Offical Court of Law v 16: Tyrion Lannister

SeanF

Welcome to the 16th installment of the “Official Court of Law” for this board. In this thread we will debate and pass judgement on character crimes. As judges we bear a burden of upholding the integrity of our court, so being impartial is imperative. Keep all arguments in a legal context that suit the standards of this court. All posters are welcome to make their case, at the end of your argument pass your judgement and sentence!!!

The rules: Every poster has one vote (per charge) of guilt or innocence.

**For a guilty verdict, your options are:

Send them to the Wall. (same as a life prison sentence)

Poena Cullei (in respect of the charge of Parricide only. Judges are not required to pass such a sentence, but may do so if they deem it appropriate. )**

Death by sword. (Clean and quick)

Death by hanging (Not so clean and quick).

Monetary fine

Exile

Stripped of land/title.

Prison sentence

Community Service

Only the nominated character will be discussed, however, you can indict characters you also find culpable, as part of your ruling, and they can be added to the docket.

**Votes can be changed before they are counted, but do so in your original post.

Posters can just cast a vote, which is your right, but try to state a case as well. Your opinion actually matters and it may serve to change the vote of another judge.

*Do not take it personally if your favourite character is being torn to pieces. Everyone is fair game.

****If votes of 'not guilty' and 'dismissed' taken together comprise over 50% of the total votes cast, the defendant is to be found 'not guilty' or the charge is to be 'dismissed', with the option that gained the most votes between the two representing the final verdict.****

NB. Following representations by numerous distinguished jurists, Death by flaying or burning alive will no longer be available as a sentence. However, Death by hanging is now an option, as is community service (the judge should state what form of community service he/she considers appropriate).

**If you find the character innocent, simply state innocent or Not Guilty after your argument.

As for as evidence that can be submitted, posters can submit any argument they deem relevant. However we cannot use any pardons (save in one instance) or prior convictions as evidence in the matter. Our court will not recognize the judgement of any other court or ruling body. In the event that a defendant is charged with an offence against another character, judges are entitled (but not obliged) to find that defendant Not Guilty, if the latter has pardoned or forgiven them.

**You can also vote for charges to be dismissed (majority rule). Any vote to dismiss charges will be treated as an acquittal, and be added to any verdicts of Not Guilty/Innocent.

**At the end of the week the vote will be counted and the final sentence carried out. Majority rules. In the event that no punishment commands a majority, then the Court will reach a consensus between the various options put forward.

The charges are outlined in the next post

** For those who are unfamiliar with this, the Defendant is flogged repeatedly in front of a large crowd. He is then required to crawl before the crowd into a large sack. Into this sack are placed, a cockerel, a dog, and an adder, representing lust, shamelessness and ingratitude, respectively. The sack is then sewn shut, and thrown into the Sea.

Treason

1. The Defendant is charged with one count of treason:-

The Defendant served as acting Hand of the King, and commanded the defence of King’s Landing, on behalf of the baseborn usurper Joffrey Hill, styling himself King Joffrey Baratheon.

Parricide

2. The Defendant is charged with one count of Parricide

The Defendant murdered his father, Lord Tywin Lannister;

Murder

3. The Defendant is charged with five counts of murder:

3.1 Allar Deem, an officer of the City Guard who was assassinated on his instructions;

3.2 Nurse, a slave overseer at Meereen, who was poisoned by the Defendant;

3.3 Shae, a whore, who was strangled by the Defendant;

3.4 Symon, styling himself “Silvertongue”, who was assassinated on his instructions.

3.5 The “Antler Men”, alleged supported of Stannis Baratheon, who the Defendant arrested and then handed to the said Joffrey Hill for torture and execution without trial.

Incitement to Commit Murder

4.. The Defendant armed the tribes living in the Mountains of the Moon, and incited them to attack the Smallfolk of the Vale.

Breach of Health and Safety Regulations

5. The Defendant arranged for the said Symon “Silvertongue” to be served as food to the Smallfolk of King’s Landing, under the guise of “Pots O’Brown.”

I find the defendant guilty of all charges brought against him and sentence him to death by hanging.

I agree.

Shouldn't he also be charged with molesting and forcibly marrying Sansa? What about the rape of the whore in Selhorys? Allowing Mountain Clans to murder people? Burning down homes and businesses in King's Landing?

Guilty on all counts, save for treason. The bastard Joffery was generally accepted as the trueborn son of King Robert Baratheon. During his tenure as acting Hand of the King there was no way that Tyrion could have conclusively proven that he, Joffery, was illegitimate.

Setence: Death by sword

I agree.

Shouldn't he also be charged with molesting and forcibly marrying Sansa? What about the rape of the whore in Selhorys? Allowing Mountain Clans to murder people? Burning down homes and businesses in King's Landing?

Well, I think the charges that have already been listed are serious enough.

About parricide, here in my country we have a cause of non jail in case you commit your crime in "conmocion violenta" : if you find your woman banging an other guy and you commit mourder in rage of emotions you would be guilty of the crime but wont go to jail.

Its damn hard to say this in english!

About parricide, here in my country we have a cause of non jail in case you commit your crime in "conmocion violenta" : if you find your woman banging an other guy and you commit mourder in rage of emotions you would be guilty of the crime but wont go to jail.

Wouldn't that still be considered First Degree Manslaughter(i.e without premeditation)? where I live the punishment is 14 years in prison for that.

(You might want to edit it to "patricide")

Preface on the subject of Joffrey Baratheon I's legality (and that of his appointments): This juror has heard various statements made by Jaime and Cersei Lannister, among others, and concluded that Joffrey Baratheon I was not the trueborn son of Robert Baratheon I, thus making his tenure as king illegal, and the rightful heir in the reigning Baratheon dynasty is thus Stannis Baratheon. That said, this juror would argue that this not bear impact on the legality on the appointments Joffrey I made, nor does this render any official action made by his appointments illegal by default.

On the charges against Tyrion Lannister, this juror finds:

1. Treason: Guilty. The defendant has shown himself to have been aware of Joffrey I's true paternity, yet still served against the lawful king.

2. Patricide: Guilty.

3. Murder. Five counts:

3.1: Not Guilty. As argued in the preface, the defendant's tenure as Hand of the King was not illegal. Allar Deem had exhibited gross misconduct in the line of duty, and the defendant was thus in his right to exact punishment.

3.2: Guilty. While this juror notes that the victim was spared a painful death to the bloody flux as the result of the defendant's actions, the victim did not expressly request this "mercy".

3.3: Guilty.

3.4: Guilty.

3.5: Guilty. The victims were condemned for treason, which this juror finds unlawful.

4. Incitement to Commit Murder: Not Guilty. The defendant never asked this of the clansmen, nor was the subject broached.

5. Breach of Health and Safety Regulation: Guilty. Though this juror notes that pestilent animals such as pigeons and rats have been known to be appear in these pot shops.

Verdict: On the charges against Tyrion Lannister, this juror finds him guilty of Treason, Patricide, Four Counts of Murder and Breach of Health and Safety Regulation. The defendant will be sentenced to death by sword, but may opt to take the black if he so wishes.

This seems like a lot of fun and I really want to play but please let me know if I'm not doing it right.

Innocent of Treason

Guilty of Parricide

Guilty of the murder of Shae and Nurse

Innocent in the murder of Symon, Antler Men, Allar Deem- As King's Hand he speaks with the king's voice, and the King is Law.

Innocent of inciting the Vale Clans- The promise he made them was that they would have the Vale, I believe. I don't remember him mentioning the smallfolk.

Innocent of Health Violations- If thoroughly cooked I don't see harm

Am I not playing right?

Oh yeah, and the sentence would be life on the Wall.

This seems like a lot of fun and I really want to play but please let me know if I'm not doing it right.

Innocent of Treason

Guilty of Parricide

Guilty of the murder of Shae and Nurse

Innocent in the murder of Symon, Antler Men, Allar Deem- As King's Hand he speaks with the king's voice, and the King is Law.

Innocent of inciting the Vale Clans- The promise he made them was that they would have the Vale, I believe. I don't remember him mentioning the smallfolk.

Innocent of Health Violations- If thoroughly cooked I don't see harm

Am I not playing right?

Oh yeah, and the sentence would be life on the Wall.

That's fine.

That sounds similar to the law in England, whereby a Defendant can be acquitted of murder, but convicted of manslaughter, on grounds of diminished responsibility, or provocation.

Archived