Bad pop-ups

Gun Street Girl

At first I thought I was accendently pressing the pop-up at the side (between the "CONNECT WITH US" and the "NOTABLE RELEASES" things) because sometimes it didn't load properly. But then I then realised it wasn't that when I made sure not to click it.

That's what I thought at first too, when it was just James Franco stuff. Then when the other site started showing up, I knew that couldn't be it.

I'm getting these too, just for Comedy Central's Key & Peele. Only seen it on my iPad in Safari so far, and very intermittently. Easily closeable but very intrusive and annoying. I've been assuming the ad network you're using is serving them. It isn't a new window, it's a popover ad, at least for me. Takes up the whole screen until closed.

I have been getting the same Iphone pop up add that Wert showed a pic off.

It happens about once or twice a day on both my works PC (explorere) and my home PC (firefox)

Its been happeinging for about a week and a half although I've been pop-up free for the last 2 days.

I have done scans on both PC's for malware and only found cookies. and its only on this site but seems to be any thread.

This is the best I've been able to find on the issue so far: a malicious tracking cookie, possibly injected onto people's computers when we briefly flirted with using a different ad network. We have removed that network, but the tracking cookie may remain. Follow the instructions for your device, and lets see if it helps sort it out.

Done. Will monitor.

Note that the iOS instructions will not erase any apps or data (assuming you don't choose that option), but you will have to go through the initial setup again and it will revert a LOT of settings to default, including wallpaper and lock code/auto lock timer, and it will clear all your cookies, so you will have to log into websites (like this one) again.

EDIT: Huh. I had to log in here again, but not at two other forums.

Still waiting to hear from our advertiser, Lijit. But searching the web suggests that this is an issue on quite a lot of websites, and the causes are quite debated right now. Cannot find anything definitive as to a cause.

Archived