes you just don't have the tools you need.

This made me laugh out loud. Thanks for posting.

I really couldn't call Rhaegar effeminate. For instance, Rhaegar had no apparent fear of combat, in fact expecting to beat Robert at the Trident. There's no report he shrank in fear from this hammer-wielding giant who wanted to kill him. He is also called a "puissant warrior" by Selmy and we know he knocked so distinguished a knight as Ser Arthur Dayne on his arse in the dirt -- twice in two different tourneys.

Even at a conversational level, Jaime recalls his "iron tones."

On the other hand, he doesn't seem to have been very interested in women, Lyanna aside. I recall no story, anecdote, rumor, hint... nothing whatever to suggest that he was sexually active with women before his "dutiful" marriage to Elia.

This is peculiar given the infinite opportunities Rhaegar would have had to get laid before he married, and the fact that most men are cheerfully prepared in their teens to take such opportunities as come their way, or create them if possible.

Well yeah as far as pursuit of women, he shows no apparent interest until Lyanna.

But I kinda put Rhaegar in the rockstar category. He doesn't have to pursue women, they pursue him. He is aloof and complicated, he plays songs that bring tears to women's eyes. Even in Westeros, that has got to be a recipe for the groupie syndrome. Throw in otherworldly male beauty ala young Elvis, Brad Pitt, insert name here. He doesn't take advantage of women that throw themselves at him, that doesn't make him effeminate. Picky would be my choice of words.

So I bumped into some people arguing that Rhaegar is feminine so he should be played by a feminine actor or whatever

and I'm confused, was it ever said that Rhaegar was feminine in the books? I don't really remember

I was thinking he was quite manly because he put up a fight against Robert so

maybe I was wrong

George's description of Valyrian looks tend to feature the idea of very fine features, for the most part, and a sort of extraordinary beauty. But male beauty in this day and age is often associated with androgyous or effeminate qualities.

Now not to trample on anyone's ideas but..... it is implied that Rhaegar beat Robert, but robert actually wasnt done fighting.... There is a lot of evidence with this in Eddards chapters in the first book

On the other hand

While George hates using tropes.... there is two tropes George has realized has always worked and is amazing no matter what. (Particularly alway used in Japanese literature no matter what) That is the bishonen boy and the white haired pretty boy. Both are used to the most extensive sense especially in the 4th and 5th book. DEAR GOD... ITS DARKSTAR AND HE HAS FUCKIN SILVER BLONDE HAIR WITH A stream OF BLACK HAIR. When will he do something awful?

Yes, Rhaegar defineltly had the "prettier than all women status" but thats what people really want in a king. if you dont believe me- just google "griffith berserk" there you will see reincarnated Rhaegar....

But Daemon Blackfyre vr. Daeron the good. you can seee what most people stuggled with. A family member who is wronged, has taken bullshit, fights his own fights, and is essentually eye candy for both men and women, compared to the Dareron the good who looks awfully like

https://www.google.com/search?q=hapsburg+jaw&safe=off&client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=jqQyUuzTGcaOqgGJ2IH4Aw&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672&dpr=1#biv=i%7C2%3Bd%7Cq0JNR-OONZcxHM%3A

Charles the second of the hapsburgs

Just to say something... Having silver blonde hair, pefect features, and purple eyes will always make you look like a woman. NOt in the effimate sense, but as in as a male, you are prettier than her....

ON lyannna.... Doesnt anyone accuse Rhaegar for essentually wanting to screw Kirsten Stewart? Seriously like he could just get 10 concubines from lys and everything is solved.

Now not to trample on anyone's ideas but..... it is implied that Rhaegar beat Robert, but robert actually wasnt done fighting.... There is a lot of evidence with this in Eddards chapters in the first book

Evidence please? Because I never got this impression, and this is the first time I've ever heard it mentioned.

Rhaegar wounded Robert definitely, but there's no impression (that I've seen) Robert somehow lost the fight then unsporting killed him.

Should look similar to HBO Daario Naharis with Long Beautiful Silver hair.

If Rhaegar was beautiful, he was more complete man-like than even Robert Baratheon.

Like Krishna, in Mahabharat, who danced with girls, played flute, and yet was also an archer and a warrior. Krishna in paintings is depicted BOTH; Soft and Strong. And so was Rhaegar both; SOFT and STRONG :-)

rhaegar was a coward who didn't even enter a war he started until the last battle.

Well to be fair we don't know how much information Rhaegar had, if he was shut up at the ToJ and no one knew he was there, he might not have realised that a war had broken out. It was very likely though.

Bob's warhammer didn't help much when dealing with an annoyed pig. Sometimes you just don't have the tools you need.

He killed the thing,drunk as hell,with his guts spilling out...

What??

It wasn't a tournament and Rhaegar was there to kill Bob and Bob there to kill Rhaegar,Bob won.You don't crush someones chest in without them noticing it.

What??

It wasn't a tournament and Rhaegar was there to kill Bob and Bob there to kill Rhaegar,Bob won.You don't crush someones chest in without them noticing it.

True. I'm perplexed at the lengths some people will go to, to idealize Rhaegar and put down Robert. Plenty of things to put down Robert for that are actually in the text without inventing anything new.

ON lyannna.... Doesnt anyone accuse Rhaegar for essentually wanting to screw Kristen Stewart? Seriously like he could just get 10 concubines from lys and everything is solved.

I am not entirely sure what you are getting at here... I pictured Lyanna Stark more like Katie McGrath than KStew but w/e floats your boat. As to the possibility of "concubines," I don't think Rhaegar was interested in that because well... he wasn't a douchebag. Granted, he made a lot of monumental blunders and risked his children and wife's life for love, showing a surprising degree of selfishness for someone who purportedly is only interested in saving the world (we shall see how that plays out).

Sex and lust conquests do not seem to be a motivation of his, which I am sure makes him less "masculine." But, as I said before, his goal is not to be masculine or feminine, it's beyond that. I think that his character and the way in which he performs his identity is a little bit more complex than this imaginary manly man-girly man dichotomy.

Archived