Better Call Saul -- Breaking Bad spin-off confirmed

Francis Buck

Do we even really know that Hamlin is that bad a guy? Or does just being an adversary to our protagonist make him one? If anyone is pulling any shenanigans to screw over the other fella, it's Jimmy/Saul.

He was certainly a dick to screw Kim over because of the Kettlemans. She got them a great deal, it's not her fault they didn't want to take it.

I'd say that yes, Hamlin has exhibited 'evil' behavior. Not illegal, but immoral. I'd direct you to the first episode where Jimmy runs down Hamlin, basically saying that while Chuck toiled and worked, Hamlin took all the credit. What is most telling is that when this happens, Chuck basically handwaves instead of defending his former partner. I will say this, oddly Hamlin is deferential to Jimmy. I don't know how much of that is because he's afraid that Jimmy will force his brother to cash out.

In the last episode one can see his character in the way he turns his back on Kim and basically grovels to the Kettleman's.

Is Hamlin even able to cash out Chuck if Chuck doesn't want to leave the firm? Jimmy thinks that he knows best, but it isn't his decision unless Chuck is committed, and while Hamlin might prefer or enjoy the current scenario it's not as if he can force Chuck out anyway. So it's not so much withholding the money as it is enjoying the inability to give it away. Unless my understanding is wrong. Punishing Kim was the least defensible thing he's done given he had no more success than her, and they were clearly bonkers anyway, imo.

Seeing Jimmy break down after burning down his chance to get Kim working with him was so sad. Good guy Saul.

He was certainly a dick to screw Kim over because of the Kettlemans. She got them a great deal, it's not her fault they didn't want to take it.

While I am absolutely sure that the show wants us to sympathize with both Kim and Jimmy by developing them both into decent human beings with understandable struggles, I'm sure the simplest reason he demoted her is because he felt that she was incapable and not just to be arbitrarily mean.

What is most telling is that when this happens, Chuck basically handwaves instead of defending his former partner.

Well. I assumed the handwave was the "eh, we've had these discussions a million times before". These seem like pretty typical interactions with your sibling, wife, friend, whatever. They unload and say "guy x at work got credit but I did so much hard work". But it seems fairly venial. Consider Chuck's standing. I think he was doing fine.

I think Hamelin is genuinely a dickhead, I think he does not want to pay to buyout Chuck's share so he feeds his delusions about getting better. Plus he is the one who told Chuck that Jimmy should not use his last name. I do think punishing Kim was more about her losing a client than him being a dick, but Kim appears to acknowledge that Hamelin is an asshole, though she realizes the sticking with the company is best for her career. Part of it may just be the the actor though, he has a real smug doucheface and I think everytime I have seen him he has played a scumbag.

What was up with Jimmy bringing the files over to Chuck's?

Jimmy thinks having some lawyer work to do will help Chuck on his road to recovery by feeling useful.

Selfishly Jimmy also probably is feeling swamped with growing his practice and could use the extra help.

Larry,

I think the files were Jimmy's attempt to get A) Get Chuck active and interested in law again. B) Show Chuck that Jimmy is operating a legit law practice. It's sweet that Jimmy is so invested in his brother. If you notice when Jimmy gets upset or frustrated, it really isn't at Chuck. I think something Jimmy did caused/led to Chuck's mental break. It seems when Jimmy morally backslides, Chuck has an episode.

Human Abstract,

I didn't read it that way, especially when Chuck specifically addressed each of Jimmy's other complaints. However, that is just one small sign post compared to the multitude of billboards (pardon the callback) that scream Hamlin is a dick.

Archived