Bad pop-ups

Gun Street Girl

I wonder if this was related to the site regularly freezing up on me over the last few days (had to close the tab and reload about every fourth or fifth click as the page would just stop loading, until I switched to the mobile skin for a while). It's not doing it any more, but the timing suggests that it was likely a connected issue.

Well, maybe dropping that other network helped. That said, bear in mind that it is an issue on many sites across the web, and may be rather independent of which site you are on.

If you haven't done so, try the steps suggested in the page I linked earlier.

It'd be helpful to know if you've tried the steps linked on the previous page or not.

In my case no, as I'm not using a mobile device. I've flushed out the Firefox cache and browsing history and it hasn't happened since.

Like Wert I am not using a Mobile device.

I am using a Windows 7 Laptop and using Firefox. I have cleared my Cache and browsing history. I also ran another spyware search.

It had stopped for a few days, but the Iphone 5 add came back. I have only seen the Iphone 5 popup add.

Hope to be hearing from our advertiser rep in a day or two (can't blame them, they're on their honeymoon presently), and see if we can get to the bottom of it.

Anyone have a good screenshot of the ad and a copy of the link for it?

Hey, I just read this thread and this problem you seem to be having coincides with something that started popping up about a week to 10 days ago. There was something about java wanting to run or download a script from another site and in order to do that it wanted me to change my settings. I just ignored it, but the next time it happens I will take a note of the website and post it here.

I got one a couple days ago just on my laptop. Closed it too fast to see what it was, but it said "lucky win" or some such. Not sure if it was necessarily this site but thought I'd mention it.

EDIT: And got it again.

Interesting. ADvertising network removed some campaigns they were concerned were suspect. I wonder if that explains the fall. Will give it a couple more days of reports before I contact them once more.

It would be really helpful if someone did 'Inspect Element' on the pop up and basically provided me all the info you can provide (email to [email protected]), including whatever link it points to. I can then send that on to them and see if it helps any.

I have the Pop up right now. (by clicking this thread)

Its on my Works PC Internet explorer.

What exaclty do you want me to do? ... How do I Inspect element?

I'll edit in a screen shot

http://i.imgur.com/coae0QZ.png

edit 2. It just happened again after I refeshed the page

I'm getting pop ups constantly now. It started a week or so ago, but the frequency has increased in the past two days. I'm on an iPad going through Safari. My pop ups are all tv shows like South Park and Homeland.

Unfortunately I don't know how to get a screenshot on the iPad.

This is the best I've been able to find on the issue so far: a malicious tracking cookie, possibly injected onto people's computers when we briefly flirted with using a different ad network. We have removed that network, but the tracking cookie may remain. Follow the instructions for your device, and lets see if it helps sort it out.

FYI, I tried this twice and also cleared my history and cookies. At first I thought it worked because I was able to visit multiple threads without a pop up, but I just got one. Thanks for investigating this issue.

I'm getting pop ups constantly now. It started a week or so ago, but the frequency has increased in the past two days. I'm on an iPad going through Safari. My pop ups are all tv shows like South Park and Homeland.

Unfortunately I don't know how to get a screenshot on the iPad.

Yup. I use an Ipad and have been getting the same stuff that started like a week ago, also. South Park, Home Depot etc.

ran, you have a malefactor dicking with the site. i came here to report that my home machine's mcafee caught a trojan and my work machine's AVG caught a "black hole" something or other on your site, but when i came to whine about them, i got "java wants to update your machine!!!" notice on this thread. how convenient!

Archived